How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Sound is too low and other sound problems

VOLUME:

The sound is too low!! Most people don't think it's even on. Let us customize the sound level, please.

CUSTOMIZE SOUNDS:

Right now sounds are all or nothing. This is not good. For example, you may want to have sound for Calls but not for chat or messages. There is a difference when you need to hear that someone is calling you – versus getting the constant bing/bing/bing on message chat.
In addition – on commercial skype you could actually set sound notification channel or chat by channel or chat. Some things you want the bing – others it is just an irritant.

MOBILE SOUND

With all the different apps on the phone being able to customize the notification sound is important to ensure that my team can reply quickly.

RINGING

Please make calls have a ringing sound, so I know a call is coming through.

DIFFERENT SOUNDS

It would be nice to have different sounds for private chat and notifications, so that its easy to know what's coming in without having to look at it.

1,420 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Trevor Madge shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

279 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Darin Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with these comments. We just switched to Teams from Skype and I can not hear the notification from chats or calls. It tone is so subtle and quiet, I just can't hear it. I will miss all of my calls and messages unless my eyes are glued on the corner of the monitor on which the banner appears.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate this conversation! Manager – “Are you there?” … “Did you get my message?” … “Why are you not replying?” … “What is going on?” … “RINNNNG”. Me – “Sorry I was talking to someone else and missed the Teams notifications”. Please fix this soon! The sounds for new chat messages are to low relative to other sounds.

• Helena B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jut started u sing Teams today.........and have missed about half my chats cuz I can't HEAR the sound byte. All the users I have checked with at my company using Teams have the same complaint. We need options with the sounds....and the ability to change sounds, customize them.....turn them on or off...... the current sound options are ridiculous. Come on, Microsoft.....this has been a complaint regarding Teams for a very long time now. I miss Skype for Business.

• Mary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I hear a sound notification when someone sends me a chat? We just installed Teams and I do not hear anything when someone sends me a chat message.

• F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another time that is about an entire year that we have any feedback. My lord: a simple wav/ogg or something else to choose in a mobile device, not reinvent the rocket to the moon!

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to change the alert sounds for desktop and mobile is crucial. I work in healthcare and the biggest complaint I get is that the sounds are too quiet. I have made a powerapp that is connected to microsoft teams. The powerapp is used to show an overview of the department and to send alerts depending on patient status. When there are status changes for a patient, depending on the status selected, it alerts either the physician or the support staff. Notifications to the individual physician to their mobile device is of the utmost importance. If they miss notifications patient care is affected.

See attachment for powerapp dashboard.

Please Please Please NOW NOW NOW

We switched from Slack to Teams, and but now we regret it just for this reason alone it seems. No one is happy, as we all have to open and close all day long of miss them all together because we can't hear them.
    Please fix!

• Alan Whitten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My goodness!! This is taking a long time to review. I don't see a .WAV file anywhere with that sound in \windows that I could potentially hijack. Registry? Maybe? People are getting twitchy (action, not a chat program)

• SQuilliams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have poor hearing and don't hear certain tones at all if there is any background noise. I have missed several chat alerts because the sound is so quiet.
    I was under the impression we could continue to use Skype for Business until July but last week it was taken away. Please give us the option of changing the sound like we had for Skype.
    It's unfair that I am missing important work chats, meetings and calls simply because I'm hard of hearing.

• Jason Trumpio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it possible after over a year there still is no way to change the sound Teams makes on iOS?

In a day and age where busy people are pummeled by notifications it's insane Microsoft doesn't take this issue seriously.

It's as if the people in charge of Teams don't actually use it.

• Jose Enrique Lopez-Esteves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is Jose Lopez-Esteves, UM Senior Locksmith :

At University of Miami (UM), Coral Gables Campus, FL . . . We use Teams for Staff communication constantly . . . But at the Field or Exterior areas . . . We Need a Custom High Sound for TEAMS APP - Notification Alerts . . . The regular Sound are good for inside the Building or Office Areas. . .

Any suggestion . . . Please send to : JEL175@Miami.edu

Thanks for any help suggestion

BEST REGARDS

• Molly Barley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to CUSTOMIZE SOUNDS - or independently disable them - for different FUNCTIONS please. For most messages, I don't want to hear a sound at all. I don't want my work interrupted so frequently. But I do want sound for messages sent to me from those I have flagged as critical stakeholders.
    I also want a sound to notify me of an invitation for private chat, but I want to be able to choose a different type of sound - and even different volume level - for private chat than for other types of messages.
    Please PLEASE provide a variety of sounds to choose from, and allow me to set volumes on different functions. When I'm in a noisy environment, multi-tasking while I wait for a client to respond to a proposal, I want the notification to be loud enough and different enough that it rises above the ambient noise. However, when I'm a quiet office concentrating on a particular task, I don't want to be startled by shrill noises every 30 seconds, alerting me that someone responded to a thread I started.

So this has been "under review" for more than a year. It's a significant issue for a LOT of people. Is there any intention of doing anything about it vs. it permanently being "under review"?

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please,

There is no way to make the Teams notifications different on my andriod. All notifications now use the same sound including Teams (aside from customizable ones within apps that allow it, like Whatsapp)

This has to be something that can be fixed. This must have been overlooked!? I wonder if the product manager studied other messaging apps before making this decision

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We went so far as to install external speakers, (even for laptops!) so notifications can be heard.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ASAP Sound options and volume required for Teams Notifications

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base