Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. View all unread messages for a team

If I have unread messages across several channels on one team, I would like an "All Unread" option (similar to Slack) where it shows all the unread messages divided by channel. It's a good way to catch up on everything in the morning without a lot of clicking around.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Monitoring chats

For the educational platform, the educator should have more control over the private chat between students.
    -Teachers should be able to see private chats between students
    -Teachers should be able to turn off the student:student chats, and only allow chats where teacher is a member.
    -Teachers should be able to not allow students to chat between classes.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Turn off chat/conversations for that team/class

Within teams for classrooms it would be great to be able to turn off chat/conversations for that team/class

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. block private chat for groups of students

So we can turn off the chat for everyone, or just the students apparently. But what if you want to allow access to say the grade 12's but not the grade 9's? Or to the science class but not the music class? Can this be done? I would like to see the ability to block specific student groups rather than all students

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Paste as plain text

It would be very appreciated to add "paste as plain text" as an option when pasting text.

We constantly paste code or formatted text and it's rare to want to keep the original format. I'm constantly pasting and copying into an intermediate text application to remove formatting.

We need this feature in Linux and Windows app

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. make it easy to delete chats

make it easy to delete a chat

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have an option to turn ON and OFF the chat box during a meeting.

It would be nice to have an option of turning ON and OFF the chat box throughout a Teams meeting. The chatbox is a useful feature, but it does not need to be available during the entire meeting. From my experiences of teaching live on Microsoft Teams, the chatbox can become a social distraction when a lesson or instructions are being given. The students are frequently distracted and tempted to send emojis and GIFs to peers rather than focusing on their learning.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sound volume

When I receive a message in Teams, it makes an almost inaudible sound even though I have my volume turned up fairly loud. Please allow the notification volume to be adjustable, and also allow us to pick our own notification sound from a list.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Admin/Owner ability to delete messages in a channel.

As a team administrator it is vital that the assigned owners of teams channels have the ability to delete any message in a team channel. This is a feature that will cause my entire company to stop using Teams if not addressed.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Message pop up in front of student

A way to send a message to the student but not in the chat box. For it to pop up in front of them. Sometimes we need for kinder kids to click on a link, but they have a hard time locating chat box. Or we might need to grab the attention of a child through a private message that pops in front of them right away.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Give the option to select and delete multiple chat messages at once (A multiple select option).

Having to delete inappropriate messages from students in chat as a teacher is infuriating. Please add the option to select multiple messages as admin so that I don't have to delete them all individually!

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Notification banner privacy option.

It should be possible to hide the content of incoming notifications. In school the teacher laptops are often connected to Interactive Whiteboards which the class pupils are looking at.

When a notification comes in it will show the content of the message which is obviously not good when this is easily visible by the entire class and could contain private information.

The Teams desktop app really needs the option to hide the message content and instead just show the banner with only the name of the sender displayed.

Thank you.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Deleting and Editing Chat Messages

It would be nice to be able to edit and delete a chat message (in case you notice a grammatical error or message the wrong person/group).

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Disable the chat

As an elementary teacher, it would be incredibly helpful for the chat feature to be able to be completely disabled. They are not old enough yet to properly use the chat, and it is extremely distracting to themselves and to others when they chat is firing off nonstop.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. delete chats and group chats permanently

oh.. my gosh this feature is so bad i really hate ms teams. i searched the whole of internet on how to delete private chats and group chats. whatsapp has this feature. even in gail u can delete mails. even on social media u can. so... y not on teams... i dont get it. MS TEAMS PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE PLEASE PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE update this feature... its urgent

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please add a print feature to Teams Chat

Please add a print feature to Teams Chat

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. blocking

Block kids who are spamming people or being toxic

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a tenant-level moderation channel moderation setting

Allow admins to manage channel conversation moderation settings at a tenant level or via policy

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. increase group chat size

The current group chat limits the number of participants to 19 or so. I would like to see this expanded, as my team is larger than this and we would like to have the ability to have a group chat.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. reply with a quote

in WhatsApp - people are able to reply to specific messages on the thread - this is most helpful for context and even more important in group chats as several threads of thought could be in the chat... thanks!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base