How can we make Microsoft Teams better for your classroom and staff collaboration?

Gradebook/markbook for classes

There should be a gradebook which automatically records results from assignments. A Gradebook is needed to show ALL the students grades for ALL the assignments. Something with weighting and totaling of selected assignments.

150 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

llywelyn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stephen Royle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many thanks for the response, but I still think you are missing the point. I know how to export the grades into Excel, but you have to do this on a assignment by assignment basis and then build your own gradebook. If the grades were collected together by student we would probably not need to export!

This functionality exists in all the online learning systems - e.g. Moodle. The basic requirement would be to show a grid with all the students in a Team/Class down the left and each of the grades for that students going across the top...

Thanks!

I agree with the other contributors, a list of the marks for a particular assignment is ok, but we need to keep track of all the marks we have given to students to make it meaningful. At the moment you need to export the marks to your own spreadsheet or just type them again.

• Florence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren... microsoft don’t have this!! We want a overview from all. Please remove the comment ‘we have this’ and ‘WORK ON IT’

• Sean Grant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. A Gradebook is needed to show ALL the students grades for ALL the assignments. Something with weighting and totalling of selected assignments, that can be interoperably transferred via School Data Sync to a third party SIS or LMS. Wasn't this functionality already available in Microsoft Classroom?

Could this be coded using the App Studio in MS Teams? Is there anyone who has put something together that we could collaborate on?

If Microsoft don't up their game with Teams for Education, we will merely be forced to migrate to another SIS or LMS that already does all of this...

How can you help, Microsoft?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A grade book would be great. Warren stating WE HAVE THIS! is inaccurate. If not a grade book at least a way to download the .csv with all assignments and not just individual assignments. From this thread I don't think Microsoft is listening.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Several months later, this is becoming a deciding factor for my practice. Other services (Markboard/Planboard etc) will do this, but there doesn't seem to be anything from MS to suggest they are actively working on this.

This is becoming a necessary feature that is going to turn me off using Teams. I need to be able to see at a glance which assignments have been turned in, which have been marked/graded and which I have just added comments. The feature is not about the feedback loop but about how many assignments a student has handed in satisfactorily.

• MrsD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Assume that this is still not a feature - I am doing the same as other teachers, using the assignment submission and feedback facility, but then typing my marks into my own Excel spreadsheet. Annoying and time consuming to be honest, especially when students are working at their own pace through the set tasks, I would like to have an overview of who has completed and submitted each assignment, and the marks I have awarded them.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As below, the automatic collation of all marks into one spreadsheet/interface would be ideal. For the teacher: select each class and see the spread of marks across all assignments.
    For the student: see their marks for all assignments (particularly if they are have other subjects, too!)
    The feedback loop is not the feature that is being requested.

• Juan Pablo Gil Galindo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a gradebook is not for an asigment, is a recopilation of asigmnents for a group of asigments during a period of time with points and weights.

I've been using the assignments feature for the first time this week and I have quite enjoyed the flexibility of the feedback - either a general comment or by commenting directly on the student's work. A gradebook which tallies all the assignment marks in a grid is essential, however.

This is the feedback loop for individual assignments. How can we see all the assignments for the class or individual students?

• Esther Penner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great. Thanks so much for the feature. As other users have commented an actual gradebook including an overview of all scores and assignments with the ability to Export it would be super helpful.

In addition it would be great if we could add more score criterias (more than six). In Germany we use a different grading system, so that the limitation to 6 criterias does not work well for us. Would it be possible to integrate the option to add more criterias?

• René commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But can Teams make a gradebook, where I can see the students scores from all the assignments - so I can get a good view of a students progression?

• Mr Grublestein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a welcome addition. Would also love to be able take the class roll then it would be Teams and class note books all the way.

• Robyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now the Export to Excel feature is great, I wish this was available as an ONLINE Excel Cloud based file. This way I can edit and add calculation features directly online.

I agree! The oly thing missing from the Teams/OneNote partnership is a gradebook or an easy way to migrate grades. If Microsoft could add a gradebook I think we might finally have a one stop shop! Imagine that. :-)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base