How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Use built in notifications for macOS

Notifications built into the OS (which all apps I've seen use other than Outlook and now Teams) are more functional and allow for more user control. Most importantly, they honor Do Not Disturb settings, which is critical.

1,553 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sergi Isasi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

175 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ben F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. It's just silly the way it is now, and really annoying and potentially embarrassing

• Will Darnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over two years since this thread started and four months since "Working On It". Is this going to happen?

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am glad to hear that this is being worked on. Note that since native notifications are not used, the very helpful Muzzle app (https://muzzleapp.com/) does not block the Teams notifications when screen sharing.

• Matt Shirley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notifications appearing on the wrong monitor. Notifications appearing in the wrong space. Missed notifications due to screen resolution changes. Unprofessional notifications appearing on the projection screen in front of a massive audience because the macOS app doesn't respect the system-wide "do not disturb" setting.

This is actively hostile to your users, and should be the #1 priority for your macOS developer team.

• Brandon Sullivan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The notification system in place right now (Microsoft Teams Version 1.1.00.31953) is absurd. It is unarguably harder to build and maintain a custom notification system than to integrate into a well-documented one based on the OS it's running on. Even more annoying that I can't change any preferences regarding it, resulting in a bunch of purple flags in the top right of my window all day. Support for MacOS's notifications system is a basic inclusion that companies with way fewer resources can manage, it does not make sense that Microsoft could not handle it.

• Matthew Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're new to Teams, and I continually get asked about this. Ironically, some LINUX users have stated that their Web browser now gives notifications. . .
        I just added the app to my mobile and turned on all notifications there since I always have it on me, but this is another basic failing *(Like custom status or messages from S4B)*

• Matthew Brierley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As much as I like Teams, this is pretty embarrassing. I don't get any notifications because they only appear on the main desktop and not over other fullscreen programs. Therefore I miss everything from my colleagues, which is ridiculous.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates here? Hoping it's easier to make notifications for Apple's out-of-the-box system than it was to design and implement custom notification banners to begin with.

• Max Bondarenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? Im missing all notifications because they are on the desktop 1. Why you haven't used native notifications in the first place?
        Literally the only app on the macOS that uses its own custom "banners". Really unthoughtful

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on this?

I've spent weeks having annoyed people walking up to me asking why I don't ever answer teams. We just transitioned from Hipchat and I didn't realize that they were going to Desktop1 instead of the built in notification tray like Slack and Hipchat does/did. Since I work in full screen apps non-stop I had to turn on "Always Notify Me" in the phone app so my watch would buzz and cause me to go looking for the chat window.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How difficult just to add an "Opt out" option? as a short term work around.

The only way to make the existing pop-up more annoying would be to flash the entire screen and shift the mouse focus to the pop-up. :)

• Nati serrano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hey Warren, is this ready? outlook is better than spark, but I am using spark because they have the native macOs notifications and outlook uses that ugly mini window instead, let us know when it's ready! else share your code source and I'll code it myself :)

• jwsadler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current implementation is frustrating, because Teams notifications are hidden behind OSX notifications. If you cannot integrate with OSX notifications then allow us to move the location they appear.

• Anderson Correa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Esta atualização é muito importante, pois trabalhando em tela cheia no macOS não é possível ser notificado das mensagens, a não ser que esteja com fone de ouvido para ouvir o singelo tom de nova mensagem. Lancem essa melhoria o quanto antes por favor! =D

• Trevor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be right at the top of the to-do list. It's been a huge, unnecessary pain point.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Feature request is need. Was just in a meeting where I was screensharing. Even though I had set DND for system notifications, the Teams notifications popped in and was shared with everyone. Until this is address, I'll need to close Teams or limit notifications.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base