Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Downloading status

It would be great to see a sort of progress bar, showing the percentage of files currently downloaded. When trying to download several podcasts (i.e. more than 1GB), I need to check manually every 2 minutes if the files are finally downloaded.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Download Progress bar

Add a progress bar on downloaded files.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the Files Tab Files and Chat Files Tab Files consistent with each other

When editing a common file between our team, we confused the files in the "File tab" and the "Chat File Tab" as being the same files. This caused some miscommunication between teammates and lead to a paper not fully integrated with each team member's ideas. I would really appreciate personally if Microsoft could make the files consistent among both tabs. Thank you!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. When searching, allow you to open a file location

When using the search bar, then selecting the 'Files' tab - can you please add an option to open the file location in Teams?
    Or, at least, provide a way to see the full location of where the file is in Teams??

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. search shared files in teams chat

see all files & links that were sent in a team's chat

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Link to OneDrive Folder

Please allow to add OneDrive specific folder to the "File" tab. Since some common teaching materials store in OneDrive / SharePoint document library appear in different teams.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Offer a search bar or feature for files

Offer a search bar for the files under teams, otherwise its impossible to search files

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Archiving Groups

My manager accidentally disbanded our group/team. Now all the conversation and files we had uploaded are all gone. Being able to archive that info and to restore or merge it to another group would be very helpful.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Users need method to open downloaded file/folder

When one downloads a file in the desktop app, such as an image from a thread, a pop-up notification says that the file was downloaded, but gives no inkling of where it was downloaded to. Some of our less technical users will find this extremely befuddling. "Where did the file go? Maybe I need to click Download again. And again, and again... Now I'll call IT."

Clicking the download notification should pop open Windows Explorer to the location that the file was saved in (i.e. Downloads), or open the new file itself.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make the default of files as Read Only rather than just in 'Class Materials'

It is great that Class Materials is now available on mobile devices (iOS).

The vast majority of files I make available to students need to be read only. To do this I have to put them into Class Materials but this creates an additional 'click' to get into that file structure.

I would like to see the default for all files as 'Read Only' with an option to change this on a file (or folder) basis as we see fit.

I would love your thoughts on this.
    Regards,
    Gareth
    Mr GL Morris
    Vice Principal
    Clayton Hall Academy

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. I would like to receive notifications when files are uploaded.

As of right now, I receive no notifications when a file is uploaded. I searched notification settings and do not see this as an option. Please allow this option as it is a necessity for those of us who work remotely and need to share files.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Leaving Files

When leaving an open file, either by hitting the close or back button, return to the previous place in the file hierarchy rather than to the root folder.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option to stay in Files tab when selecting another channel

When browsing through the files tab of a channel, you sometimes realise you need to look through other channels to find the files you are looking for. It would be good to be able to browse around the files tab of several channels without having it revert back to the conversations tab each time.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Files Shared with you on One Drive

Before we found out about Microsoft Teams, my teammate shared a One Drive folder with all the members of our team so that we can share and store our deliverables in a centralized storage.

After we found out about Microsoft Team, we wanted to still be able to access the shared One Drive within Microsoft Team so that we will not need to work with 2 separate platforms to store our deliverables.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. make the class materials folder accessible through teams on ANDROID

I know this is available on IOS but it isn't currently on android

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Link Tabs across multiple teams

Link tabs across different Teams. For example, if I have a Precalculus Per 1, Precalculus Per 2 and Precalculus Per 3, I want to add a "Chapter 7" tab to all 3 with the same contents. Provide an option to add the tab to another team as well. After adding it as a shared tab, all files uploaded there will run across all teams.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Inserting files into the Teams OneNote from the Teams Files area.

To be able to insert files directly from the Teams 'Files' area within the Teams 'OneNote'. Presently this can only be done by downloading and then uploading.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow an existing Sharepoint to mapped to the team file tabe

Our organization works on SharePoint. We like the look of Teams but need files to work directly with SharePoint. While Teams is intended for a wide audience that may not have SharePoint Licenses, i.e. Students in a class, it would be nice to allow Teams creators to link the Files tab to an existing SharePoint or at the very least be able to delete/hide the files tab.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Let .pdf presentations to be shared in Teams (currently Powerpoint only is supported)!

Hi,

I use .pdf slides (written in LaTeX, lots of equations, tables etc.) in my classrooms, yet I cannot share them because only Powerpoint is supported, so far. It would be great to make .pdf presentations shareable in Teams.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make mobile users able to upload files to teams

Users being able to upload files from mobile

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base