How can we make Microsoft Teams better for your classroom and staff collaboration?

Don't create an email address when I create a new Team

I have dozens and dozens of Teams...and we are going to create many more. Stop with the email addresses already! They never get used for anything useful and clog up the directory and confuse users. Let me turn off the email creation, or otherwise deactivate the email address automatically that is created. The default should be no working email address.

32 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Damon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has become an issue a few time, especially since students look for addresses in the address book for support, and end up emailing the wrong address. I know this is more a byproduct of the Office 365 Group that's created in the background, but the choice to include the email address in the address book should be an option when creating either a Group or a Team.

• Damon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have hidden group email addresses in our directory, but they still exist. They also still show up if you are a member of a Team and there is apparently nothing we can do to hide them further. I understand the technical reasons as to why, but seriously, WHY? We want to be using Teams, NOT email. Addresses popping up here and there is confusing users and cluttering address books. Time to move away from the old Groups structure.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My district has turned off the Teams application simply because of the fact that it creates a new email within our @domain.org. Teams would be a great addition to our district's platform since we use Microsoft for everything else. However, since there is a new email created for each new Team, we cannot use it. In a district of over 5,000 teachers (alone), this is a deal breaker for our network team.

• Jennifer Gottschalk (Dzeni) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmmm.... this has been an issue for almost six months now and no action on the issue. Disappointing MS. I note that Google Classrooms does not email students and in Moodle students can opt out of receiving system generated emails very easily.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.