How can we make Microsoft Teams better for your classroom and staff collaboration?

Just a Brown Hand

Hello, it's 2017. Teams needs to start supporting multiple skin colors in emoji. Why is the default for thumbs-up, shaking hands, and all other "realistic" emoji still white?

These little things matter, especially now that Teams is available in Office 365 Education tenants. Our young students deserve to see emoji that represent them. Slack is way ahead of Teams on inclusive design: https://medium.com/@uxdiogenes/just-a-brown-hand-313db35230c5

121 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminSuphatra (Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for this suggestion. I routed it to Design — they are pretty swamped on some other key features — but they plan to review this and find a solution. Once they do, I’ll let you know what it is!

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter Palotas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How did you get the default for thumbs-up to be white? When I write :+ followed by pressing <enter> I get a dark colored emoji (which is not what I want in my case). In Slack you can select which skin_tone you want as your default. We need that here too. (Not sure if this is a separate suggestion or falls under this one though)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hahahha yes very well said. I've been thinking about this since we had to change from Slack (which is awesome BTW) to Teams. SMH!

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think what they meant is, you shouldn't have to call out that a woman is 'succesful' because you don't have to call it out for a man.

• Jay F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The only meme for women is called 'successful woman'"
        You have a problem with this? You want to encourage unsuccessful women?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd disagree - they are all yellow circles with no* gender or racial signifiers. Adding gender or racial signifier seems like a backwards step.

*okay some have lipstick or whatever these days

• Joey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of the thumbs up, and other hand emoji are all with white skin. Can we get some diversity up here in 2017?

Feedback and Knowledge Base