Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• or
  1. Skype integration (Consumer Federation)

It would be nice to integrate public Skype (not Skype for Business) into Teams. I am able to chat with Skype for business users within my organization but when working with external clients I still have to go back to public Skype. If I could even just simply chat and call with Skype users as well that would allow me to use Teams as my sole communication platform.

3,247 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

549 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Linux client

My team has some users on Linux, and one benefit Slack has is a Linux client. Without a Linux client on Microsoft Teams, some orgs may have to turn away in favor of Slack so everyone can participate without keeping a browser open all the time.

10,254 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1879 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Compact mode

I really like Teams. I do. But the current chat layout is not suited for professional chats. It's way to space consuming. It looks like something imported from MSN with smiley's that take half of the screen. I would say that Slack have nailed it because they focused on the ability keeping a tight window with lots of chat text visible. In Teams the window is full and starts scrolling after like 10 sentences.

12,629 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1397 comments  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Reference email in Outlook to discuss said email in a chat in Teams

The UX:

I, as a user in Outlook receive an email from someone who is not a user in my organization, usually outside my domain.

Example: Email from a client with a request, this email requires a formal response.

In Outlook in the ... drop down button, I would like to see an option to "Discuss in teams".

Purpose: There's an email, I want to talk to my team members about said email, and formulate a response, approve

In a modal, I would want to see the following:

1: People who are already CC'd in the email from my organization…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Help us SEARCH and FIND things in Teams

We want improvements to search:

Thanks for all of the great feedback on search. This item has evolved to cover many different suggestions over time, many of which are in the product today. Please see this article for current functionality: https://support.office.com/article/Search-for-messages-in-Teams-4A351520-33F4-42AB-A5EE-5FC0AB88B263.

We are setting this item to completed, but please feel free to upvote/comment on the items below, as well as create additional ones that are missing:​

1) Ctrl+F to search within a specific chat or channel: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/31074775

2) Search content by partial words: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/31907140

3) Search results should show the full thread: - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19594636-search-results-should-show-the-full-thread

4) Search OneNote: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/31876378

5)…

4,487 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

376 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all of the great feedback on search. This item has evolved to cover many different suggestions over time, many of which are in the product today.

We are setting this item to completed, but please feel free to upvote/comment on the items below, as well as create additional ones that are missing:​

1) Ctrl+F to search within a specific chat or channel: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/31074775

2) Search content by partial words: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/31907140

3) Search results should show the full thread: - https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/19594636-search-results-should-show-the-full-thread

4) Search OneNote: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/31876378

5) Improve search results: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/30971131

Please see this article for current functionality: https://support.office.com/article/Search-for-messages-in-Teams-4A351520-33F4-42AB-A5EE-5FC0AB88B263.

Thank you!

7. URLs generated from TEAMS are too long for Outlook 2016

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow removal of people from Group Chats

Once a person is added to a group chat. You cannot remove them. You must create a new chat and lose all the history.

1,562 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

203 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Disable USB GPO Not Working with Windows 10 Pro N Edition

I have a Group Policy setting configured to Deny Read/Write access to USB drives on all computers. It is applied to the correct OU's, it is not filtered out, and I can see via RSOP & gpresult that this setting is correctly applied to the PCs.

However, some Windows 10 PC's do not apply this setting and USB devices can still be accessed regardless of what the GPO settings are.

Recently, somebody responded to a post I had made on another site and he was able to identify the issue.

As it turns out, the service, Portable Device Enumerator Service,…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  IT Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Mute a channel - (Mute Chat is complete)

I'd love to keep groups/channels in my list, but mute a channel so I don't get those. I get notified whenever some tags a channel eg @General, it's super distracting!

Also would like the possibility to mute a group chat, so no sound or mobile notification should be received for a user that chooses to mute some group chat.

1,129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

166 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Muting both a channel and a chat are now available to the public.

When you mute a channel, you will continue to get notifications for the following:
    - @Team mentions in that channel
    - Replies and reactions to conversations which you have taken part in that channel
    - @Channel mention of other channels in that muted channel

What you will stop receiving notifications for are:
    - All new posts in that channel
    - Replies to those posts in that channel
    - @Channel mentions of that channel

To mute a particular channel,
    - Go to the channel overflow menu (triple dot) and choose “Channel notifications”
    - Select “Off” for all the menu options you see in that “Channel notifications” dialog box

Thanks!

11. Share more information with us, please!

"How can you make Microsoft Teams better?"
    > This is no technical feature..

1. More updates on top X ideas. More interaction with the people who are using the App. People who take the effort to post/vote ideas feel left out if you stop providing updates or don't respond at all. This is not just a forum that can exist without a moderator. This is an enterprise corperation's official UserVoice site. Meaning, no voice of the corporation = bad

2. Provide an up to date roadmap. The current roadmap is great, it looks nice (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Teams%2CLaunched). Sadly most uservoice ideas with…

216 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Getting Started  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Nested Teams and subchannels

Could it be possible to create teams within teams. For example, we have a Development Team at our company which consists of two sub-teams, tech support team and project team.

