We acknowledge the customer demand for Private Channels and have been hard at work on it. Private Channels is currently in preview with a select group of customers. We expect to release the feature to the public later this Fall, and will update here when we are starting to roll out to all customers. We appreciate all the feedback you have provided to us on this forum and thank you for your patience.
From my side same comment as below regarding the survey: i think being able to merge and split is much less important then being able to privatize a channel. Why no survey about that?
I work for a big organisation and Teams will become our main collaboration tool. Therefore the private channel feature is very important to us.
1) Will it be possible as a team owner to select one or more owners for a private channel, i.e. without giving these "channel owners" team ownership?
2) Will it be possible to give access to a guest in a channel, and make sure that guest cannot access any other channel? (i.e. NOT adding guest to the team, ONLY to the channel). Other team-members in such channel should be just inherited from the team, so no deliberate action to "privatize" the channel.
This will be very useful to collaborate with externals, by giving them only access to a portion of the team information, files and communication, while all other team members have full access.
3) How will the files of a private channel be stored in the background Sharepoint site? Will they be stored in the library "Documents" in a folder (just like a normal channel) but with special permissions?
4) Will it be possible to "privatize" a normal channel and vice versa?
5) Will it be possible to hide the private channel in the left side navigation from non-channel-members? (in my mind this should be an option, not default behaviour)
6) How will a user see in an easy way who are the co-members in his private channel?
7) Will a user who is not member of the private channel, but member of the team, be able to see who are the owners and members of the private channel? (in my mind this should be default available)
Thanks for following our suggestion to vote this up on SharePoint. It worked! SharePoint has confirmed that they have already started working on this and I’ll be getting an ETA from them after the holidays. -Suphatra
As mentioned in the prior status, the channel limit was raised from 100 to 200.
In the near future a retention limit will be set so you can still go back and reinstate a channel you had deleted. Once the retention period has expired then the channel will get a hard delete which will free up the space and no longer count toward the 200 channel limit.
This will help with some of the issues you have voiced in the comments below.
But I understand many of you wish the limit to be further increased. I will continue to provide your votes and comments to the feature team.
We want to use channels to differentiate between different projects. Each project will be handled by a subgroup of the members of the team. We have about 350 new projects each month, for each we need a channel. We have no idea in advance how long a channel will be used actively. It could be one week, it could be 5 years, depending on the project evolution, which we can't predict. Also a channel may be active one week, then be inactive for some months and become active again. Ideally we would like to have a "limitless" number of channels, but we could live with about 5000 channels (covering one year). The channels will not be accessed through the Teams interface, but through links in another interface.
Naeem, do I understand well that you mean allowing in a team (channel) to select one of the views that was defined on the Sharepoint library?
I have exactly the same requirement. I have a team with different channels. One of the channels I would like to use for document sharing only (embedding a sharepoint library). Therefore I would like to hide or remove the conversation tab in that channel. As a result, when the user enters that channel he would get the sharepoint library view right away.
The other channels will be used for conversations by subteams, less so for document sharing.
As part of our commitment to being customer driven, we’d love your input on top features that will improve your satisfaction with teams and channels navigation, and help you be more productive in Teams. Please access the survey here: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR7hW7rKdVrVInUSM809cvrtUNFhLRVNJVVhaUFI0WEJHVTA4MlpGWVZUSS4u
Thanks for your feedback!
This feature request is working its way through the backlog queue. No new details are available yet.