How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Federation

Hi everyone -- I'm splitting this feature out from the "Guest Access" feature request so that you can weigh in on this specific issue and provide feedback for it here. Please write in the comments what you would like to see with Federation and I will incorporate it into this description. -Suphatra

FEDERATION REQUESTS:

#1 -- When our team have a live call meeting we can not add people to the call that doesn't belong to the team, even if they are from the same company. Additionally can we brought client which will be federated.

#2 -- Need to be able to P2P chat/call/screen share with federated partners and other Office 365 tenants that are trusted by default. Need to be able to add all of these same people into meetings.

631 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joaquin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any plans to allow Federation like SharePoint Online or Skype for Business on-prem? Where I can partner/Federate with an entire company without doing it user by user?

• Akira Ueda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have three companies with different domains and all three are federated on o365. We can see each others calender but can not add anyone on Teams. How do we setup to see names on other tenants on federated domain?

• Adrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the federation feature already working to chat to another user from a different domain?

We need to collaborate/chat to other users of our company that has a different domain name and having a different O365 subscription (not under our tenant).

• David McKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need federation with government clients. They see us using Teams, and can't understand why we can't collaborate with it. It's on the roadmap for GCC -- the sooner the better! Thx.

• Angie Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely big for us. We tried to add those who are not sitting in our tenant (on-prem environment using QCS to share free/busy and GAL) as well as, a separate tenant (same company too) using QCS too to federate. This federation we have has not allowed us to add these users as guest, even though they are part of our company.

• Casper Frank-Stender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My primary usage for SfB is the open federation with various other companies. Teams can never be a replacement for SfB if it does not offer this functionality.

• Akira Ueda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subsidally compaies also use Teams but they always have to switch between tenants. It is a MUST to have Federation like other Office365 applications.

• Henry Pei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We shouldn't need to switch tenant back and forth - all teams should come under one roof!

• Christian Gustafson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally, it would be a great advantage to see all my teams and channels in a single view and not to "switch tenant" back and forth all day, but pulling the teams and chats from other tenants to my primary Teams view.

• Paul McConnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any tool that doesn't allow you to add team members that are not part of your organization is doomed.

This must be version 2.0. Maybe by 3.0 we'll have that necessary functionality.

• Mirela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can one have a call with a person who is or is not on a team? I can see how one can have a call from the team site, but not in Chat.

• Dave Girardin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need Federation to be able to limit what domains Guest can be invited from. Having this open to ANY guest is just crazy with no DLP in place at the same time. We want to be able to limit what domains can be allowed as guests.

We need DLP functionality once Federation is a "thing". Not being able to control the content send with Guests makes this something we had to disable.

• Aaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the federation portion to be seamless for meetings with the flexibility of SfB. Anyone needs to be able to be added.

• B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's unbelievable that Federation wasn't part of this. It's been a part of Lync/SFB since pretty much day one. Honestly, whoever designed this product should be looking for a new job. If you intend to replace S4B with Teams it must do 100% of what S4B does plus the new features. It'd be like Ford designing a new car and forgetting to include tires.

• Peter Braun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has been mentioned a few times already, but as there is no like button on comments, here again... it would be great, if at some stage, we could use Teams to interact with non-Office365 tenant users. Being able to share something, chat, screenshare, voice or video call with someone who gets invited via their MS/Skype, Google or Facebook account via web based Teams client would be great. On top, interacting with a Skype client user would take Teams to a whole new powerful level.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

currently if having a chat with federated user, this information is not showing on my own Teams window. it is challenging to have to go back and forth between tenants to view the threads/chats.

• Brad Friedlander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to add an external person (e.g., a customer) using their real (own domain) email address to specific channels within a Team. This type of guess has no visibility or permissions without explicitly adding them (as opposed to Team members who have the same access to all channels).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base