Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. User Pronouns

Many of my classmates either have androgynous names or use pronouns that others might not assume (they/them). For non-binary and transgender classmates, it's hard to know how to refer to them. In many cases, pronouns aren't on teachers or students minds', so students accidentally get misgendered. Having pronouns next to names (maybe optional) would be an easy quick-hand way of communicating the best way to refer to your peers.

835 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

114 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Group calendar visible in Teams with Calendar Tab in Teams

I see that a group calendar shows up in Outlook online when a group is created in Teams. Could this calendar be accessible directly from Teams?

722 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The team is making progress on showing Office 365 group calendars in Teams. We will share more details as we have them.

Meanwhile, feel free to share what types of meetings do you create in the group calendars for classes and staff?

Gordon Chang from Teams

3. make the default setting for video calls "Fit to Frame"

When video calls are made to multiple people, the camera tries to pan and find each person in the room instead of being fixed. I would like to be able to set the cameras as "fit to frame" instead of having to click each user and do that.

675 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I

I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I use each channel as a module.

662 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Justin Chando responded

Thank you everyone for the additional feedback on this feature request! We’ve read all your comments and are currently investigating what we can do to help.

5. Improve teacher feedback on assignments: zoom, rotate, write on image/pdf, upload file...

It would be very useful, for a teacher, to have the following features when working with assignments - in addition to the already present "feedback" option:

1. zoom and rotate also images, not only .pdf;

2. write or draw (make annotations) on images and .pdf files;

3. upload a file (image, pdf, office doc,...) together with the feedback - for instance, I could write something in the feedback and then upload a file with the complete solution of a given excercise.

These features could save a teacher a lot of time and, at the same time, make the feedbacks much more effective for…

652 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Incorporate "Take a Test" app into Teams

Add the functionality of "Take a Test" app into Teams by using Office 365 account. You can use Office 365 login to create a profile on the machine that only allows single application to run. The teacher could then assign a test to a class and would allow for student monitoring by the teacher thru the Office 365 connection.

612 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Justin Chando responded

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this. As more educators look for ways to create secure assessments (especially remotely) this is one of the options we are investigating.

7. Make Class Materials folder accessible through Teams mobile apps

Currently the Class Materials read only folder is not accessible in Teams IOS app

606 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

135 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Assign Assignments to specific channels

It should be possible to assign Assignments to specific channel(s). Now, each Assignment is posted in the general channel.

568 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

103 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Assignments for more than 200 people

We want to use a Team for our whole school to submit responses to different optional challenge activities. We have over 1000 students in our middle school, and have created a team with all the students loaded. However, when we try to create Assignments in this team, we see a message that Assignment functionality is not available in Teams with more than 200 members. This means we can't use Teams for this purpose (gathering artifacts of various kinds from students across our school).

560 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Inking in Assignments

Comments alongside an assignment are often inadequate and direct annotation on the document with inking would be preferable. At present it is only possible to ink on an assignment if clicking through several buttons and completing dual authentication to download file to desktop. Inking should be present on screen instantly within Teams with no need to select edit or download to desktop to edit. Inking is available in OneNote it should be available in all online apps!

557 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Audio Feedback in Assignments

Ability to both dictate and give feedback via an audio file in MS Teams on assignments.

541 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

95 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Announcement feature - to be able to schedule this in advance to post on a certain day/time so announcements ready to go for 2 weeks out

Most teachers plan for instruction a couple weeks at a time. Being able to set the ANNOUNCEMENT feature to be "scheduled" to post in the thread at a certain date/time would be HUGE improvement to teacher workflow. I want my students to see the ANNOUNCEMENT for the day with all instructions and then my scheduled assignments fall in line below the ANNOUNCEMENT for the day. Not being able to schedule this in advance to post each day of the week and to have things all set up for 1-2 weeks at a time is a HUGE break in normal teacher…

501 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Read receipt in conversation - see who has read a post in a channel

Now I post a message in a thread/conversation, but I have no idea how many has read it.

499 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is being reviewed by the feature team. No new details to share at this time.

Meanwhile, feel free to share why you need this in class teams / staff teams, and what you need to see (ie # read / list of users read / timestamp of read) and for what purpose.

Gordon Chang from Teams

14. Returned assignments should show up as "Graded" or as "Needs Revised."

When I return an assignment to a student for any reason, it just says "Returned." There should be an easy way for the student to see if the assignment has been "Graded" or if it "Needs Revised" so that the student knows there is more they need to do.

491 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Parent view

Need to put assignments into pupil's Outlook calendar so that they can share a read only link with parents. This would enable parents to see all upcoming assignments for their child, i.e. a parent view of assignments.

Alternatively, give parents a code linked to their child's account that will allow them to see selective team content including all assignment details. Teachers should be able to select whether parents can see everything, particular channels, or just assignments.

475 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Need to be able to schedule announcements ahead of time!

Would like to schedule morning announcements for the whole week!

471 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

46 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Upload Assignment Files Larger Than 50Mb

Our Music Tech class wants to use Assignments but we can't upload our videos as they all much larger than 50Mb. Most of our videos are at least 500Mb. Would it be possible to increase the maximum file size? Thanks :)

450 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Justin Chando responded

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We are planning to increase the limit for uploaded files in Assignments! I will be sure to update you all as this feature progresses.

18. Give teachers the option of creating a "sample student" so they can demonstrate for students from the student view

Give teachers the option of creating a "sample student" so they can demonstrate for students from the student view

435 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Remove "Staff Notebook" from Microsoft Teams for Education

I am not sure if this is a bug or not but we are using Microsoft Teams educational licenses. We want to use the Teams for our internal staff departments first. For some reason the setup of teams includes extra educational features like it force creates a OneNote tab called "Staff Notebook" in the General channel of each team. the OneNote includes a lot of classroom type customization that we do not want/need. Our departments have their own OneNotes. I cannot delete Staff Notebook tab or even rename it. I can add and delete other OneNotes but we want a…

430 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  UX & Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! If you do not want to use the OneNote Staff Notebook or any of the other default tabs across the various team types, we suggest creating an ‘Anyone’ team instead.

The ‘Anyone’ team will not include any add-ons by default and gives you the flexibility to use Teams however you would like. We understand that there are so many other ways you can use Teams that does not fit the Class/PLC/Staff team template. So ‘Anyone’ will be your best option!

More information on the different team types in Teams for Education can be found here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose-a-team-type-to-collaborate-in-microsoft-teams-0a971053-d640-4555-9fd7-f785c2b99e67

Feel free to reply back here if you have additional feedback.

Thank you!
    Justin

20. Head of School or Subject Observer Role

It would be very helpful to have an 'observer' or 'manager' role. We are a school and heads of subject or departments want to be shared owners of several classes, but do not want to be active teachers. (I could imaging in the business world, a department manager may want such an 'observer' role too.) If someone is an observer/manager/moderator, they would be able to easily control the number of notifications they get to reduce the amount of noise these can create when you belong to a lot of different teams. As they belong to a large number of teams,…

402 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base