How can we make Microsoft Teams better for your classroom and staff collaboration?

Ability to delete conversations

We need to have the ability to delete posts in the conversations tab! Even as a teacher, occasionally I want to delete something.

91 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You are able to delete your own messages within a chat or channel. Click the ellipses on your message and you can then use the drop down menu selection of Delete to remove your own message.

You cannot delete old chat threads, but you can hide them by clicking the ellipses and choosing Hide.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michelle S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, as the owner, I can delete any conversations/sub-posts in the conversation, but I can't delete the entire conversation at once...I have to delete each post in the conversation individually. That takes a long time when an entire class has run amok with posting conversations. Would like an option to delete entire conversation, or delete up to a certain post.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I voted for this in another request where it says "allow owners to delete messages". This is crucial as chasing down students to do this is not practical.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Warren: It is not possible to delete conversations by other users given Admin permissions

• Krysta Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like the option to delete the conversations tab all together. The play-by-play of what I'm doing as a teacher from editing items to adding members is just clutter on the screen. My students have a different mode to communicate within their groups, provide feedback, and ask questions so I would like the ability to delete this chat feature. It just turns into a screen full of gifs, emojis, and unrelated content which is distracting to the learning and purpose of teams.

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And if I delete the original message all replies to that message would be deleted as well.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Chat and Conversation pages get cluttered very quickly. The ability to delete posts would greatly benefit those of us that like to keep an organized space for easier collaboration.

• Sara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability for the teacher (owner) of the team to delete old conversations and responses that are inappropriate

Feedback and Knowledge Base