Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Defualt permission setting for files

At the moment all files uploaded onto Team are set to "can edit". It would save teachers considerable time if the default setting was "can view". Many documents we share with students have task instructions, notes and/or write on templates that we want students to upload and work on individually or in groups. If you forget to change the settings in Share Point (in manage access) you can have one student altering everyone's document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In files section of teams please add file size column

In files section of teams please add file size column

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Microsoft OneDrive as an option for cloud storage, rather than just Google Drive and Sharepoint

Add Microsoft OneDrive as an option for cloud storage, rather than just Google Drive and Sharepoint

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Edit more than one team all at once

I'd LOVE a way to edit all my classroom teams at the same time: add a channel to 6 teams at once, or even upload files to the same folder in all six different classroom teams without having to copy a bunch of times.

It would also be nice to post a message to all my teams at once.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow for keyboard arrow clicking in files

When we upload files in teams, we have to click on each one individually. We cannot move between them like in OneDrive using the arrow keys. This is especially important when we are using Teams to upload photos onto. Clicking each file individually is a pain.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Permission Levels - Restricted View

I'm using MO Education A3 package. Is there any way to prevent class materials from being downloaded for visitor? (Turn on Restricted View - visitor can view pages on the browser, but cannot download)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Have files pop up in a new tab when you click them. As of now, if I want to go back to the list of files, I find I have to click on "Team"

Have files pop up in a new tab when you click them. As of now, if I want to go back to the list of files, I find I have to click on "Team"

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Mult. docs open at one time

I REALLY need to be able to have more than one document open at a time. We need tabs for open documents. It takes too long to close/reopen.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. It would be very useful to be able to copy a hyperlink straight into a Teams sub-folder please

It would be very useful to be able to copy a hyperlink straight into a Teams sub-folder pleas. This would enable my students to have direct access to a required page within the lesson folder rather than a generic link tab

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Existing OneDrive Document Versus Make a Copy

I would love to see the ability to add an existing one drive document in the area of FILES in Teams that I want others to collaborate on. I don't want to have to make a copy. If I upload a copy then I have an old file back in my personal OneDrive. If I share the link to this file in the chat it will get lost. Adding a view only option would be beneficial as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Favourites

It would be great to be able to favourite specific files and have the links visible on startup. We use unit plans that are in various department files and can take time to dive in to find them all.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. you should be able to move an entire folder, not just individual documents

you can only move individual documents/files between different folders and not whole folders which creates a lot of extra work when migrating documents over, duplicating for groups etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. be able to add a task from chat text or a shared file via a team so you can track the need to do some activity within planner, to do etc.

I am often asked to review a document which is shared via a team, but am unable to easily from within Teams create a task to do that so I can track via planner or To Do. Ideally it would be good in a "chat" to mark text or the shared file and create a task which can then be tracked.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Listing files by numerical order is cumbersome. Item 10 is placed after 1 instead of 9.

Number 10 should be coded in such a way that an item is automatically arranged by numerical order. Right now, a 10 is placed after 1 instead of 9

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Possibility to desactivad (turn off) somes options (chat- conversation- file, ect)

When creating a team, it would be interesting to enable / disable some modules that will not be useful at the moment. example: chat, conversation, files, etc ...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable tabs or windows in Teams so that you can open more than a single file at the same time

Microsoft Teams is far too limited to single-use - you can't have more than one file from Teams open at the same time. Of course, you can open Teams in a or several tabs in your browser, but hat is just a work-around. Also, you sometimes need to be able to look at files or information in one Team and work in another Team. That isn't possible today, wiothout any workarounds.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add option to "start conversation" in the "more options" file menu

From the "Files" tab, it would be great to be able to start a conversation about a file without actually having to open it. Could this be added to the "More options" menu? I often need to talk to colleagues about a document, but don’t need to open it myself. Getting a link and pasting to the conversations tab is usually not a satisfactory experience, and opening the document and starting a conversation is an extra and unnecessary step. It seems that there should be a shorter and more effective way of doing this.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow for notifications when adding file for the members of a Team

My students and I would like to be notified when a file is dropped in the tab without having to have a message that tells them so.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. New tab should take name of file as default title

When adding a new tab of a file type, e.g. Word, the tab gets the default title of the file type, in this case Word. One now has the option to rename this. Often a person forgets and only afterwards realize you should rename the tab. This is easily done, but the message in the conversation space still shows the old name which is not ideal. The tab should rather take the file name as the default title. This can be overwritten when necessary.

Alternatively, when the file tab is renamed, so should the message in the conversation space be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Search should include folder names

The search function is otherwise great, but it does not include folder names, like a search in file explorer. Surely that must be a mistake?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base