Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We updated our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. File Opening

When someone sends a file in a team thread or an individual chat, the person opening the file has to download it. You should be able to open the file directly from the chat thread.

Currently, you download the file and then it disappears--you have to go find and open it from your desktop's Downloads folder. The files should open the same way they open in Outlook--double click the file and it launches the appropriate application and displays the file.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Channel templates

It would be nice to have a template for the Files section in Channels. Define your directory structure once, then apply it to every new Channel created in a Team.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shared folders

Allow to enter the shared folders on One drive! Otherwise its useless to use teams if i have no access to folders which are shared with me

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show all Content Types in 'New' dropdown from Files tab

When adding additional content types to a SharePoint library surfaced in a Files tab in Teams, the content types do not appear under the 'New' option inside the Files tab in Teams. They do appear in SPO.

In this example a new Content Type based on a Word file template has been added to the Document Library called 'Decision paper'. Here's what that looks like:
    From the Files tab: https://i.imgur.com/uEzVHwV.png
    From SharePoint: https://i.imgur.com/JRhLovZ.png

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  5 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. File Tab doesn't restore previous sort applied to files

Files Tab does not restore previous sort applied to files. I start the name of my folders with numbers to preserve sort order. Every time I visit the tab the files are out of order because they are using a default sort order (created date?) I would suggest maintaining the last sort on every files tab so end users do not have to sort every time they visit the tab. Hope this feedback helps!.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. More option for columns in files

Please give the option to show more columns in files.
    Actually you only have the columns "Type, Name, Date, Name, Size".

Same as you can do in SharePoint.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cloud Storage like Box repeatedly prompts for credentials

Cloud Storage like Box within Teams, keeps repeatedly prompting for credentials every 30 mins to 1 hour. Please renew the token silently before it expires. This will ease Users to access their files in Box.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Upload files by Copy & Paste from other applications

Transferring files from Outlook (or other applications that are handling files) is quite annoying. I have to Copy & Paste them to a local drive space (for example Desktop) and then upload the file to Teams.
    It would be much easier if the Teams app would handle the Clipboard.
    Then a simple right-click-"Copy" within Outlook and a right-click-Paste within Teams app would transfer files.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Upload more than 10 files at once

Why limit file uploads to just 10 at one time, it limits us getting a user to move their legacy data over to Teams.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Removal of the General folder from the document library

I think having a folder in the document library (called General) complicates what should be a simple experience.

You can save email attachments to Office 365 groups and that list includes the Teams you have access to.

However if you save a file to a team, the file is saved to the document library, but not inside the 'General' folder.

This makes sense, however it means that you cannot see the files saved, from the Teams interface - unless you create a new view, to see the parent directory... which would be a bit silly really.

Being able to save…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Sort by Name

When sorting folders by Name within a folder, have the numbered folders be sorted in numerical order.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Save email attachment directly to a Team

Using Outlook on the web I can save an attachment to ODB, locally, or preview. It's important for user adoption of Teams to be able to save directly to the Teams SP site in the appropriate folder.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Modify OneDrive files inside Teams

Currently, we can view OneDrive files directly inside Teams, but if we want to edit them, we have to edit in our web browser or in local...

It will be great to be able to modify directly inside Teams

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Delete files shared in chat

Files shared in Chat are stored to OneDrive, but there is no way to delete file from within Teams. When file is deleted from OneDrive, it is (of course) no longer available and the individual gets a "Sorry, we couldn't find you file" error.

I would like to remove the shared file entry from the Teams chat.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. And just why when I download a file from Teams, I'm not provided an option to select the location to save the file?

And just why does Teams NOT provide me with an option to select the location to save a downloaded file to or otherwise inform me of the specific location that was downloaded to? Isn't that like asking someone "where's the car is" to which the person responds "in the a parking lot"? Technically correct, but utterly useless.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add Option to Reduce/Remove Compression for Attached Image Files

Image compression really hampers teams who commonly share in-progress artwork or screenshots with each other.

I'd like the ability to opt-out of auto-compression, both for the files I upload and for certain channels where it is especially important that every pixel is untarnished.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Assignments - bulk download

I'd like to be able to bulk download student work so that I don't have to open the files one at a time online. When students write reports for grading, these are saved as .pdf files and I want to be able to download all of them at once and save them in my Assessment folder rather than having to download one at a time.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Easier File Contents Searching

Current File search functionality can tell which files contain certain content but do not take the user to that page of the file (in the case of, e.g., a PDF) nor highlight the searched text. Once a document is displayed, neither is there a Find/Ctrl+F function. These would be very welcome additions.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. We are setting up your file directory - still an issue from day one

This has been an issue for me and my whole team since day one.
    When trying to use files i get the following message: "We are setting up your file directory."

The same implies when trying to use for example one note: "We are setting up the OneNote notebook for this team. It will take a few minutes, please be patient and check out later." - nothing has happened for a few weeks.

Is this an ongoing issue to be solved?

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Syncing with an external or guest account

"Syncing with an external or guest account" is currently not supported by OneDrive - our company works extensively with external suppliers and we MUST be able to provide a cloud storage option with syncing by adding guest users to our MS Teams. Please add the function for Microsoft Accounts, added as guest to business MS Teams, to sync Team / Sharepoint files and folders.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base