Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. notify me (the teacher) when a student turns in an assignment

As a teacher of 7 different classes, I have to go into each assignment individually to see when students turn in assignments. This is very time-consuming! Please allow me to set up a notification when a student turns in an assignment.

1,694 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

135 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Justin Chando responded

Thanks for all of the feedback on this one. We are reviewing how we can improve notifications around Assignments in Teams. Please keep the feedback coming!

2. It would be great if students could private message teachers, but NOT each other.

It would be great if students could private message teachers, but NOT each other.

1,383 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

212 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Prevent attendees inviting users within an in progress meeting

Currently, attendees are able to use the participants pane in an ongoing meeting to invite users to the meeting. In an education setting, this means disruptive/cheeky students are able to abuse the invite option to call anybody within the school.. There's absolutely no reason in an educational setting for students to be able to invite anybody they like to a live lesson (meeting) - we make them attendees for a reason!

1,222 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

130 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to schedule meetings in private channels

private channels need to be able to schedule meetings.

1,120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dashboard rather than Conversation as the home page of each Team

Rather than see a conversation as the starting point of each Team, I'd like to see a dashboard. That is, recent conversation activity, Assessments due, calendar events, recent files, homework reminders etc ...

1,040 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for your continued feedback on this feature! We are still evaluating options, so for now the ‘Posts’ tab remains the default first tab for every team.

Great suggestions so far in the comments, but please do continue to share how you would use this feature so we can better understand the use case for our planning.

6. Track student attendance within Teams

Everything is so cool, I love it, but could be possible to add a tab to keep track of the students attendance?

878 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all, thanks for the feedback thus far on attendance tracking.

We would love further details from you to better understand what you are looking for in an attendance tracking feature and to address this as fast as possible:

1. Are you looking to “add a tab”? (original request)
    2. Are you looking for a Gradebook-like experience to track student attendance throughout the class?
    3. Will this be used primarily for online classes and online training, or needed for physical classrooms too?
    4. If you would like the ability to download the student attendance list from within a Teams meeting, could you please upvote this related UserVoice feedback: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/599053/suggestions/39969796

We look forward to hearing from you!

Gordon Chang from Teams

7. Turn in assignments on behalf of in Teams for EDU.

Teachers need a way to turn in an assignment on behalf of students who for some reason aren't able to turn it in themselves, or at least change the status to delivered.

853 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

78 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for all of the feedback around this feature! We are reviewing what the best path forward is for this.

Just so everyone knows in the meantime, teachers can absolutely review any student attached or distributed work in Assignments even if students have not clicked the ‘Turn in’ button. Some of the comments also mention that the work might not be done digitally and submitted a different way, students can also Turn in the assignment without attaching any files/resources or can use the Teams mobile app to take a photo of their paper-based work to submit digitally.

Finally, when you return the assignment as a teacher (even without the student turning in) the feedback loop is also closed. Hope this helps.

8. Ability to record meetings in private channels

Holding meetings in private channels is really useful (students don't need to know when instructional staff is meeting), but I want the ability to record them like I can in a general channel. Recording 1-1 meetings would also be helpful to international students who could then review them.

707 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. LaTeX math input

Allow LaTeX math input into the Teams interface for Education customers.

Currently Edmodo allows some simple LaTeX code (as complex as those that amsmath package recognises!)

644 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

56 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion for all STEM classes! I’ve moved this feature to ‘under review’.

10. Group Assignments

Sometimes I like to have my students turn in their assignment as a group, so I only read and grade one paper from a group of 3 or 4 students. It would be great if Teams Assignments could support that. So that either the students or the teacher (or best them both) can choose who this assignment is for/from.

Hope it makes sense?

522 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  36 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I

I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I use each channel as a module.

476 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for the additional feedback on this feature request! We’ve read all your comments and are currently investigating what we can do to help.

12. Incorporate "Take a Test" app into Teams

Add the functionality of "Take a Test" app into Teams by using Office 365 account. You can use Office 365 login to create a profile on the machine that only allows single application to run. The teacher could then assign a test to a class and would allow for student monitoring by the teacher thru the Office 365 connection.

462 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this. As more educators look for ways to create secure assessments (especially remotely) this is one of the options we are investigating.

13. Read receipt in conversation - see who has read a post in a channel

Now I post a message in a thread/conversation, but I have no idea how many has read it.

387 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is being reviewed by the feature team. No new details to share at this time.

Meanwhile, feel free to share why you need this in class teams / staff teams, and what you need to see (ie # read / list of users read / timestamp of read) and for what purpose.

Gordon Chang from Teams

14. Download all assignments button

Almost all schools require the ability to download assignments and upload them to district-systems, print a batch of assignments, provide them to external audits etc.

The functionality is already there (navigate to the correct document library and then click 'download').

Simply add the UI option for a teacher to do this without knowledge of SharePoint libraries.

Surely this wouldn't require too much engineering to make it happen?

300 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Live event concurrency

Increase the number of concurrent live events to more than 15 per tenant - required to enable large cohort remote teaching which is a massive priority for universities at the time of the Coronavirus worldwide incident.

Universities will often have more than 15 large lectures running at the same time and increasing the number of live events to 30 or 45 will allow universities and colleges to remotely teach large numbers concurrently

285 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a Sway

Add the possibilty to add Sways to a Team

273 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

Unfortunately I need to switch this back to Under Review. The feature team is investigating how best this could be implemented.

-Warren

17. Localization of Microsoft Teams in Albanian language

Dear Sir/Madame,

I’m writing on behalf of the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation of the Republic of Kosovo, regarding the localization of Office 365 and apps in Albanian language.

Some of the apps in Office 365, such as Outlook are already translated and available in Albanian language, but our request is for Microsoft Teams to be localized in Albanian language.

FYI: the region of South East Europe including countries: Kosovo, Albania, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia have around 7 million citizens who’s mother tongue is Albanian.

In this time of Corona Virus we are facing the language difficulties…

172 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SCORM

Please can you build something so we can use SCORM files in Teams, and pull out the scores of quizzes from within them and completion of the materials?

120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Access to Meetings Options when creating a Meeting

Seems to be that you can only change the options for a meeting once it has been created and scheduled.

Please make them available when creating the meeting.

Especially useful if you're using Meet Now for a classroom of children, and you don't want all of them to be a Presenter.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Change Teams type for an existing Team in EDU

In Microsoft Teams for EDU we have four options when creating a new team: Classes, PLCs, Staff Members, Anyone

I would like the ability to change the Team type after creation.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We will be monitoring the votes and further comments.

Currently our recommendation is to create another team with your desired type, and migrate the files, team setup, apps, and members to the new team.

Feel free to comment further on when you may need to change Teams type for an existing team. Is it always right after you create a team?

Gordon Chang from Teams

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base