How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use built in notifications for macOS

Notifications built into the OS (which all apps I've seen use other than Outlook and now Teams) are more functional and allow for more user control. Most importantly, they honor Do Not Disturb settings, which is critical.

2,048 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sergi Isasi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

228 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so used to notifications in mac os that I often do not notice new messages in MS Teams app if sound is off. This is a must have for mac os x...

• Jayson Kish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really looking forward to this being implemented. The side of my screen is becoming unruly and it just appears to be in poor choice to use a custom notification mechanism when there's one already in place and available within the OS.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update here?

This is a big pain point when using multiple monitors as I consistently miss notifications. Native notifications is the easiest solution, but at the very least having settings to make the notifications persistent on screen is needed.

• Neil Despres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is making Teams a lot more difficult to use than our previous IM solution (Skype for Business). Please bring back OS-native notifications in macOS.

• Sergey Konovalov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just found this while submitting feedback, because this is extremely inconvenient to have notifications overlapped. For over 2 years thousand of people suffer from not being able to work in normal way. This is indeed so embarrassing.

• Joel Vasallo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is frankly embarrassing. Being unable to hide alerts during things like Do Not Disturb and presenting are frankly making Teams adoption a pain...

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typically microsoft.. implement something that is worse than the native and built in solutions.
    Can this be on top of the todo list?! This is rediculous!!!!

• Ben F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. It's just silly the way it is now, and really annoying and potentially embarrassing

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am glad to hear that this is being worked on. Note that since native notifications are not used, the very helpful Muzzle app (https://muzzleapp.com/) does not block the Teams notifications when screen sharing.

• Matt Shirley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notifications appearing on the wrong monitor. Notifications appearing in the wrong space. Missed notifications due to screen resolution changes. Unprofessional notifications appearing on the projection screen in front of a massive audience because the macOS app doesn't respect the system-wide "do not disturb" setting.

This is actively hostile to your users, and should be the #1 priority for your macOS developer team.

• Brandon Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The notification system in place right now (Microsoft Teams Version 1.1.00.31953) is absurd. It is unarguably harder to build and maintain a custom notification system than to integrate into a well-documented one based on the OS it's running on. Even more annoying that I can't change any preferences regarding it, resulting in a bunch of purple flags in the top right of my window all day. Support for MacOS's notifications system is a basic inclusion that companies with way fewer resources can manage, it does not make sense that Microsoft could not handle it.

• Matthew Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're new to Teams, and I continually get asked about this. Ironically, some LINUX users have stated that their Web browser now gives notifications. . .
    I just added the app to my mobile and turned on all notifications there since I always have it on me, but this is another basic failing *(Like custom status or messages from S4B)*

• Matthew Brierley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As much as I like Teams, this is pretty embarrassing. I don't get any notifications because they only appear on the main desktop and not over other fullscreen programs. Therefore I miss everything from my colleagues, which is ridiculous.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.