How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Browser/OS independent desktop notifications using HTML5

Not sure about the desktop clients because there isn't one available for my operating system. However, the web app is essentially unfit for purpose because I can't tell when anyone is trying to contact me unless I sit there, constantly staring at the app.

318 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dominik Dünnebacke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The feature is also available in our tenant. Tested successfully on Chrome and Edge. Thanks for the implementation!

One suggestion though: When a notifications is received the browsers task bar icon should blink (currently not the case). Otherwise a user might miss a new message if he is not present when the notification was received.

• Aakash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just noticed this is now available and working in our tenant using Chrome and Edge. Opera produced a generic notification but didn't have any information, and IE produced no notification. So if it's not available if your tenant yet, it should be available soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a timescale for this? It is a deal breaker moving clients from GSuite

Honestly it is a lack of feature there... Shouldn't Microsoft Teams support teams and not prevent them from effective work?
        There are basic features missing in Microsoft Teams that competitive tools had from day one!

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, this is becoming a joke, your own customers are building this capability in a day or two with browser extensions for Chrome and FF. You say you are serious about competing with Slack but then do stupid stuff like this. Its like fumbling at the 1 yard line...

• Tamas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only Microsoft can release a chat application without notifications.

• Ricardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warren,

Respectfully, it's been almost a month since the last update that it was being worked on. Any fresher update? :)

The notification should just not be popping u when we are working on Microsoft teams. It should be independent of whatever work we are doing, if there is any pop up in MS Teams then we should get the indication without missing any conversation.

• Bob Franklin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to get my customers over to Teams from SfB, I need that blinking capability they have today in SfB for persistent chat. They are unwilling to move. As they are shared desktop users, the fat client is not a replacement due to the maintenance at the customer profile requirement. The web client is the better option. That is roughly 2K customers that use persistent chat.

• Scott White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really looking forward to this. As a Linux user this would go very long way to making a TEAMS a usable product unitl Linux client iscreated.

• David López commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see some of you are in some way using my Tampermonkey based script in order to alert for notifications (https://github.com/Dellos7/ms-teams-notifications-tampermonkey) until this feature is added to MS Teams Online...

This is basically a workaround that lets you at least receive notifications in the browser.

@Dominik Dünnebacke, would you mind sharing that extension?

We ended up creating an extension for Google Chrome that is based on this user script: https://github.com/Dellos7/ms-teams-notifications-tampermonkey

It doesn't do rich notifications but at least the user knows that there are a new notification that require attention. Get's us in a state where we can finally roll out Teams. Hope Microsoft gets this fixed soon though including rich notifications. Creating this extension took us roughly one day.

• Johnny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is frustrating for our team. On Teams on the Web – Message Notifications seem to be hidden unless we have the browser on top of window panes.

• Gary Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same old story with Microsoft. Relying on their monopoly power and legacy install base to ignore basic features and not support other platforms. Back to Slack we go.

I really cannot understand that how careless microsoft teams development team can be that they they missed such a huge feature in web app.

• Miguel Angel Garcia Grande commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point to a chat/email application you don't get notifications from? Do we have to schedule ourselves to check the browser every now and then?

Desktop notifications in web applications is no longer an issue. This is a must for any chat/email client.

Currently the Teams app is not compatible with non-persistent-VDI environments, such as Citrix and RDS. There is already a feature request to fix that: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18882088-non-persistent-vdi

In that scenario using the web app is a great option but the lack of notifications makes it hard to get the backing of the users and thus the management. Also on Linux notifications would be a great enhancement.

The lack of this feature is currently preventing us from rolling out in a 1000 user environment.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base