How can we make Microsoft Teams better for your classroom and staff collaboration?

Private Channels - Please add functionality to limit a channel to certain team members!!

I oversee all of the safety committees across our district. Some information is necessary for all committees but I'd love to collaborate with each committee individually as well. The ability to add certain members to certain channels would be SOOOO helpful!

237 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aubrey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
working on it  ·  Warren responded  · 

The feature to support private channels is actively being worked upon!

-Warren

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lina Pilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extremely important feature! Is this on its way?

We would also like to be able to assign student work (through assignment and/or class notebook) to these "channel groups" within the team.

• Sébastien Hamel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last update was 3 months ago... where are we with that feature ? Can't wait to use it! Very usefull! Thank you!

• Francesco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is probably one of the most important features to be added. Hope to receive an update very soon!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need to be able to limit access to certain folders. We're almost a year out from Aubrey's original idea and almost 100 votes. Super eager to hear about an update in the near future.

• Álvaro Reverte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's a good idea also for the classes. If each channel is a topic, it would be good to be able to hide the topics and just visualize the ones we are working on, keeping hidden those that have not yet been seen in the course. It would be a space of "visible" "not visible" as in Moodel.
    Thanks.

• Krista Reading commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to restrict posts/replies by non-owners for all channels I create, not just the General channel.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree. I originally thought that this is how it worked. I was very disappointed to find out that channels were just to organize conversations for the entire team.
    Please make Teams more education-friendly. We need it.

This is an absolute must have feature. I have done a lot of training on Teams for my district over the last couple months and many teachers have communicated they will not use this app until this is available.

• Lucie Hauser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Due to this problem, we've created a lot of teams...it's getting messy. Therefore, this is very important for us. I know it's called "Teams" but we realized that it's not Teams working on Subjects/Problems but Subjects/Problems that need to be resolved by changing Teams. So for us the logic is vice versa. We name our "Teams" after the Project and then decide who should have Access to it.

This is really important for us. If we cannot restrict access to channels within a team, we are going to need hundreds of teams, which will be impossible to work with.

• Brad Cork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great as I want to be able to have an owner channel so the co-owners can have discussions and it would be good at times to be able to put the students into groups.

We have a 8 week rotating system in our Year 10 Science classes. It's okay if we add everyone to the "general channel" but it would even better that students who are studying a certain discipline like Chemistry would be added to the "Chemistry channel". Teachers should be given this option.

It would be nice if different channels of the same team could have different permissions or access rights.

• Clark Shah-Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In tools such as Slack and Ryver, which are very much like MS Teams, there is also the capability of creating private channels. These would be group conversations within smaller subsets of a team - but could be kept private, limiting access to only certain team members. It seems when I create a new channel in MS Teams, the only option is to make it available to ALL team members. So currently, only 1-1 conversations are private, but it would be advantageous to also be able to have small group private conversations and channels within a team.

am i correct in understanding that you want to make it possible to edig which members in a team can have access to a certain channel? because thats what im lacking at the moment.
    If i create a Team consisting of my class i want to be able to create a certain channel within the team for students who need specific intstructions or certain digital aids without the rest of the class having the possibility of wieving that material.

It is really "dumb" to have set up channels open to all team members in an educational setting. OK for corporates but we need to have ability to set groups up that won't have their discussions and content disturbed by members who aren't in that group.

Feedback and Knowledge Base