Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Drag and Drop attachments

It really slows us down to have to click Attachment and browse the finder to find an image. Would prefer drag and drop.

1,781 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

52 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Suphatra responded

This item is still completed, HOWEVER many of you have reported a new issue: drag/drop does not work when you are taking a file directly from email (i.e. Outlook) and trying to drop it into Teams. I experience the same problem every day, too!

If you’d like this function, please add your votes to this UserVoice item for that specific drag/drop ask: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103/suggestions/16927345

Thanks and hope you’re having a great day.

Sincerely,
    Suphatra

2. Edit Office documents without leaving Teams

While it's wonderful you can view docs shared with a team and said doc gets placed in share-point. The moment you edit the doc you get sent to a web-browser. Considering it's literally HTML, it would be nice if that session presented with within Teams rather than a separate browser pop up. It would make the collaboration process more seamless as well s allow people to continue their persistent chat in teams while editing and not be tempted to use the suddenly disjointed chat built into word/excel.

I feel the more seamless this experience is (only pop up word if…

275 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone, this feature is completed and will ship to your clients soon. Some of you may have received it too soon (our error, not yours) and then seen it mysteriously disappear. Don’t worry, it’s coming back! :-)

It will also be noted and instructions will be provided in our Release Notes. You can find release notes when you start a conversation with T-Bot (Release Notes will appear in his tabs) or you can go to this external website: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Release-notes-for-Microsoft-Teams-d7092a6d-c896-424c-b362-a472d5f105de

If you have any questions or face any issues with this feature, please just ping me directly on Twitter at skprufo or via email at sparavimicrosoft.com.

Cheers,
    Suphatra

3. Reuse existing file in chat

In the chat if you press the attachment icon you can select files that already exist in the channel/team, this is great if you want to talk about them without opening them first.

BUT, the system will try to re-upload the file and the default action is to overwrite the file. I guess this will confuse users and possibly break same time collaboration. Renaming is even worse since it will create a copy just because I want to talk about the file.

I suggest that if the file already exists within teams you only will get an embed experience rather…

138 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  23 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support non-office files in Channel Conversations

Please add the ability to start a conversation around non-office files (although, Visio, Project are also left out). Users now have to "post a link" to the Files file in a conversation rather than initiating it right from the file.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Visio Viewer Integration

Please consider integration of Visio viewer and fixing the hyperlink for opening in SharePoint for Visio files. Currently using the Open hyperlink takes you to the SharePoint site but then downloads instead of using VIsio Viewer (hopefully that is an easy fix). It would also be nice if clicking a Visio in Teams launched a local viewer like we have for Excel and Word. This would make the experience more consistent with other Office documents.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Files deleted in channel, not in SharePoint Recycle Bin

I have a channel in Teams called; Phil-Test
    In SharePoint (Office 365 Groups), I then have a folder called; Phil-Test
    (It relates as you would expect)

In that folder is a file called; Phil-Test.docx
    That file is in the Teams under Files. It is also in the respective Office 365 Group

Issue:
    Good: If I delete the file from SharePoint (Office 365 Group), it goes to the SharePoint Recycle Bin
    Bad: If I delete the file from insite the Teams, the file disappears completely, and is NOT in the SharePoint Recycle Bin

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve implemented easier file recovery a couple months ago. So if you are afraid that deleted file is lost forever—don’t worry! Now, deleted files that were originally shared in a channel or a SharePoint tab will get sent to your SharePoint Recycle Bin. That way, if you ever need to recover a deleted file, you can head over to SharePoint and dig it out of the trash, so to speak.

7. Add sharepoint as a source to Files

Add sharepoint and Google drive and other cloud storage as sources.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Protect files from deletion

Some sort of ownership or protection would be great. As a team head I would like to post files and protect them from deletion or modification.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you accidentally deleted a file, don’t worry! (Or if one of your users accidentally deleted a file.) Just go click on “Open in SharePoint” from your Files tab, and once in SharePoint, just look in your Recycling Bin. The files will be right there.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base