How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

screenshare without audio

In Skype for Business it's possible to share your screen without using the audio feature. This is important for us, because we use a different conf bridge. Using Skype/Teams audio in that scenario just gets in the way (echo, unwanted audio through PC, etc).

Bottom line, it would be nice to be able to share your screen in Teams without using the voice/audio feature.

619 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Frank shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

I have confirmed with the feature team that this is, in fact, functioning as you expect today – you can share your entire desktop or a specific window directly from a private chat session, without starting audio or video. The mute microphone button is enabled so you are able to easily add audio by “unmuting”, but we realize this is causing confusion. We are working on further experience improvements.

Please feel free to respond to teamsml@microsoft.com if you are still seeing issues.

Thanks,
Alex

70 comments

Comments are closed
  • Travis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft knew **** well what was being requested. I am 100% certain that not a single person who voted on that issue wanted video support without audio. If so, they could simply initiate the video chat, then mute the audio!

Does Microsoft want Teams to be a successful replacement for Skype for Business (rebranded Lync) or not?

We're dying to get away from that decade old program, but cannot, as Teams refuses to incorporate even the basic functionality it provides. My 800 person company is currently considering moving to Slack (which would be our only non-Microsoft product) as a result of "Lync's" stagnation. As Microsoft is a company attempting to rebrand themselves, this is a ridiculous move.

• Keith Corkum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sad that MS can't figure this out. Obviously the development team does not use the product, or at least the screen sharing feature.

• Andrew Edney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correction to previous post (now deleted) - this is an epic fail. The screen share works fine but it also does an audio call which is MUTED by default. However, you can't then hang up on the audio call and just do a screen share - so there is no real change in functionality to the prior ability to call and screen share other than the default muting. However, like most people, I want to be able to screen share WITHOUT calling. For example, I might be on a Skype call with a client and asking for some help with something which requires a screen share with a college...

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The original request had one small syntax error...should have said Video/Call. Either way, 5000 people up voted it all knowing exactly what it meant so this should be a none issue. However, this is implemented rather strangely, because it does share a screen with no audio...Basically, it sounds like its calling someone, but its just asking them to confirm the screen share while the mic and audio are indeed off!

So I think there's some confusion and/or people are finding some bug that doesn't exist for the majority of users because it does appear to be working as we all thought it would.

Oh and LOL at some of these comments! There's so much that was already prime time at launch that made Slack, SfB, etc obsolete on day 1. I feel bad if you think this one feature held back your migration from Skype, haha...goodness. I'm sure you have a ton of XP machines that need to be upgraded as well.

• Ryan F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering this feature EXISTED in Skype for Business and the Teams team already considers themselves "feature for feature". I am a confused why we need to even have a UserVoice created for a missed feature in the first place.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So much of Teams is just not ready for prime time. This is another fine example of a step backwards from standard functionality. How can I drive adoption of Teams when users *LOSE* functionality and features? (Like Syndrome said: Lame, lame, lame, lame, LAME!)

• Tia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to have voice calls via the Teams app on my phone while receiving the screen share from the other participant in the chat window on the desktop. Decoupling the voice connection from the screen share might allow that. I tend to answer calls on my phone, then they pop something up on the screen but it won't show on the PC at that point.

• Nathan Berger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, this is currently possible (as the comment below states). Just go to chat with the person you want to share with, then press the "Share" button. It does not start an audio call by default, but you can enable audio. It uses the "call" function of teams, but doesn't require audio.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have the ability to do JUST a screen share from chat. The call and video buttons are separate. This is how I envisioned and wanted it to work...so I'm happy.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running Teams version 1.1.00.31860 (latest public version as of Dec 6 2018) and can jump in to a screenshare from a chat window without voice or video being added. I just click the share button, select the App or Screen I want to share, and that all there is to it. I am not enabled for PSTN Voice (Phone System license). Just simple P2P. Not sure if that is a factor or not.

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Microsoft, please just admit that you made a mistake and that you will start working on Screenshare without audio. When people provide comments and feedback on a feature for 2 years, to only have you only roll-out partial functionality and mark the idea as complete is quite disheartening to the community.

I'll tell you what, if you can give me this I won't even ask for anything else from you for Christmas :-) Thanks!

• Kevin Ruschman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny that your cohort Warren posted an update on January 16, 2018 with the following update:

Greetings,

The User Research group at Microsoft Teams would like to better understand the needs around sharing screen from chat (without audio or video).

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suspect the person who requested screenshare without a "video call" didn't imagine that "video" would be seen as a key part of the request. Removing the video aspect but still requiring an audio call was pretty silly. Moral of the story, be VERY, VERY explicit with what you ask for with Microsoft.

• Randy Burden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a software developer I get how the screenshare functionality may have been initially coupled with a video or audio session but as an end user this is a laughable and ridiculous situation where you have upset many of your users by not fulfilling the true intent of the original feature request here: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/16936774-enable-screen-sharing-without-video-call

Just want to put it out there that my firm has the ability to screenshare without video OR audio call on our Microsoft Teams tenant. We have a share tray button in the top right of chat, in addition to the video and audio call buttons, that allows us to choose a screen or app window to share. This functionality does not initiate a call of any kind.

I am not sure why Microsoft is dancing around rolling this out to everyone when the functionality clearly exists and my colleagues are able to use it (not well though, because the teams application in general is a pretty junky- see https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17219609-teams-uses-600mb-and-is-super-slow).

• Alain Sylvestre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The original request is to enable screensharing without a video call…." .That`s funny. Do have to explain too you that we want the same thing that Skype had. You play with word. Come on Microsoft, you better than that.

Teams is great but the ability to share my screen with a fellow team member without an audio (or video) call is greatly needed. I am on the phone constantly and occasionally just need to show someone what I am talking about. I'm already on the phone, I don't want to initiate a call in Teams before sharing my screen. This is a huge step backwards from the Skype functionality where I could share my screen immediately.

• Larry Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow for Screen Sharing without the requirement to have audio call included.
    Come on now. You, MS, are bundling a lot of applications to work on Teams. So allow more optional setting that we can use.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.