Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a global admin setting for the default role of meeting attendee

If you want to make meeting attendees Participants by default (so that they can't present, mute you and remove from a meeting), then you have to manually change meeting options of a particular meeting and set "Who can present?". Today this option can't be set globally by default in Teams admin center. Please add this feature.

1,200 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

104 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to announce the ability for admins to change the default value of ‘Who can present?’ in Meeting Options in the Teams client via the new parameter, DesignatedPresenterRoleMode.

- For more information, please visit: https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams
    - For EDU specific information, please visit: https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/policy-packages-edu

Thanks!

2. Remove the feature for removing an attendee from meeting available to any attendee. Make this power available only to organizer.

In Microsoft teams app, every attendee has the power to remove any member of the meeting. This feature is creating a lot of arbitrary misuse and is used as an attempt to crash the meeting. This power should only be available to the organizer.
    Kindly address this issue and make the necessary changes.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The option to allow only the meeting organizer to remove attendees is enabled via presenter & attendee roles:

Presenters can do just about anything that needs doing in a meeting. Attendees have limitations on the actions they can initiate within the meeting, including the following:
    - Present
    - Mute All
    - Remove/Add Users
    - Admit Users from Lobby
    - Start/Stop Recording

For more info, please see the documentation below:
    https://support.office.com/article/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16e019.

Thanks!

3. Prevent students from muting the teacher and each other

Students are currently able to quiet down the teacher and other students by using a "mute all" button that applies to everyone. A setting to prevent students (members instead of owners) from muting other people for others would be much appreciated!

142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The option to allow only the meeting organizer to mute everyone in a meeting is enabled via presenter & attendee roles:

Presenters can do just about anything that needs doing in a meeting. Attendees have limitations on the actions they can initiate within the meeting, including the following:
    - Present
    - Mute All
    - Remove/Add Users
    - Admit Users from Lobby
    - Start/Stop Recording

For more info, please see the documentation below:
    https://support.office.com/article/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16e019.

Thanks.

4. Read-only option

In teams files, can we please have an easy way to mark files uploaded as 'read-only'. I don't want my students to be able to edit the files I am sharing with them, but I also don't want to have to create a pdf of every single document I upload. Also, I have students who open a file and then I can't edit it, so if the file is in read-only, students can't open it and lock it from editing from me.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are excited to share that you can now share files with your students that they can read but not edit using the ‘Class Materials’ folder in your General channel. This is a great way to share documents like syllabi, school rules, and reference materials with the class.

You can learn more about this here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

5. the menu interface is very confusing in ITALIAN version, 2 menu are the same but different meaning -> Attività

in the italian version of the interface there are 2 menu with the label "Attività", with dfferent meaning. They are very confusing, because in other language they are very different. It'simportant to fix this bug

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Languages & Translation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Rubrics - Need ability to delete or edit

Need to be able to delete .a rubric from the list. If I make a mistake on a rubric I want to be able to delete it so I don't mistakenly use it again OR I need the ability to edit the version that shows up in the rubric list when assigning a rubric.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. updating rubrics on assigments

As of right now, if you forget to create a rubric for an assignment, you can't go back and update the assignment to include a rubric.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Need functionality to add a OneNote resource when creating an assignment in iOS Teams app

While on my mobile device (I use iOS, but the suggestion applies to all platforms), I may want to create a page in a Teams-generated OneNote Class Notebook using my mobile OneNote app, then I may want to assign it using my Teams mobile app. I see that I can browse my mobile device's files and my OneDrive, but I can't add a OneNote Class Notebook resource as I can using the Windows laptop version of the Teams app.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are excited to share that you can now share files with your students that they can read but not edit using the ‘Class Materials’ folder in your General channel. This is a great way to share documents like syllabi, school rules, and reference materials with the class.

You can learn more about this here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

10. Private Channels within a Team

It would be very useful to have private channels within teams. This would allow for different ways of working within the same team. This would allow for greater flexibility in the way that classes and members of staff could work. Private channels for ability groups or private channels for line management discussions / quality assurance...

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Private channels enable focused private collaboration among a subset of your team. We are super excited to share that this feature is fully rolled out to the public ring. You can find detailed information on the capabilities and management of the private channels feature here – https://docs.microsoft.com/MicrosoftTeams/private-channels.
    There are four other types of channel functionality on our backlog – feel free to upvote and/or comment on the UV items listed next to each:
    - Channel only members: to enable collaboration with people outside the team in a specific channel, without granting them access to the team itself. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577
    - Shared channels within an organization: allow people in different teams to collaborate on a shared project or v-team in the context of their own teams. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18615565
    - Shared channels across organizations: allow people in an organization other than yours to collaborate on a shared project or v-team. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32987917
    - Public…

11. Add rubric grading

Please add the ability for teachers to go completely paperless and grade with a rubric when they review student work. This could work by attaching and inking on a Word doc or by clicking boxes inside a table. Otherwise teachers are reduced to highlighting descriptors on paper rubrics and then handing them out.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Reuse a Team for new classes

To be able to clear the history of the conversation tabs would be great. Then it's easy to reuse the Team for a new class. Saves time and a lot less Teams are in the loop. I don't mean just the messages (it's possible to delete now one by one) but also the history of actions in the Team. A button for clearing it all at the same time so to speak.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded

This feature has released as of today!

Thank you all for the feedback and support.
    -Warren

13. Read only access for a Security Group in Azure AD

I would like to be able to restrict access to the files in the multiple Teams channels to read only. This would allow for our students and the researchers we support to have different levels of access to the files, and allow them to use the other functions such as conversations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14. Assignment PDF

When student hand in their PDF I have to download the file instead of reading it inline. So I like to see an inline PDF reader.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Sharing Screens in Teams without being in a call

In my organization we are converting from skype for business to teams. in skype we can share our screens without being on a skype call. In teams, in order to share our screens we have to be on a call in teams. It would be nice to be able to share our screen in teams without having to be on a call, similar to the way we can in skype.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Teams for Education fully functional on iPads

We cannot use Teams for Education on an iPad. There is a Teams app for iPads, but it does not have assignments included. The main browsers on an iPad (Safari, Chrome or Firefox) do not support Teams, so we cannot use the browser version as well. Many students use iPads that cannot upgrade to iOS 10, so please make any improvements compatible with iOS 9 iPads.

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ability to delete conversations

We need to have the ability to delete posts in the conversations tab! Even as a teacher, occasionally I want to delete something.

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  15 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a "Mute all" button

Add a "Mute all" button in the settings to mute all students' conversation by one click instead of clicking one by one.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request has released!
    Thank you for your feedback and input.

-Warren

19. I was playing around with Teams with a colleague today and noticed that once an assignment was reviewed by the teacher the student could no

I was playing around with Teams with a colleague today and noticed that once an assignment was reviewed by the teacher the student could not resubmit it. It seems that the only way for a student to resubmit an assignment is to have the teacher create an new assignment.

It's important for student to be given feedback then resubmit if necessary. Please help! Thanks.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Real Time Status Update

Currently, the status will time out after 5 minutes of inactivity in Teams. Is there a way to have it only time out after 5 minutes of inactivity on the computer? For example, Skype for Business updates status based on activity on the computer and not just based on activity in the Skype application itself.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this is officially completed! For the specific issue of status changing to away in Teams when you are still active on the device, there was still a small % of users who saw the broken behavior, but as of today, all should be working correctly. Please note this was a backend fix, so no client update is needed.

If you believe you are still having an issue, please feel free to capture logs by typing Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 1, and send the file from your downloads folder along with detailed repro steps to teamsml@microsoft.com.

Thanks everyone – and enjoy!

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base