Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Thumbs Down/Dislike Reaction

Add a thumbs down/dislike reaction for messaging. The angry and sad emoticons often aren't appropriate for expressing disapproval. A thumbs down or dislike reaction would be more useful for professional, academic, and recreational conversation.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Seperate private chats from teams meeting chats

Currently the chat shows all chats from private messages and teams meeting chats. The only options right now are to show recent, contacts, and filter by name. Can there be an option to filter direct contact chats from the teams meeting chats. or have them as a separate tab such as teams meetings tab and the chat tab.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Blinking Notification on Teams Taskbar

When receiving a IM message within Teams, it would be nice for one of the settings to be a blinking notification in the task bar after the original message pops on the screen. Similar to Skype for Business, it would draw my attention to the fact that I have a pending message. It would be nice for that to be a feature under each notification section so someone could turn that on and be alerted with a blinking update notification.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Search and Export/Archive Teams Chats

Would love to be able to easily search chats in teams and also export/access outside of teams in a file.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to export conversation

It would be really nice if you could export the conversation transcript for audit purposes.

Alternatively the ability to print the transcripts into a PDF or Word document would really help. At present it's impossible to pull an extract of the conversation window, particularly useful when recording group project conversations.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. archive conversations and chats

Hi folks, definitely need to see ARCHIVE button for conversations and chats.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Owner is able to delete member posts in conversations

As a teacher, and owner of the team, I need to be able to delete inappropriate comments left in the conversations. This is VERY important to for many reasons but one glaring reason is for language and cyber bullying. I can't be seen to condone such words by not deleting them.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. reply to thread in private chat

Would like to be able to reply to a thread in a private or small group chat the way you are able to in a channel. Since you are not able to start a new chat with the same individual or small private group, this is the only way to keep conversations organized and eliminate confusion when threads get long.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When starting a new chat, it should be possible to select groups of students and teachers.

Now we must choose students one and one. We have many groups of students in Office365 that should be available in the chat function. When we add new members to a Team we can use these groups.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to try to provide clarity on the current functionality because we find that sometimes people are unaware of the settings available to tenant & team admins. There are three different types of edit/delete settings, all of which are switched on/off at the tenant or team level.
    1) Allow users to edit their own messages
    2) Allow users to delete their own messages
    3) Allow owners to delete all messages

Tenant level settings:
    Tenant admins can update capabilities from the “Messaging” section in the Admin center.
    By default, allow users to edit/delete their own messages is ON at the tenant level (and therefore the team level).
    By default, allow owners to delete all messages is OFF by default in all tenants, except in EDU where it is ON by default.

Team level settings:
    If edit and delete settings are enabled by the Tenant admin, team owners can also control…

11. Pop out teams

It would be verry nice if you could pop out a entire team. mutch like popping out a chat.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. let people delete chats permanently

let people delete chats permanently

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Notifications

Rather than having notifications control for "Mentions," "Messages," and "Other," we need to have control of notifications from each Team we may be on and for each channel. I am part of 10 different Teams, but only 3 of them are vital to my day-to-day work. It would be wonderful if I could control how I receive notifications for those and see them based not only on Favorites and current Settings but if I could customize for each team and collaboration.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Comments and reply

Could it be possible in the future that I could add a comment to someone elses comment, reply to specific comment.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. You Should Add An Option to Delete Chats And Disable Chat Notifications

You Should Add An Option to Delete Chats And Disable Chat Notifications

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. ability to approve student posts before they become visible (post moderation)

I would like the ability to screen and approve posts before they are posted to the whole group in conversations instead of muting a person (who then totally doesn't have the ability to ever post).

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Thumbs Down/Dislike Reaction

Add a thumbs down/dislike reaction for messaging. The angry and sad emoticons often aren't appropriate for expressing disapproval. A thumbs down or dislike reaction would be more useful for professional, academic, and recreational conversation.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. give the option to delete chat

delete chat and personal chatting space for students, users, etc

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Blocking People on Chat

My school recently switched over to using teams because of the corona virus pandemic, so anyone in my school can privately chat me. I do not like the feature. 1) you should be able to send a request, asking if I can privately chat with someone. If they refuse, you cannot chat with them. If they accept, you can chat with them. 2) I believe that you should be able to block someone. I have recently been able to mute someone, but I still receive their messages! So please, Microsoft, make a feature that allows people to block people.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. More background options for Announcement banners in the Conversation Tab

It would be great to have more background options for the Announcements I post in the Conversations tab on Teams. I enjoy the current options, but can only post the fire-breathing dragon so many times before it is no longer novel and eye-catching.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base