Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change the background image in a regular group chat

I would love to be able to change the background image in a regular group chat. I have a few group chats going, some are more private with work friends rather than a more formal group with my wider work team.

There has been a few times where I almost post something to the wrong group. If we could change the background image or even colour, it would make it a bit more clear.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Be able to change status

Be able to control status such as away. Or control how long it takes to show away.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Custom Status Message API

One can currently set a custom status message for when someone sends you a chat or mentions you in a channel. Please provide an administrative control to disable this by policy. And/or allow for the custom status message to be cleared/set by PowerShell or Graph API.

Use case: In the EDU sector students can (and do) abuse this with inappropriate status messages. Currently, the only control is an Acceptable Use Policy, and to clear it requires taking control of the account and manually clearing it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Presence  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow excel sheets in teams to have all the same features as a regular excel spreadsheet.

Allow excel sheets in teams/files to have all the same features as a regular excel spreadsheet. For example, copy and paste features, high lighting text to edit or even having multiple different colors of text within a cell. All of those options gray out once you try to edit text within the cell.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Teams option for teaching assistant

Teams should allow the addition of Teaching assistants to a teams class

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  People  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add another meeting option to ensure that any meeting pre-joins and post-joins are avoided

I will suggest adding an additional meeting option, when turning on the Only me or Selected people (presenters/attendee) restriction, to send everyone that is NOT presenters, into the lobby, unless any presenters are present in the meeting already.
    This should be an additional possibility and not necessarily a change of default behavior.
    This option would ensure that any post-meeting-joins or too-early-joins will not have any effect, unless the presenters themselves want to.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Meetings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. More options for the layout of a meeting recording

In Teams, it would be nice to have more meeting options regarding how the recording will look like. A selection of layouts - the current include-all, the presenters-only (no webcams or exposure of other attendants in the recording).
    Sometimes, it is more re-usable for the recording afterwards to be able to choose NOT to include other people (and the attendance count number) in the recording itself.
    Such an option could be set on each meeting with the current layout as the default, but be able to choose to select a clean presenter's video, let's say you will have a lecture…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Meetings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Black and white (b & w) video option

Would love to see the ability for the video option on Meetings to be black and white. Uniform video visibility, and tends to make everyone look great - regardless of background, location, tiredness level, etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Meetings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. teams should alert me to written, but unsent messages

Teams should alert me to written, drafted, but unsent messages in chat or team channels

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Team Gantt to see team bandwidth to fit new tasks into current workload

Have a team gantt chart that displays tasks that can be moved around as required to accommodate new work. As a manager, when an urgent task arises, I need to be able to quickly see who had bandwidth to take it without having to contact each person to see if they can take it on. I do not want to arbitrarily assign tasks as it may overwhelm the team member or distract them from high priority tasks. To be able to quickly access a dashboard of available bandwidth for all team members would be extremely helpful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Emoji's in Meeting Controls for Sentiment during Meetings

Emoji's in Meeting Controls for sentiment during meetings. For example, if you could set a like at a point during the meeting, you could identify from a timeline what resonated or what didn't go down so well. This would also cut down on using chat

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Preference to choose how to open Office Docs

when I am looking at files in Teams, it is a real hassle it always opens in Teams unless I right-click.

I have Desktop Office open for other files already, opening in Teams is just slower and less convenient, especially because I am usually trying to reference that doc and a chat also in Teams or something. Selecting to open in Desktop or Web browser is also still a pain

Maybe we could add an option for the default way you would like to open an office doc? and let us pick between Open In Teams, Open in Web Browser,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Teams integration with MacOS

MacOS Teams seems to work very well.

But, from a users' experience point of view, it leaves something to be desired. Its alerts and text inputting are different from most other Mac applications making it, at best, inconsistent.

It would be even better if it integrated with MacOS' notification infrastructure so that alerts don't collide, they act according to a user's desired location, persistance, timing, etc., and don't get buried by other things.

The same comment for text entry (chats, etc.). Please use and leverage the MacOS text input infrastructure so that the experience (spell checking, corrections, etc.) are consistent…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Mac  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Mouse over Teams windows taskbar icon to see active chats and/or active meetings

When Teams is running and you have multiple active chats and/or an active meeting, it would be nice to mouse-over the Windows Taskbar icon and be able to select any active chats or meetings in progress. This way you can quickly jump between them without having to navigate back through Teams directly. Maybe show the last 3 chat windows in the past X amount of minutes, and if there is an active meeting in progress also show that. Having different pop-out windows is different than what I'm asking. This way, even with pop-out windows, you can quickly switch between them…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Use Microsoft Pen to temporary draw/mark/point/highlight on Whiteboard

FEATURE REQUEST
    improve user experience/interaction on Microsoft Teams Whiteboard.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
    Sometimes when someone is explaining something on the whiteboard, the observers would like ask questions on specifics text/image/formula/etc. Like in a real class, you point with your finger.

Currently we have the Lasso Select, but this is used for another purpose other than pointing at something. If we want to use Lasso, then it will appear strong lines that might cover the text I want to highlight.
    Another option is to use the pen to draw a sign, but later we have to erase that change. If the other…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Stop asking me about the call quality and how i like teams, the more you ask the less i like it

Stop asking me to rate the quality of every call and if I like teams, the more you ask the less I like it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Celebrate Reaction

As we're using this for work, a "celebrate" reaction, would be great! We've got the emoji's for it, but to have a quick reaction, would be fantastic!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Emojis and GIFs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Move the Live Video bar to the Top of window

Since webcams are usually positioned at the top of monitors, it would make more sense to have the bar of other speakers to either be at the top of the screen, by default, or have the option to move it. Having the bar near your webcam makes it appear that you're still looking at your webcam while viewing the others.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Video view options

PLEASE give Video "Display " option where we can check (more than one):
    "speaker View Only"
    "Show All Participants"
    "Hide Non-video Participants"
    "Grid View or row view"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Alt+left/right to go to previous/next window

Match Windows Explorer and browsers: Alt+Left to go back (previous chat, team, etc) 1 window. And Alt+Right to navigate the history in the opposite direction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base