Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to add OneDrive to a Team / Create a shared OneDrive, or OneDrive for Buisiness

SharePoint has very limited functionality to copy, files and folders, and OneDrive does a better job of managing file and folders.

I propose the ability to create a shared OneDrive, or be able to link to a OneDrive in a team, and give the team permissions to change, edit, and add to the desired folder.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. create links in Teams Files

It is not possible to create a saved Web Link in the Teams view of files but it is possible to create a web Link in the Sharepoint view of Teams Files. When the link is clicked on in Sharepoint, the link works. In the Teams view a link just tries to download a file.

Could web Links be made to work the same in the Teams view of Files as in the Sharepoint view of the same files.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Link to OneDrive Folder

Please allow to add OneDrive specific folder to the "File" tab. Since some common teaching materials store in OneDrive / SharePoint document library appear in different teams.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Moving files within a Channel to a Folder or other breaks the Conversation link post

When you move a file that you have announced through a Conversation post, the link breaks on the conversation page. Given I make announcements to my Team when I've posted something in my channel. This breakage has created confusion when the team are trying to open the file it says it doesn't exist.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Chatbox as a flexibele "box" while working on a file together

When you work in realtime in a documents, somethimes its nice to chat with eachother at the same time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make files unvisible

It would be great that we can make files or folders unvisible for the students. In this way we can prepare our environment without that students see files they may not see yet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. replace files a la SharePoint

In MS Teams you cannot replace a folder, only a file.
    Why not move like in SharePoint. Hold, drag and place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support editing of .txt files

As .txt is the simplest text file possible, it would be nice to be able to edit files of this type in Teams/Sharepoint.
    I realize it's "Microsoft" Teams, but I don't want to have to put simple files containing setup information in a .docx

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Open Dyslexic Font in Tabbed Files

When tabbing a PowerPoint or similar document, it would be helpful if they could display the Open Dyslexic font, a free font that some students find easier to read.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Tumbnail's of image files visible in Teams file section.

I use the file section to upload a variety of images for Art and Design students and would like to be able to see a thumbnail of the image without having to open or download it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Icon preview

a) there should be a way to order files via thumbnail or list
    b) there should be the native ability (i.e. WITHIN the app) to preview files e.g. JPG (not only word et al and PDF files) without having to download the file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add document template on new file

I would like to add custom Microsoft Word template on the "New" dropdown list.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Sync with Teams Files to Local Machine

There is a button in SharePoint that will sync a SharePoint folder with a local computer folder using the OneDrive Sync Client. To do this, I have to open Teams > Channel > Files tab > Open with SharePoint > Sign in > Sync > Choose subfolders to sync. Can that button in SharePoint simply be put into Teams?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. upload files into buckets from the desktop app

In a bucket click on add new task then under add attachment the only option is to do link or SharePoint. No option to get the file from some place on the computer. It is not available on Mac or Win.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Deleting obsolete files

To be able to delete obsolete files from the 'Files' Tab. I have removed these files from Office 365 but they still show in Teams and it clutters the space. It would be nice to be able to delete them off of the list in Teams.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. i cannot download .zip files from Teams app

when students upload zip files to dropboxes, I cannot open the files (specifically .java files) from the zip. I have to go to a browser (chrome) to download then open. Very annoying.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Editing Channel name doesn't update "File" name

I noticed a typo in my channel name and renamed it to be correct. After, I noticed that my "File" (associated to the built in tab) did not update to reflect the new channel name.

Ok- so I opened the file in SharePoint. When I then edited the "File" name in SharePoint to match, it still did not update the file in Teams so now there are 2 files that I can't figure out how to merge.

Silly me thought that if I just deleted the channel and SharePoint folders (since it was still fairly new and being built) I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make the Files Tab Files and Chat Files Tab Files consistent with each other

When editing a common file between our team, we confused the files in the "File tab" and the "Chat File Tab" as being the same files. This caused some miscommunication between teammates and lead to a paper not fully integrated with each team member's ideas. I would really appreciate personally if Microsoft could make the files consistent among both tabs. Thank you!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. File navigation

Global back button takes you back to the former tab. Should take you back to the super or subfolder you were just in.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Separate tab or section for file viewing/editing

create a section for document/file viewing - so if I switch to a chat - I can come back from where I was. Currently when you view a file in a team channel - you lose the ability to see it again if you switch to chat. If you open a file to view or edit it - can you open a new section under "Activity, Chat,Teams...."? Thanks!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base