Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a global admin setting for the default role of meeting attendee

If you want to make meeting attendees Participants by default (so that they can't present, mute you and remove from a meeting), then you have to manually change meeting options of a particular meeting and set "Who can present?". Today this option can't be set globally by default in Teams admin center. Please add this feature.

1,200 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

104 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We’re happy to announce the ability for admins to change the default value of ‘Who can present?’ in Meeting Options in the Teams client via the new parameter, DesignatedPresenterRoleMode.

- For more information, please visit: https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams
    - For EDU specific information, please visit: https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/policy-packages-edu

Thanks!

2. Raise Hands in Team

The teachers in Hong Kong have been using Teams and OneNote to teach virtually at home during class suspension since early February. It’d be very useful if students are allowed to raise hands to ask a Q during meetings. So, teachers can be alerted and can provide instant feedback to individual students instead of being disrupted or not being aware of individual needs. Thank you very much!

1,108 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Prevent students from muting the teacher and each other

Students are currently able to quiet down the teacher and other students by using a "mute all" button that applies to everyone. A setting to prevent students (members instead of owners) from muting other people for others would be much appreciated!

142 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The option to allow only the meeting organizer to mute everyone in a meeting is enabled via presenter & attendee roles:

Presenters can do just about anything that needs doing in a meeting. Attendees have limitations on the actions they can initiate within the meeting, including the following:
    - Present
    - Mute All
    - Remove/Add Users
    - Admit Users from Lobby
    - Start/Stop Recording

For more info, please see the documentation below:
    https://support.office.com/article/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16e019.

Thanks.

4. Channel meet now - allow meeting options for to control who joins the meeting as presenter or attendee

At the moment our teachers are using the Meet Now feature for their remote lessons. However that does give the students a lot of power over the meeting, as everyone becomes a presenter.

The presenter role can be restricted for a scheduled meeting, and we are looking at building this into the teachers process of running a lesson, but this isn't always possible.

It would be nice to restrict the Presenter role to just Owners from the Team level, and apply that tot all meetings run from that Team.

Or, have an additional policy setting for Presenters in the Teams…

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Remove the feature for removing an attendee from meeting available to any attendee. Make this power available only to organizer.

In Microsoft teams app, every attendee has the power to remove any member of the meeting. This feature is creating a lot of arbitrary misuse and is used as an attempt to crash the meeting. This power should only be available to the organizer.
    Kindly address this issue and make the necessary changes.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The option to allow only the meeting organizer to remove attendees is enabled via presenter & attendee roles:

Presenters can do just about anything that needs doing in a meeting. Attendees have limitations on the actions they can initiate within the meeting, including the following:
    - Present
    - Mute All
    - Remove/Add Users
    - Admit Users from Lobby
    - Start/Stop Recording

For more info, please see the documentation below:
    https://support.office.com/article/roles-in-a-teams-meeting-c16fa7d0-1666-4dde-8686-0a0bfe16e019.

Thanks!

6. Rubrics - Need ability to delete or edit

Need to be able to delete .a rubric from the list. If I make a mistake on a rubric I want to be able to delete it so I don't mistakenly use it again OR I need the ability to edit the version that shows up in the rubric list when assigning a rubric.

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. updating rubrics on assigments

As of right now, if you forget to create a rubric for an assignment, you can't go back and update the assignment to include a rubric.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Private Channels within a Team

It would be very useful to have private channels within teams. This would allow for different ways of working within the same team. This would allow for greater flexibility in the way that classes and members of staff could work. Private channels for ability groups or private channels for line management discussions / quality assurance...

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Private channels enable focused private collaboration among a subset of your team. We are super excited to share that this feature is fully rolled out to the public ring. You can find detailed information on the capabilities and management of the private channels feature here – https://docs.microsoft.com/MicrosoftTeams/private-channels.
    There are four other types of channel functionality on our backlog – feel free to upvote and/or comment on the UV items listed next to each:
    - Channel only members: to enable collaboration with people outside the team in a specific channel, without granting them access to the team itself. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577
    - Shared channels within an organization: allow people in different teams to collaborate on a shared project or v-team in the context of their own teams. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18615565
    - Shared channels across organizations: allow people in an organization other than yours to collaborate on a shared project or v-team. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32987917
    - Public…

9. Private Channels - Please add functionality to limit a channel to certain team members!!

I oversee all of the safety committees across our district. Some information is necessary for all committees but I'd love to collaborate with each committee individually as well. The ability to add certain members to certain channels would be SOOOO helpful!

348 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Private channels enable focused private collaboration among a subset of your team. We are super excited to share that this feature is fully rolled out worldwide (including education users)!

You can find detailed information on the capabilities and management of the private channels feature here – https://docs.microsoft.com/MicrosoftTeams/private-channels.

