Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• or
  1. Merge threads from within a channel

We need to ability to merge threads that become disjoint back into a single thread. This includes similar threads that are separated by some gap in time as well as merge separate threads that get started on common topics.

257 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

17 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Merge last message with existing reply thread

Often I find that I inadvertently start a new thread instead of replying to an existing thread. I blame this in part on the UI design and would like to see that fixed.

However, for this feature I'd just like an easy way to fix it after the fact. Currently I can copy the message I just typed, pasted it into the original thread and then delete it if I'm fast enough and copy/paste wants to cooperate. I'd like a feature to do the same thing but automatically. I'd like an option on the reply line context menu for…

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Drag chat messages to merge them into one reply thread

Since a lot of people type messages in quick succession, it'd be helpful to have the ability to drag and merge them together into individual "reply threads".

473 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Suphatra responded

Thanks everyone for the clarifications to this request. Upon further technical review, we have decided to decline this request at this time.

Please continue to contribute your ideas — they push us to innovate, problem solve, and really understand your needs.

Thank you!
    Suphatra

4. Merge Group Chat Thread with Meeting Thread When Meeting is Created in that Group Chat

When you create a meeting from a group chat, a new chat thread starts just for that meeting. It would be beneficial if this could operate like a channel and retain the files, chat thread, and notes between the group meeting and the group chat.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Meetings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Would like to be able able to merge a thread in a chat to another thread

We use Teams chats threads to discuss different topics which need to be segregated. We often have a lot of participants in Teams chats and they sometimes start a new conversation instead of replying to an existing one. It would be great to be able to have a menu item to merge that conversation back into the proper thread, with an option to insert it according to the time it was created (instead of just appending at the end)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add option to have non-threaded channels

I'd like the capability when I add a new channel to make it non-threaded. Threaded conversations are great for some channel topics, but other more casual channels get too cluttered with multiple threads. I'd prefer to have the flexibility to decide which format I want when I create the channel.

632 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

125 comments  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

This request is still being considered by the feature team but a final decision has not yet been made. I’m still awaiting more details.

-Warren

7. Too many people start a new thread instead of replying to a thread

Too many people start a new thread instead of replying to a thread. There are many ways to solve this, but this needs to be improved.

1. Merge new comment into an existing thread.
      This is probably the easiest fix. And each time you move someone's new message to a thread reply you teach them to do it better next time! So this solves both problems.

2. Modify UI design to make it slightly more difficult to start a new thread vs reply to an existing one.

3. Any other creative idea.

Bottom line, look how many requests are solutions to…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Messaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Merge threads in channel and make layer of channel

Merge thread in channel and make layer of channels.

We are doing many things on Teams.
    But at present function of Teams, we have to make a lot of channels and threads.
    It makes us complicating.
    If it be able to make layers of cahannels and merge threads in channels.
    Then, we can work functionaly and easy to find our objects.
    Please develop the mechanism.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base