Schools and Universities

This site is undergoing some branding revisions, momentary outages may be encountered. 

Hi there, you have reached a site that enables you to post feedback about Microsoft Teams for Schools & Universities. The feedback you post here is public and controlled by UserVoice and subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. It would be great if students could private message teachers, but NOT each other.

It would be great if students could private message teachers, but NOT each other.

3,526 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

423 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! Chat can be a powerful tool in educational settings, but we understand that in some environments chat can also come with student safety challenges. To assist schools where educator supervision in chats is desired, we have begun the roll out of our new Supervised Chat feature.

Supervised chat allows designated educators to initiate chats with students and blocks students from starting new chats unless an appropriate educator is present. When chat supervision is enabled, supervisors aren’t allowed to leave chats and other participants aren’t allowed to remove them, ensuring that chats involving students are properly supervised.

We are doing a gradual roll out of this feature so it may take a few weeks to get to your environment. We expect to be fully rolled out by the end of May 2021.

To learn more, please visit https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/supervise-chats-edu (admins) or https://support.microsoft.com/topic/supervised-chats-in-microsoft-teams-for-education-ad3aaafc-c85a-416f-95f9-d691f419cbb8 (end-users).

It’s important to note…

2. notify me (the teacher) when a student turns in an assignment

As a teacher of 7 different classes, I have to go into each assignment individually to see when students turn in assignments. This is very time-consuming! Please allow me to set up a notification when a student turns in an assignment.

2,938 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

194 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Justin Chando responded

Thanks for all of the feedback on this one. We are reviewing how we can improve notifications around Assignments in Teams. Please keep the feedback coming!

3. User Pronouns

Many of my classmates either have androgynous names or use pronouns that others might not assume (they/them). For non-binary and transgender classmates, it's hard to know how to refer to them. In many cases, pronouns aren't on teachers or students minds', so students accidentally get misgendered. Having pronouns next to names (maybe optional) would be an easy quick-hand way of communicating the best way to refer to your peers.

2,886 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

372 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to schedule meetings in private channels

private channels need to be able to schedule meetings.

2,594 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

226 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make this a camera option for insecure middle schoolers!!! (Video access to teachers only)

I teach in a middle school, and we are using Microsoft Teams for virtual learning synchronous instruction. It is going very well except for one thing. None (or very few) of the middle school students want to turn on their camera. We beg, plead, cajole, but nothing helps. They turn it on when I meet with them privately or in small groups, just not in class. So, this is my suggestion: You make it possible to allow the students to see the teacher and the teacher to see the students, but the STUDENTS CANNOT SEE EACH OTHER. If teachers have…

1,994 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

230 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Dashboard rather than Conversation as the home page of each Team

Rather than see a conversation as the starting point of each Team, I'd like to see a dashboard. That is, recent conversation activity, Assessments due, calendar events, recent files, homework reminders etc ...

1,770 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you all for your continued feedback on this feature! We are still evaluating options, so for now the ‘Posts’ tab remains the default first tab for every team.

Great suggestions so far in the comments, but please do continue to share how you would use this feature so we can better understand the use case for our planning.

7. Need to be able to schedule announcements ahead of time!

Would like to schedule morning announcements for the whole week!

1,765 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

169 comments  ·  Teams & Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Returned assignments should show up as "Graded" or as "Needs Revised."

When I return an assignment to a student for any reason, it just says "Returned." There should be an easy way for the student to see if the assignment has been "Graded" or if it "Needs Revised" so that the student knows there is more they need to do.

1,761 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

196 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Turn in assignments on behalf of in Teams for EDU.

Teachers need a way to turn in an assignment on behalf of students who for some reason aren't able to turn it in themselves, or at least change the status to delivered.

1,570 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for all of the feedback around this feature! We are reviewing what the best path forward is for this.

Just so everyone knows in the meantime, teachers can absolutely review any student attached or distributed work in Assignments even if students have not clicked the ‘Turn in’ button. Some of the comments also mention that the work might not be done digitally and submitted a different way, students can also Turn in the assignment without attaching any files/resources or can use the Teams mobile app to take a photo of their paper-based work to submit digitally.

Finally, when you return the assignment as a teacher (even without the student turning in) the feedback loop is also closed. Hope this helps.

10. Track student attendance within Teams

Everything is so cool, I love it, but could be possible to add a tab to keep track of the students attendance?

1,517 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

73 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve teacher feedback on assignments: zoom, rotate, write on image/pdf, upload file...

It would be very useful, for a teacher, to have the following features when working with assignments - in addition to the already present "feedback" option:

1. zoom and rotate also images, not only .pdf;

2. write or draw (make annotations) on images and .pdf files;

3. upload a file (image, pdf, office doc,...) together with the feedback - for instance, I could write something in the feedback and then upload a file with the complete solution of a given excercise.

These features could save a teacher a lot of time and, at the same time, make the feedbacks much more effective for…

1,368 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

80 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to record meetings in private channels

Holding meetings in private channels is really useful (students don't need to know when instructional staff is meeting), but I want the ability to record them like I can in a general channel. Recording 1-1 meetings would also be helpful to international students who could then review them.

1,360 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

72 comments  ·  Meetings, Calling & Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. LaTeX math input

Allow LaTeX math input into the Teams interface for Education customers.

Currently Edmodo allows some simple LaTeX code (as complex as those that amsmath package recognises!)

1,297 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

107 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion for all STEM classes! I’ve moved this feature to ‘under review’.

14. Group Assignments

Sometimes I like to have my students turn in their assignment as a group, so I only read and grade one paper from a group of 3 or 4 students. It would be great if Teams Assignments could support that. So that either the students or the teacher (or best them both) can choose who this assignment is for/from.

Hope it makes sense?

1,278 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  61 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Teams Junior - Microsoft Teams is amazing but it is complicated for younger children to use a simplified version

Teams Junior - Microsoft Teams for EYFS/KS1 would be amazing! with a more user friendly interface for our youngest learners.

1,261 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

96 comments  ·  UX & Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. make the default setting for video calls "Fit to Frame"

When video calls are made to multiple people, the camera tries to pan and find each person in the room instead of being fixed. I would like to be able to set the cameras as "fit to frame" instead of having to click each user and do that.

1,249 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

148 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Inking in Assignments

Comments alongside an assignment are often inadequate and direct annotation on the document with inking would be preferable. At present it is only possible to ink on an assignment if clicking through several buttons and completing dual authentication to download file to desktop. Inking should be present on screen instantly within Teams with no need to select edit or download to desktop to edit. Inking is available in OneNote it should be available in all online apps!

1,190 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Audio Feedback in Assignments

Ability to both dictate and give feedback via an audio file in MS Teams on assignments.

1,071 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

182 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Group calendar visible in Teams with Calendar Tab in Teams

I see that a group calendar shows up in Outlook online when a group is created in Teams. Could this calendar be accessible directly from Teams?

863 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Gordon Chang responded

The team is making progress on showing Office 365 group calendars in Teams. We will share more details as we have them.

Meanwhile, feel free to share what types of meetings do you create in the group calendars for classes and staff?

Gordon Chang from Teams

20. I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I

I would love for the assignment tab to show up in each channel created. I create a new channel to match each unit of study. I use each channel as a module.

858 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

99 comments  ·  Assignments & Grades  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for the additional feedback on this feature request! We’ve read all your comments and are currently investigating what we can do to help.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 847 848
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base