How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

6,983 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Angela Sze shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Suphatra responded  · 

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback – we hear you loud and clear. After talking this over with the Engineering team, I confirmed this will remain on the backlog and we are actively considering how to accelerate.

Tweet me if you have any questions! @skprufo

Suphatra

908 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This missing client is giving me a huge pain because my dev-team has huge problems with internal communication

Product Owner Suphatra seems to move over to Amazon AWS.
        Who is in charge for the Teams Development Roadmap now?
        Linux client is still a must, at least please remove the browser check...

It's been a while since your last update.... What's next? Want to get rid of Slack, but I'm not allowed as long as there is no fully featured client for linux... (yes, I know that chatting via browser is already working...)

Hey Guys, hurry up. We are loosing our Linux Users. We need a full client with Screensharing included. Speed up and start developing

It would be ok for me, not to have an native Linux app. In fact, it works mostly in chrome/chromium. There are just few bugs and things that prevent me from using teams productivly there. Maybe you should focus on that first.

I used this guide: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/TEAMS-and-LINUX-The-Future-is-Now/td-p/251876

This comment allowed me to do video calls: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/TEAMS-and-LINUX-The-Future-is-Now/m-p/266006/highlight/true#M18298

But when having the fake UA active, no chat messages come in.

That's far from ideal.

My company mostly uses Windows. But we will switch back to slack if you do not provide a solution to this. We need our dev department to communicate to our business departments.

• Guillermo Mateo Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, now that Suphatra has moved on from MS to AWS, who will be updating us on this matter? The last response to the forum dates back to October 18, 2018. Does MS love Linux? Does the user have a voice? Does it matter? My Fedora system runs a fully reliable Skype client that I can only connect to my MS account. Why is it so difficult to create a similar client for Office365 users? Can we get an update, or is this forum dead for a Linux audience? Is MS's expressed love for Linux a gimmick? Tic, toc...

• Hans Dickel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Linux client is needed to complete the Teams portfolio with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android platforms. Microsoft has provided great support for this platform for developers, especially with Azure, .NET Core, Visual Studio Code, etc. So the absence of a major collaboration tool for this OS is surprising. Its absence after 3 years from the initial request is abhorrent, made worse as being flagged as "on the backlog". Git 'er done.

• Aaron Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm moving to linux for my development machine, but I need the webcam and screen sharing to work in teams. If many more of us switch, we may have to consider Slack instead.

• mf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would welcome an update. We are trying to deploy Teams in my organisation but large chunks of the scientific community (and others) cannot fully engage. We don't actually want a desktop client. We just want fully-featured, working WebRTC with Chrom* and preferably also Firefox on Debian/Ubuntu and other popular Linux distributions.

• Guillermo Mateo Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a high-priority need for my organization. Without it, we affect workflows that are critical to the accomplishment of tasks, and the subsequent fulfillment of customer requirements on a timely fashion. This issue ranks fourth in number of votes, and I believe it is counter-productive to have it on the backlog. Moreover, it is contradictory to Microsoft's stated renewed purpose to align more with Linux and the open-source community. You can't say one thing and immediately do the opposite. You just don't need acceleration at this point, but some forward motion would be appreciated. I should not be looking at Rambox, unofficial projects, and hardware hacks in order to achieve a functionality that Slack appears to fulfill with ease. Please help us soon...

• Holger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently using Teams. However, since many of our colleagues use Linux, we look for an alternative solution and will move away from Teams. I do not have any hope that Microsoft is listening, though it's worth a try.

I'm excited for this feature, making it a collaboration tool and not just some MS gimmick.

What's the status by the way?

• joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you just bridge the gap between multi platforms using teams? No matter how strict you are with your licenses(bundle or not) bla bla bla there will always be linuxers who have to use linux for development. You will eventually benefit from this since we have to use your product. Its already 2019, who makes apps for just one/two platform(s)?

• Juliano Jeziorny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Suphatra,
        It's been a while since your last update, I was wondering if you have any further news on this matter?

JJ

← Previous 1 3 4 5 45 46

Feedback and Knowledge Base