How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use built in notifications for macOS

Notifications built into the OS (which all apps I've seen use other than Outlook and now Teams) are more functional and allow for more user control. Most importantly, they honor Do Not Disturb settings, which is critical.

2,047 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sergi Isasi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

228 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nikki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My team would love this. We currently have to completely shut Teams off when presenting to avoid any embarrassing popups that override Mac's DND mode. Teams is the only app that seems to do this.

• Matt Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just yesterday on my Mac I was embarrassed in a meeting because a notification from Teams popped up on my screen during a presentation, even though I had macOS's "Do Not Disturb" turned on. This needs to be fixed!

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm actually stunned they shipped the OS X version without integration into Notification Center. The free version of Skype has this integration! This would be a huge value-add to my organization; it's by far the biggest complaint since we've migrated to Teams in our all-OSX company.

• Justin Dickow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Teams is the only application I know of that still shows notifications somehow while I have do not disturb on in my notification center. UGH

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a "work-around" for this issue: I disabled all notifications and installed the app for the iPhone which does actually use normal system notifications with all their advantages. If something happens I'll find out via my phone instead of these very broken purple bubbles that break through do not disturb and fail to stack with system messages.

(This is like a textbook example of why everyone who is serious about cross-platform should write a proper full native app for each platform. The platform gives you great tools. Use 'em!)

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's also frustrating when it pops up behind my existing system notifications and so I can't read it without closing those. So then I end up missing the notification because I hadn't closed out all my notifications.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the issues with this is that the native notifications from other apps cover up the Team ones when both are active. If it was a native app, these notifications would stack.

• Patrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now there's two different styles of notifications for me: Native OS X notifications and Teams notifications.

It happens quite often that I miss the notifications for Teams because it looks so different from the native notifications which doesn't make me focus on them.

Please unify the notification appearance with native notifications.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like a no-brainer. Other Electron (or similar) chat apps like Slack and HipChat have done this for some time, to very good effect. I strongly prefer a centralized,integrated notification tool over a medley of standalone options.

• Patricia Washburn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES, this is the exact issue I'm having with Teams -- I can't increase the font size, and I'm also on a 27" Mac. As a person over 40, I need to be able to adjust the font size myself.

There are a lot of requests that are asking for the same thing and if you were to combine them, you might be surprised at the volume of the actual base request: Use the built-in Notifications on macOS. It's a no-brainer.

If you review the mac feedback the general consensus is that you shouldn't override the Mac / OS X settings. This includes system notifications, controlling font sizes by zooming, double clicking on window's title bar to minimize, and autocorrecting misspellings.

There are probably more, but this is a serious annoyance and makes Teams almost unusable for anyone on a Mac & OSx device. I don't want to open settings and disable notifications on teams every time I do a screen share or presentation, but I have to. I'd also like the ability to read the text on my 27" iMac, but I can't because it's small and can't be scaled or zoomed. If there are multiple windows open and I decide to double click on the title bar for each window, I expect that window to close, not expand to the width of my screen! And Mac owners who use(d) Slack, Messages, and even Skype have come to expect autocorrect to fix misspellings; Teams is the only chat app that I've used on my Mac that doesn't include this feature.

It's very difficult to tell designers and marketers on my team that they need to use Teams. But since they use Macs it's a burden to keep them on the platform.

• Matt Boelter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, the current notifications do not work with full screen workspaces. Use of the system notification would resolve this.

• Chaz Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't agree with this suggestion more. This will help maintain a consistent experience with the OS and allow you to check for missed notifications via the notification center.

• Daniel Stranathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen brotha. No reason to reinvent the notification wheel - especially when Apple has taken care of it and lets users select/control various aspects of notifications from a single pane (sounds, badges, dialogs etc).

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.