Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I would like to receive notifications when files are uploaded.

As of right now, I receive no notifications when a file is uploaded. I searched notification settings and do not see this as an option. Please allow this option as it is a necessity for those of us who work remotely and need to share files.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Leaving Files

When leaving an open file, either by hitting the close or back button, return to the previous place in the file hierarchy rather than to the root folder.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to stay in Files tab when selecting another channel

When browsing through the files tab of a channel, you sometimes realise you need to look through other channels to find the files you are looking for. It would be good to be able to browse around the files tab of several channels without having it revert back to the conversations tab each time.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Files Shared with you on One Drive

Before we found out about Microsoft Teams, my teammate shared a One Drive folder with all the members of our team so that we can share and store our deliverables in a centralized storage.

After we found out about Microsoft Team, we wanted to still be able to access the shared One Drive within Microsoft Team so that we will not need to work with 2 separate platforms to store our deliverables.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow an existing Sharepoint to mapped to the team file tabe

Our organization works on SharePoint. We like the look of Teams but need files to work directly with SharePoint. While Teams is intended for a wide audience that may not have SharePoint Licenses, i.e. Students in a class, it would be nice to allow Teams creators to link the Files tab to an existing SharePoint or at the very least be able to delete/hide the files tab.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. A counter to see how many students have downloaded a file in Teams

It would be great to have a counter to see how many students have downloaded a files or viewed a file I have uploaded as the teacher into the files section of Teams

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add virtual manipulatives for students to use within Teams.

This feature would take Teams to a whole new level compared to competitors. A library of virtual manipulative that teachers can drag into the meeting screen for students to see on an interactive whiteboard. For example, fraction parts, area tiles, counters, base 10 blocks, ruler, dice, etc.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Show download progress (Files Tab/Downloads) for any kind of file (Currently this is not showing).

You cant see the progress of a download, like when i try to download a meetings video i cant see the progress, i can only see when this is finished.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add student and assignment name to Files uploaded by a student

When a student uploads a file in Teams, the file keeps the random filename my student created. In many cases this is image.jpg or something like that. When you download the file, you end up with hundred of files with meaningless names. My students are 11, and they frequently forget to write their names.

With turnitin.com, when you download student work, the account name of the student is automatically appended to the file name.

It would be great if some kind of id information was appended to the filename so you could sort it easily.

Also, it woud be nice…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. make the class materials folder accessible through teams on ANDROID

I know this is available on IOS but it isn't currently on android

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Dropping files in multiple teams at once

Hello- I'm a former google classroom user trying to adjust to Microsoft teams. Maybe I'm missing it, but I would love the ability to post/upload in a channel to multiple classes at once

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Inserting files into the Teams OneNote from the Teams Files area.

To be able to insert files directly from the Teams 'Files' area within the Teams 'OneNote'. Presently this can only be done by downloading and then uploading.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. a hyperlink option in reply would be fantastic

have the option to hyperlink files

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. THERE SHOULD BE 'SEARCH' OPTION IN 'FILES' TAB

I want to see something on files tab, but cannot see instantly. So I ask you to please add the search option in the Files tab. Please. If you want your project best, please add. My request!!! And also, if I will search a file, then I will know that that file has been moved to which channel or folder and also that is the file has deleted?? Please

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Have a 'Class materials' File in every channel

Can every channel have a 'Class materials' section. Or can there be an option to tick where students can't edit the document.

I have each topic set up as a channel on my Teams page and students keep clicking on the files and editing them by mistake- locking the file/ having a class materials in every channel would be a dream!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. with zoom , I was able to use my IPAD and /or phone as an external camera. I need to be able to do that with TEAMS..

I need to be able to use my IPAD /phone as an external camera, and /or access the activities i have on my ipad so that I can use more materials when I am working one on one with a student. .

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Uploading files on mobile platforms

Some teachers are very frustrated at the fact that students cannot upload files because they are working through mobile platforms. I think that this should be a feature, especially since some people won't have access to computers during this time of crisis.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a URL LINK In TEAMS, under File>New.

In Files it is possible to add a word doc, excel, powerpoint, etc. I would like to have a feature that allows me to just add a url link that will take the user straight to a resource on-line or a website.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make mobile users able to upload files to teams

Users being able to upload files from mobile

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Update Folder modified date/time when a file inside is modified

I think it would be very helpful if Teams would update a folder's modified date/time when a file inside (the folder) is modified. At the moment the data field under "modified" for a folder is either the date/time it was created or when it was last renamed.

This causes recently updated files to perhaps be overlooked or missed when going through a Teams area which has been organized into folders and subfolders. Should this be implemented it would need to include updating the parent folder's date/time both from subfolders and from files directly within that folder, depending on which has…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base