Schools and Universities

Thanks for visiting the Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education suggestion box site! We regularly review your ideas and incorporate them into product planning. To make your voice heard, be sure to vote on existing ideas and/or submit a new idea. While we can’t guarantee any specific features or timelines, we promise to read and consider all suggestions. We may also merge and rename suggestions for clarity.

We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

Thanks for supporting Microsoft Teams in Office 365 for Education. We’re listening and we really appreciate your feedback.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to delete conversations

We need to have the ability to delete posts in the conversations tab! Even as a teacher, occasionally I want to delete something.

126 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    we have this!  ·  Warren responded

You are able to delete your own messages within a chat or channel. Click the ellipses on your message and you can then use the drop down menu selection of Delete to remove your own message.

You cannot delete old chat threads, but you can hide them by clicking the ellipses and choosing Hide.

2. LaTeX math input

Allow LaTeX math input into the Teams interface for Education customers.

Currently Edmodo allows some simple LaTeX code (as complex as those that amsmath package recognises!)

121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Popout Chat

Skype for Business 2016 had the ability for separate chats to be in separate windows. It would be cool if this was possible for chats within teams.

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Read receipt in conversation - see who has read a post

Now I post a message in a thread/conversation, but I have no idea how many has read it.

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Notification Enhancements

We have moved back to using Skype as the notification for Chat is not customizable. Staff that use Team for chatting, miss incoming messages, compared to Skype. I want to push the use of Team, but this factor renders the app useless.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

This feature is being worked upon and I hope to have more details to share in the coming months.

-Warren

6. Turn Off Private Chat Option

It would be nice to have an option to turn off the private chat. Students are constantly distracted by the temptation and spend a large portion chatting rather than doing their assignments.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Reply to messages under the Chat Tab

I want to be able to reply to messages just like in the teams chats under the General Chat Tab.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. allow the owner to delete messages

giving the team owner full delete/edit privilege will allow for the team to focus on the correct topic and allow for misplaced messages to be deleted by the team owner, also when deleting a message remove the visual display of "This message was deleted to allow the channel to flow better

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Blinking Notification on Teams Taskbar

When receiving a IM message within Teams, it would be nice for one of the settings to be a blinking notification in the task bar after the original message pops on the screen. Similar to Skype for Business, it would draw my attention to the fact that I have a pending message. It would be nice for that to be a feature under each notification section so someone could turn that on and be alerted with a blinking update notification.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Notifications

Rather than having notifications control for "Mentions," "Messages," and "Other," we need to have control of notifications from each Team we may be on and for each channel. I am part of 10 different Teams, but only 3 of them are vital to my day-to-day work. It would be wonderful if I could control how I receive notifications for those and see them based not only on Favorites and current Settings but if I could customize for each team and collaboration.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Flag a message and add to ToDo App

Similar to email, it would be nice if you could flag a message as a task to be added to the ToDo app.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I want to try to provide clarity on the current functionality because we find that sometimes people are unaware of the settings available to tenant & team admins. There are three different types of edit/delete settings, all of which are switched on/off at the tenant or team level.
    1) Allow users to edit their own messages
    2) Allow users to delete their own messages
    3) Allow owners to delete all messages

Tenant level settings:
    Tenant admins can update capabilities from the “Messaging” section in the Admin center.
    By default, allow users to edit/delete their own messages is ON at the tenant level (and therefore the team level).
    By default, allow owners to delete all messages is OFF by default in all tenants, except in EDU where it is ON by default.

Team level settings:
    If edit and delete settings are enabled by the Tenant admin, team owners can also control…

13. move threads

As owner move a thread that doesn't belong in the current channel to another. As owner I only have the ability to delete a message that another user submits. I understand maybe this could be abused but as a Team owner I can clean up and monitor the channels for accurate messages/threads.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Notification banner privacy option.

It should be possible to hide the content of incoming notifications. In school the teacher laptops are often connected to Interactive Whiteboards which the class pupils are looking at.

When a notification comes in it will show the content of the message which is obviously not good when this is easily visible by the entire class and could contain private information.

The Teams desktop app really needs the option to hide the message content and instead just show the banner with only the name of the sender displayed.

Thank you.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Admin/Owner ability to delete messages in a channel.

As a team administrator it is vital that the assigned owners of teams channels have the ability to delete any message in a team channel. This is a feature that will cause my entire company to stop using Teams if not addressed.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. View all unread messages for a team

If I have unread messages across several channels on one team, I would like an "All Unread" option (similar to Slack) where it shows all the unread messages divided by channel. It's a good way to catch up on everything in the morning without a lot of clicking around.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. reply with a quote

in WhatsApp - people are able to reply to specific messages on the thread - this is most helpful for context and even more important in group chats as several threads of thought could be in the chat... thanks!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Poll

It should be possible to create polls in a specific channel to take quick decisions.

Just add an option at the same place you can find emojis or GIFs when you write a new message in a channel. Something like the polls on Facebook.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add option for pinning important messages

It is very time consuming to scroll back to some older important messages, therefore it would be very good to have an option to pin them either on top of the screen or on the side for quick access.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I would like to be able to see which students read my messages in my groups' general team

When I post a new message or announcement in a team, especially the ones with students, I would like to see who read the message so they cannot say they've read it but actually didn't. :)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base