Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. LaTeX math input

Allow LaTeX math input into the Teams interface for Education customers.

Currently Edmodo allows some simple LaTeX code (as complex as those that amsmath package recognises!)

238 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

30 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Read receipt in conversation - see who has read a post in a channel

Now I post a message in a thread/conversation, but I have no idea how many has read it.

138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Popout Chat

Skype for Business 2016 had the ability for separate chats to be in separate windows. It would be cool if this was possible for chats within teams.

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Notification Enhancements

We have moved back to using Skype as the notification for Chat is not customizable. Staff that use Team for chatting, miss incoming messages, compared to Skype. I want to push the use of Team, but this factor renders the app useless.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

This feature is being worked upon and I hope to have more details to share in the coming months.

-Warren

5. Turn Off Private Chat Option

It would be nice to have an option to turn off the private chat. Students are constantly distracted by the temptation and spend a large portion chatting rather than doing their assignments.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Mute all default in Classroom Teams

Once Teams is synced with the student information system the class Teams should default to Mute all and give the teacher the ability to unmute once digital citizenship is taught. This is a great what to teach students how to behave digitally.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Merging conversations in Teams

As a Team Owner, I would like to be able to merge conversations. I see too many people start a new conversation when they should be replying to an existing one. Over time, they end up becoming fragmented.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Reply to a reply...

To keep better context in the conversation, we need to be able to reply to a reply - and have that appear directly under the initial reply (at least one level). Example: Facebook does this.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Reply to messages under the Chat Tab

I want to be able to reply to messages just like in the teams chats under the General Chat Tab.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The ability for the teacher to share a conversation across multiple teams

Having to copy and paste the same conversation in multiple classes(teams) can be redundant. Especially if I have an announcement for an event I want all my students to know about.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. allow the owner to delete messages

giving the team owner full delete/edit privilege will allow for the team to focus on the correct topic and allow for misplaced messages to be deleted by the team owner, also when deleting a message remove the visual display of "This message was deleted to allow the channel to flow better

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Delete past Team chats in chat mode (both sender and receiver chats).

Chats should not be never-ending storage of a chat, and we should be able to delete individual chats as instructors or keep them ( both the sender and receiver chat). I realize we can delete our own, but we need the option to delete both our own as well as the students. We should have that option.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Draft posts

I would like to be able to draft items in teams that I can either manually post at a later time or schedule to post at a later time. I am a teacher and would like to be able to set items (such as a conversation post) ahead of time but then post when my students are ready for that specific information

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. When starting a new chat, it should be possible to select groups of students and teachers.

Now we must choose students one and one. We have many groups of students in Office365 that should be available in the chat function. When we add new members to a Team we can use these groups.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Blinking Notification on Teams Taskbar

When receiving a IM message within Teams, it would be nice for one of the settings to be a blinking notification in the task bar after the original message pops on the screen. Similar to Skype for Business, it would draw my attention to the fact that I have a pending message. It would be nice for that to be a feature under each notification section so someone could turn that on and be alerted with a blinking update notification.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pin post to the top of conversation space

Need to ability to pin posts to the top of conversation space and reorder

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Notifications

Rather than having notifications control for "Mentions," "Messages," and "Other," we need to have control of notifications from each Team we may be on and for each channel. I am part of 10 different Teams, but only 3 of them are vital to my day-to-day work. It would be wonderful if I could control how I receive notifications for those and see them based not only on Favorites and current Settings but if I could customize for each team and collaboration.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Flag a message and add to ToDo App

Similar to email, it would be nice if you could flag a message as a task to be added to the ToDo app.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to export conversation

It would be really nice if you could export the conversation transcript for audit purposes.

Alternatively the ability to print the transcripts into a PDF or Word document would really help. At present it's impossible to pull an extract of the conversation window, particularly useful when recording group project conversations.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I want to try to provide clarity on the current functionality because we find that sometimes people are unaware of the settings available to tenant & team admins. There are three different types of edit/delete settings, all of which are switched on/off at the tenant or team level.
    1) Allow users to edit their own messages
    2) Allow users to delete their own messages
    3) Allow owners to delete all messages

Tenant level settings:
    Tenant admins can update capabilities from the “Messaging” section in the Admin center.
    By default, allow users to edit/delete their own messages is ON at the tenant level (and therefore the team level).
    By default, allow owners to delete all messages is OFF by default in all tenants, except in EDU where it is ON by default.

Team level settings:
    If edit and delete settings are enabled by the Tenant admin, team owners can also control…

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base