Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Popout Chat

Skype for Business 2016 had the ability for separate chats to be in separate windows. It would be cool if this was possible for chats within teams.

274 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hooray! Multi-Window chat has been a long-awaited feature, and it is rolled out fully to the general public. Please be sure to “check for updates” and restart your client if you aren’t seeing it.

For more information, please visit https://support.office.com/en-us/article/pop-out-a-chat-in-teams-cff95cb0-34af-423f-8f69-fe9106973790.

Note: Multi-Window Meetings is tracked in this item: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053/suggestions/37031683

Enjoy!

2. Ability to delete conversations

We need to have the ability to delete posts in the conversations tab! Even as a teacher, occasionally I want to delete something.

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  15 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Let the Teacher (owner) delete a conversation posted by a student (member).

Currently the Teacher (owner) can only mute the student (member), and ask the student to delete their conversation post.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Cameron responded

Teachers can have the ability to delete conversation posts in Teams by having your IT Admin enable the “Allow owners to delete all messages” setting in the O365 admin control center. Please reach out to your IT Admin to have this setting enabled for your school.

4. Add a "Mute all" button

Add a "Mute all" button in the settings to mute all students' conversation by one click instead of clicking one by one.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded

This feature request has released!
    Thank you for your feedback and input.

-Warren

5. In the Class Team please add the ability to attach links to videos, sways, forms, and links to Office mixes

As an instructor I would like the ability to link a video, sway, Office mix, and forms that can support my students learning. In Classroom teachers were able to add many of these options. These are vital tools to engage learners.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Cameron responded

We shipped this feature where both teachers and students can add web links

6. Locking the Chat function

Provide an option to lock the chat functionality across all teams. There are scenarios where learners need to work independently and where they may not collaborate e.g. during a practical computer applications exam.
    If Microsoft Teams remains as open as it currently is - I'll have to find a way to disable it completely during such times.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Suphatra responded

Hi everyone, this feature has shipped! Tenant admins can now disable private chat for Microsoft Teams. You’ll start to see it in your Teams immediately.

Here’s how it works:

1. Navigate to the admin portal
    2. Click on “Settings”
    3. Then click on “Services & add-ins”
    4. Then click on “Microsoft Teams”
    5. Here you’ll find your Tenant-wide settings. Click on “Messaging”.
    6. Select the license type you want to configure.
    7. Toggle off “Allow users to chat privately”. This will remove private chat from students. Please allow up to 24 hours for a change in this setting to complete. You can use it selectively enable and disable private chat from any groups of users so long they share a license type.

Thank you for all your help and feedback, please let me know if you have any issues regarding this feature.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra
    Microsoft Teams

7. Read-only option

In teams files, can we please have an easy way to mark files uploaded as 'read-only'. I don't want my students to be able to edit the files I am sharing with them, but I also don't want to have to create a pdf of every single document I upload. Also, I have students who open a file and then I can't edit it, so if the file is in read-only, students can't open it and lock it from editing from me.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Justin Chando responded

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are excited to share that you can now share files with your students that they can read but not edit using the ‘Class Materials’ folder in your General channel. This is a great way to share documents like syllabi, school rules, and reference materials with the class.

You can learn more about this here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

8. Ctrl+F goes to search (or Cmd+F for Mac)

... you know, like every other program.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base