Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• or
  1. Merge threads from within a channel

We need to ability to merge threads that become disjoint back into a single thread. This includes similar threads that are separated by some gap in time as well as merge separate threads that get started on common topics.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Merge last message with existing reply thread

Often I find that I inadvertently start a new thread instead of replying to an existing thread. I blame this in part on the UI design and would like to see that fixed.

However, for this feature I'd just like an easy way to fix it after the fact. Currently I can copy the message I just typed, pasted it into the original thread and then delete it if I'm fast enough and copy/paste wants to cooperate. I'd like a feature to do the same thing but automatically. I'd like an option on the reply line context menu for…

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drag chat messages to merge them into one reply thread

Since a lot of people type messages in quick succession, it'd be helpful to have the ability to drag and merge them together into individual "reply threads".

461 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Suphatra responded

Thanks everyone for the clarifications to this request. Upon further technical review, we have decided to decline this request at this time.

Please continue to contribute your ideas — they push us to innovate, problem solve, and really understand your needs.

Thank you!
    Suphatra

4. Would like to be able able to merge a thread in a chat to another thread

We use Teams chats threads to discuss different topics which need to be segregated. We often have a lot of participants in Teams chats and they sometimes start a new conversation instead of replying to an existing one. It would be great to be able to have a menu item to merge that conversation back into the proper thread, with an option to insert it according to the time it was created (instead of just appending at the end)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Too many people start a new thread instead of replying to a thread

Too many people start a new thread instead of replying to a thread. There are many ways to solve this, but this needs to be improved.

1. Merge new comment into an existing thread.
      This is probably the easiest fix. And each time you move someone's new message to a thread reply you teach them to do it better next time! So this solves both problems.

2. Modify UI design to make it slightly more difficult to start a new thread vs reply to an existing one.

3. Any other creative idea.

Bottom line, look how many requests are solutions to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Merging Teams

Merging Teams: As organizations evolve, functions are merged and as a result there is a need to merge Teams including files and content

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Threads

Once a thread is started, the "Reply" at the bottom should always be a text input.

Private DMs should also have threads

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Thread subject and focusing on a thread

When viewing a channel, it would be nice to be able to select a thread (within the channel) to focus/expand on. Sometimes the threads can get long, and distinguishing between one thread and another can be difficult. If you could select a thread and have it expand the thread so that it is the sole focus of the window, that would be nice. See Zulip for an example of how this is done well. The fact that each thread has a subject/title is very nice, as well. It is a clear/logic separation of conversations within a channel.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. thread

I was thinking it would be great if you could include members who are not part of a channel to a certain thread, so even though they are not part of the channel and cannot see the other threads, they can participate in the thread that they are tagged in.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Sort Conversations by thread creation, not thread replies

I don't like the fact that if someone replies to a thread in a channel, it becomes the newest message added. Channels should be sorted by message/thread creation first, not replies to a thread.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Threads

I wish things were in more of a thread. Not unique posts when somebody responds or likes something. And then when someone posts something new, a new thread is started.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Bring attention to unanswered threads (Thread overview maybe)

When you add a Thread to a channel and there are multiple threads that come in the same day your thread might get lost and might never get an answer.

An overview of all threads might bring attention to those not answered

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Channel Thread Status

At the moment there can be many threads in one Teams channel. Unfortunately it is not possible to see whether the discussion in a thread has come to a conclusion or not. If you are one of many participants in several threads then it is hard to see if a thread is "closed" or still "open".

Please implement the possibility to mark threads in channels a s closed and having them visually marked so that it is instantly apparent which threads are over and which are not.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add threads to group chats. Get rid of the activity thread.

Add threads to group chats. Get rid of the activity thread.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. broken threads

I would like the ability as a channel / team moderator to fix brokwn threads - this happens a lot. It could perhaps be avoided, if the app ensures that the 'Reply' box is available when clisking on a thread, as the most obvious box to type in is the New Thread box.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Lock thread reply position

When someone sends a message as a thread, the thread needs to stay where it is.

When another user speaks, it's counted as a thread.

If you have 2 threads, and someone replies underneath the older thread, it becomes the newest thread on the list.

This causes me to miss entire chat histories, and re-read the same thread multiple times.

I want an option to lock the order of chat history, I don't care if it's a thread or a reply.

Even better, get rid of automatic threads entirely. Let everyone just send a message…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sub-threads

Sub-threads similar to slack

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Channel thread losing focus

When I'm in a thread, even in the middle of typing a sentence, and someone updates another thread in the channel, my thread loses focus. From my perspective my thread has just disappeared (is hasn't, it has just been moved up the channel scroll). This is terribly unexpected behavior.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Whatsapp-like threads

Show threaded messages in a way that retains the chronological order. Allow user to navigate to previous messages in the thread the way Whatsapp does it.

Then have a button to switch the view from chronological to fully threaded (the way it is currently implemented), and back.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to change default send from creating a new thread to replying to current thread

In any chat, I would like to be able to have all chats default to be threaded, and then break them out into new threads if needed. The current method is all chats are new threads.

Example: First message in chat creates thread, subsequent messages auto-reply to that thread. If someone wishes to start a new thread they can either change the message using the menu link on the right or press a button to start a new thread.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 32 33
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base