How can we make Microsoft Teams better for your classroom and staff collaboration?

Different assessment grade/points formats

I have some course where assignments need to be recorded as Pass, Merit or Distinction (or fail!). It would be really helpful if we could customise the "grade" given to students as this isn't always a percentage or numerical score.

158 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Richard Williams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Comments are closed
    • Carlos Guzman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some really great ideas in this thread. Thanks to Microsoft for listening and creating this platform to share how we do our jobs.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please, our assessments are marked as competent or not yet competent. Hundreds of schools in my country have to mark in the same way.

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. In New Zealand for our senior high school assessments we need grades of N, A, M and E (not achieved, achieved, merit, excellence). I'd also like to give kids grades on a star scale instead of a number (on Moodle we could do this and kids worked hard for five stars - 5/5 is not quite the same).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. This is especially important when using a rubric or schools using standards-based grading systems without point or percentage values! Beginning, Approaching, Meeting, Excelling for example.

• Robyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rubrics!!! We really need the ability to select from a set of possible grading factors and assign points/critieria which conform to a rubric.

• Sherri Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with #2. I'd love to be able to choose the date the assignment is posted and the ability to have it posted on multiple days.

• Alan Mathison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second number two and especially four also. I assigned a project that takes weeks to complete because we do a little each day, but students had to scroll through the weeks to find it by due date.

• Beard Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to use fractions of a point is so important in all subjects but especially math and science and LA

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I grade something on a 5 point scale, I want to be able to issue a 4.5 or a 3.75 score to a student if needed. This obviously can be applied to any grading scale. If a student takes a math test and gets a half point, there should be a way to issue that half point. This was the same problem that Microsoft Classroom had and seems like it would be an easy fix.

Ditto on all of these, but I am particularly interested in numbers 2 and 4. Students need to be able to see what's coming up for the entire month, and teachers need the ability to control when assignments show up.

The assignment tab is a great addition to the desktop app, however, I feel it still has a way to go. Here are some ideas:

1. Be able to chose a grading type. For example, we use Pass, Merit Distinction.

2. Have a start dates as well as the deadline date.

3. We primarily use pdf files and the learners would need to be able to submit fairly large files.

4. Viewing the assignments would be a lot easier if it was a month view, as if in Outlook calendar. I think it is important that the outlook Calendar and Teams links together, especially from a teachers point of view.

Feedback and Knowledge Base