How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use built in notifications for macOS

Notifications built into the OS (which all apps I've seen use other than Outlook and now Teams) are more functional and allow for more user control. Most importantly, they honor Do Not Disturb settings, which is critical.

2,047 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sergi Isasi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

228 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Peter Caruso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is super important. Without a reliable notification system, I can't rely on teams for information when multitasking. I don't see why you would use your own notification system over the built in feature which has proven to be 1000 times better

• Mouni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should move to the 'MAC' node. I assume that teams going integrate these to OSX and they are probably (hopefully) watching that node.

• Clifton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have already come to grips with the fact that this app will never been fully native, but please at least use native push notifications. :) Do your best to be a good macOS citizen.

• Alexander Ruhland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a huge improvement to Teams. During work i frequently use the Do not Disturb setting for Notifications on Mac. E.g. to not get disturbed by notifications during presentations or screensharing.
    Teams doesn't integrate with the MacOS notification system, therefore one has to remember to turn off teams notifications explicitly. That extra step wouldn't be necessary if the OS notification system was used.

• Derk-Jan Hartman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And the current notifications don't adhere to the Do Not Disturb setting of the notification centre, which is very annoying !

• Gary Keeler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem I have with the current notifications is that I can't dismiss one without opening Teams. I.E. A notification comes up and I click the "X" to close it but instead it opens teams up.

Obviously this is a issue because every message requires me to stop what I'm doing just to make the notification disappear.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not a launch feature? Notifications have been part of macOS before it was renamed macOS. Leave it to Microsoft to go and do something drastically different and less functional on the Mac. Please fix this ASAP.

• Jason Tenpenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't really understand why this functionality wasn't present out of the gate. Seems like a no-brainer to me. It's not like you're doing something cool with the custom notification that you couldn't have done with the system notification.

• J. Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+5 to this one, PLUS these notifications don't disappear when I move into the app, and they last WAY too long. Native native native for all these things, otherwise it's not intuitive and I'd rather use free slack or gchat.

• Lindsay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is currently a source of great frustration. Notifications go unseen due to being hidden under other ones.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I've enabled a Mac's do not disturb function so notifications don't appear during a screen sharing session with customers, Teams still sends notifications to the desktop. Please work with the OS' do not disturb setting to suppress notifications when enabled.

• Micah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is also affecting our Mac users. For a comparison, Outlook 2016, although not integrated with Apple notifications, doesn't display new messages received when the Mac is in do not disturb mode.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.