Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. search shared files in teams chat

see all files & links that were sent in a team's chat

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable tabs or windows in Teams so that you can open more than a single file at the same time

Microsoft Teams is far too limited to single-use - you can't have more than one file from Teams open at the same time. Of course, you can open Teams in a or several tabs in your browser, but hat is just a work-around. Also, you sometimes need to be able to look at files or information in one Team and work in another Team. That isn't possible today, wiothout any workarounds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Move to button in Files tab

There should be possible to move files/folders from one team/channel to another team/channel with a Move to button like in SharePoint. Maybe add also similar buttons and context menu items like in SharePoint on Files tab because it's limited.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add option to "start conversation" in the "more options" file menu

From the "Files" tab, it would be great to be able to start a conversation about a file without actually having to open it. Could this be added to the "More options" menu? I often need to talk to colleagues about a document, but don’t need to open it myself. Getting a link and pasting to the conversations tab is usually not a satisfactory experience, and opening the document and starting a conversation is an extra and unnecessary step. It seems that there should be a shorter and more effective way of doing this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow for notifications when adding file for the members of a Team

My students and I would like to be notified when a file is dropped in the tab without having to have a message that tells them so.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Online files

When I work in online files (i.e. word/excel, etc), some of the formatting that shows up in the regular desktop version DOES NOT show in the online version. The only way to view the full formatting is to click edit in word. I have gotten feedback that this is frustrating. Will all the formatting ever show up in just the online version without having to click edit in word?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. New tab should take name of file as default title

When adding a new tab of a file type, e.g. Word, the tab gets the default title of the file type, in this case Word. One now has the option to rename this. Often a person forgets and only afterwards realize you should rename the tab. This is easily done, but the message in the conversation space still shows the old name which is not ideal. The tab should rather take the file name as the default title. This can be overwritten when necessary.

Alternatively, when the file tab is renamed, so should the message in the conversation space be…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add copy paste function for folders

Please add function to copy and paste an entire folder from 'files'. Will help when setting up initial infrastructure.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When a file print out is added automatically set to background

When adding a document in the collaboration space in Onenote via channels the document should automatically be set to background or that option should be added. You can set it in the app version in advanced settings, but it is not defaulted. It is much easier for students to edit a document in the web versions in the document printout is not moving. Also the teacher my not have access to set to background. Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I would like to receive notifications when files are uploaded.

As of right now, I receive no notifications when a file is uploaded. I searched notification settings and do not see this as an option. Please allow this option as it is a necessity for those of us who work remotely and need to share files.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Keep file links even when it is moved into a different folder

Currently, files posted in conversation appear in the File tab. But any attempt at organising the files into folders will disable the link. This is very inconvenient. As long as the file remains in the channel, it should still be active.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Search should include folder names

The search function is otherwise great, but it does not include folder names, like a search in file explorer. Surely that must be a mistake?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option to change Teams Files tab SharePoint directory location

When a Team is provisioned it creates yet another SharePoint site. But I would prefer the default Files (tab) be linked to our existing SharePoint enterprise site Document Libraries to store and manage Channel folders and chats from all of my Teams.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Refresh Button/Option in Files

In Teams there isn't an option to refresh the directory you are in - you have to go up a folder and then back into the directory to see updated/added files. Can a refresh button be added (similar to in a Windows file path refresh)?

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. remove download button for team files and sharepoint libraries

With the Information Rights Managment, I can protect documents, but users can still download folders and files. The modify in sharepoint designer doesn't work, so I can't do custom code to delete download button.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Move/Place folders inside of other folders

Is there a way move/place folders inside of other folders? If not, I would like to see this option added. I find it would help with keeping my Team organized as we share/collaborate on files.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. seperate file areas for classes

when creating a new class team, withing the files section there should be a folder that the student has access to along with the teacher but no one else, similar to the onen note sections, as currently we have teachers creating a team for the notebook and then manually creating a folder structure and sharing folders for their personal onedrive

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. export member list to excel

In large teams would be great having the option to export user list to excel o csv file.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files & Class Materials  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. drag and drop files from teams into email

Hi There,
    We use teams in my office as a file storage center. I know there is a sharepoint or one drive site behind it, however, it is hard that you cannot have a file in teams and then drag and drop into an email. Would love to have this ability.

Thanks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow preview of submitted work of a Publisher File

Generate a preview of the submitted files from a Publisher document.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base