Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to record meetings in private channels

Holding meetings in private channels is really useful (students don't need to know when instructional staff is meeting), but I want the ability to record them like I can in a general channel. Recording 1-1 meetings would also be helpful to international students who could then review them.

474 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

43 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Group Assignments

Sometimes I like to have my students turn in their assignment as a group, so I only read and grade one paper from a group of 3 or 4 students. It would be great if Teams Assignments could support that. So that either the students or the teacher (or best them both) can choose who this assignment is for/from.

Hope it makes sense?

449 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  33 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Incorporate "Take a Test" app into Teams

Add the functionality of "Take a Test" app into Teams by using Office 365 account. You can use Office 365 login to create a profile on the machine that only allows single application to run. The teacher could then assign a test to a class and would allow for student monitoring by the teacher thru the Office 365 connection.

418 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Assign Assignments to specific channels

It should be possible to assign Assignments to specific channel(s). Now, each Assignment is posted in the general channel.

392 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I

I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I use each channel as a module.

381 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove "Staff Notebook" from Microsoft Teams for Education

I am not sure if this is a bug or not but we are using Microsoft Teams educational licenses. We want to use the Teams for our internal staff departments first. For some reason the setup of teams includes extra educational features like it force creates a OneNote tab called "Staff Notebook" in the General channel of each team. the OneNote includes a lot of classroom type customization that we do not want/need. Our departments have their own OneNotes. I cannot delete Staff Notebook tab or even rename it. I can add and delete other OneNotes but we want a…

356 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  UX & Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone! If you do not want to use the OneNote Staff Notebook or any of the other default tabs across the various team types, we suggest creating an ‘Anyone’ team instead.

The ‘Anyone’ team will not include any add-ons by default and gives you the flexibility to use Teams however you would like. We understand that there are so many other ways you can use Teams that does not fit the Class/PLC/Staff team template. So ‘Anyone’ will be your best option!

More information on the different team types in Teams for Education can be found here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/choose-a-team-type-to-collaborate-in-microsoft-teams-0a971053-d640-4555-9fd7-f785c2b99e67

Feel free to reply back here if you have additional feedback.

Thank you!
    Justin

7. Read receipt in conversation - see who has read a post in a channel

Now I post a message in a thread/conversation, but I have no idea how many has read it.

354 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is being reviewed by the feature team. No new details to share at this time.

Meanwhile, feel free to share why you need this in class teams / staff teams, and what you need to see (ie # read / list of users read / timestamp of read) and for what purpose.

Gordon Chang from Teams

8. Inking in Assignments

Comments alongside an assignment are often inadequate and direct annotation on the document with inking would be preferable. At present it is only possible to ink on an assignment if clicking through several buttons and completing dual authentication to download file to desktop. Inking should be present on screen instantly within Teams with no need to select edit or download to desktop to edit. Inking is available in OneNote it should be available in all online apps!

337 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow to split meeting in separate sessions (breakout rooms)

For online trainnings, we wish to allow to split a meeting into separate sessions. The meeting host can choose to split the participants of the meeting into these separate sessions automatically or manually and can switch between sessions at any time.

The teacher can host a meeting for all classroom and divide sub meetings for students work in small groups and after that they can return to main meeting with all students.

335 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Announcement feature - to be able to schedule this in advance to post on a certain day/time so announcements ready to go for 2 weeks out

Most teachers plan for instruction a couple weeks at a time. Being able to set the ANNOUNCEMENT feature to be "scheduled" to post in the thread at a certain date/time would be HUGE improvement to teacher workflow. I want my students to see the ANNOUNCEMENT for the day with all instructions and then my scheduled assignments fall in line below the ANNOUNCEMENT for the day. Not being able to schedule this in advance to post each day of the week and to have things all set up for 1-2 weeks at a time is a HUGE break in normal teacher…

321 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. LTI Integration

With Teams replacing Class Notebook, there is a focus to use this in Education. If Teams worked with LTI, it would allow Learning Management Systems such as Moodle and Canvas to assign users to a Team through direct single sign on. This creates a more seamless experience for students and decreases the amount of admin needed to get them in.

