Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to prevent students from editing files

If Files is going to replace classroom then the owner of the team needs to be able to decide if a file can be edited or not. Some files i need my students to be able to edit for homework, others i do not want them to change so i should have an option which enables or disables edit function for members when i upload a file.

336 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

27 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Justin Chando responded

We are excited to share that the read only folder, ‘Class Materials’ now comes built in to the Files tab of every class team! You should now see the Class Materials folder on new class teams as well as your existing ones.

You can read more about Class Materials here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

Thank you so much for everyone’s passionate feedback.
    - Justin

2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are excited to share that you can now share files with your students that they can read but not edit using the ‘Class Materials’ folder in your General channel. This is a great way to share documents like syllabi, school rules, and reference materials with the class.

You can learn more about this here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

3. Read only access for a Security Group in Azure AD

I would like to be able to restrict access to the files in the multiple Teams channels to read only. This would allow for our students and the researchers we support to have different levels of access to the files, and allow them to use the other functions such as conversations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are excited to share that you can now share files with your students that they can read but not edit using the ‘Class Materials’ folder in your General channel. This is a great way to share documents like syllabi, school rules, and reference materials with the class.

You can learn more about this here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base