How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Browser/OS independent desktop notifications using HTML5

Not sure about the desktop clients because there isn't one available for my operating system. However, the web app is essentially unfit for purpose because I can't tell when anyone is trying to contact me unless I sit there, constantly staring at the app.

346 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Miguel Angel Garcia Grande commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point to a chat/email application you don't get notifications from? Do we have to schedule ourselves to check the browser every now and then?

Desktop notifications in web applications is no longer an issue. This is a must for any chat/email client.

• Dominik Dünnebacke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the Teams app is not compatible with non-persistent-VDI environments, such as Citrix and RDS. There is already a feature request to fix that: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18882088-non-persistent-vdi

In that scenario using the web app is a great option but the lack of notifications makes it hard to get the backing of the users and thus the management. Also on Linux notifications would be a great enhancement.

The lack of this feature is currently preventing us from rolling out in a 1000 user environment.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Web app is almost useless without desktop notifications, and since it is the only option for some of us this should be a high priority.

• Lorenzo S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No (desktop) notifications from the browser is a big issue. On various teams we are trying to move to Microsoft teams, but missing chat notifications is a real problem for effectively using this tool.

• Leonard Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys,

I'm unable to get any notifications here too. This is dismal because we're attempting to move over from slack but if there's no notifications, it won't be too useful. a fast paced environment will benefit from notifications

Sure there will be noise but it's needed noise. if not, just switch it off per channel i guess?

Cheers

• Paul Stejskal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement. It's not that hard. It's frustrating that this isn't a feature. My company went from using IRC in my team to Teams and I run Linux and don't have an option outside of a VM for running this.

• Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Myself and many of my coworkers are using the Teams browser version with Chrome on Linux and would greatly appreciate being able to receive desktop notifications. I would also be open to writing a Teams app to add this functionality if possible.

• Adam Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Chris we've got a few people in the office that were using @Pete's solution below, but that has mysteriously stopped working for all of us at some point over the past couple of months

• Pete Bostrom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've got this working by setting the Chrome notifications to Allow, rather than Ask (default).

Teams doesn't seem to ask to send notifications, but if you set it manually to allow then it worked for me.

1. Click the Secure padlock in the address bar
    2. Set Notifications to "Always allow on this site"

• Nate Wheeler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Vyacheslav, this would let me use Teams in Linux with almost no difference to the Windows client. Must easier than creating a whole client for Linux.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.