I’d love to be able to have a “home” top-level channel for my project team, and then have sub-channels for each project that we are working on.

1,540 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

234 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded

This request has been reviewed and declined by the feature team.

You can continue to up vote this topic as well as leave comments. Depending on the ongoing feedback, there is always a chance a topic will be revisited based on user demand.

-Warren

13. Notification at file upload on team

Notification should be come in conversation tab when any body upload a file on team. Other wise other team members don't get the update about that file.

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Quoting previous Messages

A collegue of mine discovered this in markdown formatting (if you include a ">" before a paragraph it formats it as a quote, then 2xShift+Return to exit quote). This is a useful feature when trying to give context to a response that occurs later in a conversation thread.

Quoting should be a more integrated feature. I'm picturing a "quote" button below the message window that when you select it, it opens another window where you can select a message you want to quote. The tool should automatically date/time stamp the quote, format it the same as the markdown method,…

1,906 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  223 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Reporting Capabilities

We are after reporting capabilities to capture granular detail on activity within Teams.

We would like to have data capturing:
    1. Number of users enabled
    2. Number of daily active unique users
    3. Breakdown of devices uniquely used
    4. Number of teams created
    5. Number of teams deleted
    6. How many instant messages sent overall in the Chat
    7. How many calls made in Teams
    8. Number of files shared in channels
    9. How many combined ‘likes’ have been made over a period of time

1,429 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

114 comments  ·  IT Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support for Private Channels

Private channels enable focused private collaboration among a subset of your team. You can find detailed information on the capabilities and management of the private channels feature here - https://docs.microsoft.com/MicrosoftTeams/private-channels. Note: Work to release for the government clouds is in progress.

There are four other types of channel functionality on our backlog that we will continue to track – feel free to upvote and/or comment on the items listed next to each:
    - Channel only members: to enable collaboration with people outside the team in a specific channel, without granting them access to the team itself.  The channel member…

25,138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2098 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Private channels enable focused private collaboration among a subset of your team. We are super excited to share that this feature is fully rolled out to the public ring. You can find detailed information on the capabilities and management of the private channels feature here – https://docs.microsoft.com/MicrosoftTeams/private-channels.
    There are four other types of channel functionality on our backlog – feel free to upvote and/or comment on the UV items listed next to each:
    - Channel only members: to enable collaboration with people outside the team in a specific channel, without granting them access to the team itself. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/31374577
    - Shared channels within an organization: allow people in different teams to collaborate on a shared project or v-team in the context of their own teams. https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/18615565
    - Shared channels across organizations: allow people in an organization other than yours to collaborate on a shared project or v-team. …

17. Allow sending messages to yourself

The Slack slackbot allows you send messages to yourself.

717 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

109 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Read Only channel

Would like to create a Public/announcements Read Only channel so that only specified members can post. This allows for authorized personnel to make company announcements, but not everyone can post.

(The request for a Public Announcement channel is complete, since the General channel can be controlled by admins and set to read only)

3,052 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

98 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

Due to a priority shift this request has slipped to the backlog. I hate to bring bad news. I will continue to provide the feature team your feedback and votes.
    Hopefully this will move back up in the queue soon.

-Warren

19. Guest Access

Collaboration is a core element of how we work which requires the creation of extended teams on a project or long term engagement. Whilst the majority of our teams are internal staff, there is still a critical element of any project that requires the inclusion of our clients and/or external vendors. It is imperative that Microsoft Teams allows for the easy (but secure) inclusion of external parties for the length of any project or engagement.

This is why historically products like Groups etc. have not been adopted as widely as we would hope. If the tool only allows for 60-70%…

8,132 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

768 comments  ·  Guest Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Warren responded

The #1 requested feature for Microsoft Teams is now here!

We’re starting to roll out the ability to add anyone as a guest in Microsoft Teams. This means that anyone with a business or consumer email account, such as Outlook.com, Gmail.com or others, can participate as a guest in Teams with full access to team chats, meetings and files.

For more info, check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Collaborate-securely-with-anyone-in-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/165941

Thank you all for your feedback and support!
    -Warren

20. Need a UC Mini skin for Teams UI during many Calling Scenarios

In many Calling Use Case scenarios, there’s a need to have Teams available for call control, but “out of the way” to free up screen real estate for other uses.
    Ideally, in that scenario, Teams should do one of a few things:
    Possible UC Mini Form factors:
    1. – Teams could be running in a “mini skin” with just a few buttons exposed: mute, hold, hangup, make other call, share screen. UC mini skin would need to be a forced foreground app “on top of” all other running apps. If the user shares their screen, this mini skin should NOT…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UX/Design  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base