There are four other types of channel functionality on our backlog – feel free to upvote and/or comment on the UV items listed next to each:
    - Channel only members: to enable collaboration with people outside the team in a specific channel, without granting them access to the team itself. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577
    - Shared channels within an organization: allow people in different teams to collaborate on a shared project or v-team in the context of their own teams. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18615565
    - Shared channels across organizations: allow people in an organization other than yours to collaborate on a shared project or v-team. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32987917
    - Public…

10. Read-only option

In teams files, can we please have an easy way to mark files uploaded as 'read-only'. I don't want my students to be able to edit the files I am sharing with them, but I also don't want to have to create a pdf of every single document I upload. Also, I have students who open a file and then I can't edit it, so if the file is in read-only, students can't open it and lock it from editing from me.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are excited to share that you can now share files with your students that they can read but not edit using the ‘Class Materials’ folder in your General channel. This is a great way to share documents like syllabi, school rules, and reference materials with the class.

You can learn more about this here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

11. Add ability for Parents/Gaurdians to view assignments, etc.

Can we get a parents' app to see when their child's teacher creates an assignment next please?

426 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

58 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re excited to announce that the Weekly guardian email digest is now available!

With this feature enabled, Teams will automatically send parents/guardians a weekly email summary of past and upcoming assignments.

How to get started:
    1. Setup Parent and Guardian Sync on Microsoft School Data Sync (SDS) and bulk add all your guardian emails: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/schooldatasync/parent-contact-sync

2. Then O365 Admins can enable the ‘Weekly guardian email digest’ setting inside the new Assignments settings in the Teams Admin Center. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/expand-teams-across-your-org/assignments-in-teams

We can’t wait to hear your feedback.

12. Assignment functions in Teams mobile app

I'm planning on using teams for classes the year. The phone app seems to be very limited. Is there a way to view assignments through the mobile app?

362 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

66 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Individual Student Assignments Overview

Both the student and the teacher need somewhere to view all the assignment that the student has submitted, together with grades and feedback. When grading, it is a crucial feature for the teacher to be able to get an overview on what the student has done, if assignments have been missed and how the assignments were graded.

334 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news, each of your class teams now has a Grades tab where you can view assignments at a glance as well as track how individual students in your class are progressing. Clicking on a student’s name in the Grades tab takes you to their individual progress.

More info: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/track-student-progress-in-the-grades-tab-bc76ffde-bbf7-4db6-b443-735a07e32de0#ID0EACAAA=View_individual_student_progress

14. TurnItIn Integration

Please reach out to TurnItIn to develop an app that works with TurnItIn.

The 'assignments' functionality is fine for primary schools. Secondary schools need better integration with TurnItIn.

207 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Turnitin is available in Microsoft Teams for built-in similarity checks on student assignments. This option streamlines the grading process, while reinforcing to students the importance of creating authentic work.

Note: A Turnitin license is required in order to use the integration with Assignments in Teams. If you have a Turnitin subscription, IT Admins can sign up to enable the integration.

More info: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-turnitin-with-microsoft-teams-24c753ca-d75c-41d7-a6c0-1976cfe30093

15. Ability to prevent students from editing files

If Files is going to replace classroom then the owner of the team needs to be able to decide if a file can be edited or not. Some files i need my students to be able to edit for homework, others i do not want them to change so i should have an option which enables or disables edit function for members when i upload a file.

336 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are excited to share that the read only folder, ‘Class Materials’ now comes built in to the Files tab of every class team! You should now see the Class Materials folder on new class teams as well as your existing ones.

You can read more about Class Materials here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-folders-to-create-read-only-files-for-students-or-other-team-members-0e7791d7-8c9c-4749-9bca-984289477988

Thank you so much for everyone’s passionate feedback.
    - Justin

16. Ability to delete conversations

We need to have the ability to delete posts in the conversations tab! Even as a teacher, occasionally I want to delete something.

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  15 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. resubmit an assignment after scores have been posted

Right now, it seems like students can only see feedback on an assignment if the scores have been posted. But once the scores are posted students are not allowed to redo that assignment and resubmit the work based off of the teacher's feedback.

153 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Same functionality as regular Class Notebook

I've set up several class notebooks through both onenote and now in teams. I can't see where I can have a teacher only area in the ones created through teams. Second area of concern is using the class notebook addin in onenote 2016 to edit notebooks created in teams. Lastly I set up a staff notebook in both apps to see the differences. I cannot see the different sections through the teams site on either (I linked my other staff notebook) notebook. So questions are these items still being added?

195 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Class Notebook  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded

This feature request has been completed and released to the public!! :)

-Warren

19. Bring the waffle menu into teams online experience

Every app in O365 should have the waffle menu visible (its the new 'start' button of the online experience so please make sure when you launch a new product/rebrand old ones it has the waffle for navigation.

199 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  UX & Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded

This item has been completed and was released to the public!

Thank you for all the feedback.
    -Warren

20. Make Teams for Education fully functional on iPads

We cannot use Teams for Education on an iPad. There is a Teams app for iPads, but it does not have assignments included. The main browsers on an iPad (Safari, Chrome or Firefox) do not support Teams, so we cannot use the browser version as well. Many students use iPads that cannot upgrade to iOS 10, so please make any improvements compatible with iOS 9 iPads.

93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base