How can we make Microsoft Teams better for your classroom and staff collaboration?

Ability to prevent students from editing files

If Files is going to replace classroom then the owner of the team needs to be able to decide if a file can be edited or not. Some files i need my students to be able to edit for homework, others i do not want them to change so i should have an option which enables or disables edit function for members when i upload a file.

231 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tracy Pulaski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a function that would make it impossible for anyone other than the person who posted or created a document, to be able to delete it.

• Stu Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the structure in a class/staff OneNote notebook works well, there is the option to have a section that is teacher only. This kind of simple permission setup for files is needed for education when using the system for teaching groups. It is possible to overwrite the default permissions within SharePoint which is good but the single biggest issue with any IT is staff take-up. So a 'wrapper UI' of some kind that lets staff create say a folder for staff only views which then automatically sets the permissions so staff read/write but students invisible is needed.

• Pär Lydmark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this would be great! But while we're waiting for this to be more easily accessible directly in Teams it seems possible to specify this already if you open the files folder in SharePoint. When in Teams, click Files and then Open in SharePoint. In SharePoint you get a panel to the right where you can specify read/write permissions for a folder or file, which makes it possible to set different permissions for team members, team guests and team owners. If you set the General folder as read only for members, then all files you upload there will be read only for the students.

• Pär Lydmark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this would be great! But while we're waiting for this to be more easily accessible directly in Teams it seems possible to specify this already if you open the files folder in SharePoint. When in Teams, click Files and then Open in SharePoint. In SharePoint you get a panel to the right where you can specify read/write permissions for a folder or file, which makes it possible to set different permissions for team members, team guests and team owners.

• Ivo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completetly agree with Jonathan. As long as this ability is not implemented, we can not use Teams for Education.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I always have to go back to sharepoint and restore the original version.

• Noni Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is also necessary for teachers to be able to set permissions for certain Tabs e.g. wiki, so students have read-only rights. I'd like to put my unit overview and links to resources on a Tab, so it is easily accessibly and interactive for students, without them making any changes. I'd really like to use Teams as an LMS - it's getting there but a few more crucial features like this are necessary.

• Jonathan Bowers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. Students permissions need to be limited in a lot of cases. The ability to easily set permissions on files and folders would be great; for example, I might like:

* A folder for collaborative working - full access
        * A folder for submitting files, especially for peer assessment- write and read, but no edit/delete
        * A folder for resources - just read access

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this also, the main use for files will be as a repository for staff. And some students may take the chance to delete content etc to disrupt lessons (sadly)

• Kyle Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is already possible on a per-file basis, it's just not the most intuitive. Open the file, and from the Edit drop down choose Edit in Word Online (Not edit in Teams!) - From there, click Share. At the top of the share window there are three dots, click that and select Manage Access. One of the options should be "Team Name Members" which defaults to Can edit. Change that to view only.

You can also click Open in SharePoint on the main file list and change the access through there by selecting a file, clicking the (i) icon and clicking Manage Access.

I'll still vote for this idea though because it would definitely be easier to either have one global setting for the whole Files tab, or at very least be able to change the default, or have the ability to select multiple files and change the permisssion on them all at once.

Failing that, maybe split it into two tabs for "Class" teams. One tab for Files that are editable for everyone, a second tab, maybe "Resources" that are only editable by teachers?

• Tino P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to change permissions manually under SharePoint/library configuration/permissions for this library and changing permissions from editing to viewing for members?

• Tino P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like using files as a repository of materials only editable by teachers (slideshow presentations, sample materials, study materials...)

• Katherine Porter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow us to specify view-only, comment-only, or edit permissions for individual files. I'd like to be able to share a document with channel members without them being able to make edits to that document.

• Jim Goetz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This same thing happened to me. It would be best if there was a download to Edit in Word option so that students did not have the option to edit private documents in sharepoint.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once document is uploaded. Allow teachers to block students from editing their document by allowing an option to convert documents to PDF while in teams.

Feedback and Knowledge Base