Further to this, each group inside an LMS could be given a separate team or private channel in Teams to Collaborate. This would be massively beneficial for Education.

318 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks to all of your feedback and thanks to our partners and their tireless efforts, we’ve made it possible for you to now set up a Microsoft Teams meeting for your online classroom directly from within your learning management system (LMS).

This new capability allows you to quickly enable remote learning for your students and faculty by bringing the power of Teams directly into your LMS. We already have integrations launched across the world’s top LMSs; Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, Schoology, and itsLearning!

Learn more about these new integrations and get started today here; https://educationblog.microsoft.com/en-us/2020/03/microsoft-teams-meeting-creation-now-available-in-canvas-blackboard-schoology-brightspace-and-itslearning/

The best part is this is only the beginning because as Teams evolves, we’ll continue to improve our LMS integrations as well. Thank you!

12. Upload Assignment Files Larger Than 50Mb

Our Music Tech class wants to use Assignments but we can't upload our videos as they all much larger than 50Mb. Most of our videos are at least 500Mb. Would it be possible to increase the maximum file size? Thanks :)

307 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Live event concurrency

Increase the number of concurrent live events to more than 15 per tenant - required to enable large cohort remote teaching which is a massive priority for universities at the time of the Coronavirus worldwide incident.

Universities will often have more than 15 large lectures running at the same time and increasing the number of live events to 30 or 45 will allow universities and colleges to remotely teach large numbers concurrently

267 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Download all assignments button

Almost all schools require the ability to download assignments and upload them to district-systems, print a batch of assignments, provide them to external audits etc.

The functionality is already there (navigate to the correct document library and then click 'download').

Simply add the UI option for a teacher to do this without knowledge of SharePoint libraries.

Surely this wouldn't require too much engineering to make it happen?

265 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve teacher feedback on assignments: zoom, rotate, write on image/pdf, upload file...

It would be very useful, for a teacher, to have the following features when working with assignments - in addition to the already present "feedback" option:

1. zoom and rotate also images, not only .pdf;

2. write or draw (make annotations) on images and .pdf files;

3. upload a file (image, pdf, office doc,...) together with the feedback - for instance, I could write something in the feedback and then upload a file with the complete solution of a given excercise.

These features could save a teacher a lot of time and, at the same time, make the feedbacks much more effective for…

259 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Increase maximum meeting participants to 500

Currently, meetings are limited to 250 participants.
    We have several departments within our organization containing 250-500 employees.
    Because the current Teams meeting maximum size is 250, we use other applications to host meetings for these departments.
    We would like to be able to use Teams for these larger group meetings.
    Please increase the number of participants in meetings to 500.

259 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is being reviewed by the feature team. No new details to share at this time.

Meanwhile, feel free to share the ideal maximum participants in a meeting, what type of meetings are those (lectures? staff meetings? school wide announcement?) Are all participants students? Thanks,

Gordon Chang from Teams

17. Add a Sway

Add the possibilty to add Sways to a Team

246 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

Unfortunately I need to switch this back to Under Review. The feature team is investigating how best this could be implemented.

-Warren

18. make the default setting for video calls "Fit to Frame"

When video calls are made to multiple people, the camera tries to pan and find each person in the room instead of being fixed. I would like to be able to set the cameras as "fit to frame" instead of having to click each user and do that.

240 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Alert students of feedback when assignment is graded.

Students need an alert telling them, or a direct link to graded assignments so they are prompted to read feedback given by a teacher. As it stands. Teachers can put feedback but students have no prompt to read that information or even know that an assignment has been graded.

232 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. pdf markup

It would be absolutely awesome if you could incorporate the current OneDrive mobile app's function to markup PDF files stored in "files"

206 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base