Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Folders inside of channels' file section

Folders inside of the Files section of a channel would be handy

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    we have this!  ·  Suphatra responded

Just click on “Files” tab from inside the channel, and then click the “New” button. A drop down will appear — select “Folder”.

2. Syncing with an external or guest account

"Syncing with an external or guest account" is currently not supported by OneDrive - our company works extensively with external suppliers and we MUST be able to provide a cloud storage option with syncing by adding guest users to our MS Teams. Please add the function for Microsoft Accounts, added as guest to business MS Teams, to sync Team / Sharepoint files and folders.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Edit text files directly on teams

Great i cand edito word, excel and powerpoint files but icredibly i have to go to sharepoint text editor to edit text files, I think is a basic feature to be able to edit text files directly on teams.
    Thanks in advance

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. drag and drop files into folder in the files section

Id love to be able to drag and drop files into the right folder under files. there is no move functionality today.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Drag and Drop email

Add ability to drag and drop an entire email into the app, or flag an email and have the thread accessible in the app

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please add the option to remove the files tab

I want our team to use Sharepoint for files and therefore I have added Sharepoint at the tab bar on top. However, it doesn't seem possible to remove the files tab. This creates two places where files are stored. Please add the option to remove the files tab.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. File Tab doesn't restore previous sort applied to files

Files Tab does not restore previous sort applied to files. I start the name of my folders with numbers to preserve sort order. Every time I visit the tab the files are out of order because they are using a default sort order (created date?) I would suggest maintaining the last sort on every files tab so end users do not have to sort every time they visit the tab. Hope this feedback helps!.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Sharepoint view

Add the option to use SharePoint views from the document library in SharePoint sites.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Files shared in "chat" should work like Files shared in "Teams"

• Files shared in individual chats should appear under the files tab, both within the conversation and in the blue tab on the side bar.

• Files shared in individual chats should appear when searched for in the search bar.

Neither of these things happen. It's inconsistent, counterintuitive, and obnoxious. Please implement.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Suphatra responded

I have had this problem too, and trust me I find it not intuitive either.

I’ve sent this to the Files team and I’m going to find out where this is on the backlog so I can report back to you guys.

Meanwhile, the workaround is that you have to delete the chat message of which you sent the message.

Thanks and tweet me @skprufo if you have any questions!

Suphatra

10. Shorten Default "Files" URL from "Shared Documents" to "Docs"

This suggestion actually affects the underlying SharePoint service in addition to Teams.

The underlying URL for the default "Documents" document library in SharePoint is "Shared Documents", which in a URL is actually "Shared%20Documents" as spaces cannot exist in URLs and must be handled with the %20 character substitution.

This means that instead of being able to send a nice clean human readable URL to a file like:
    https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing/Docs/Collateral/design.docx

We end up with:
    https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing/Shared%20Documents/Collateral/design.docx

This is confusing for users.

I would even go so far as to request that every time a user attempts to create a folder or file name…

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Move Folders

I wish you can move folders within folder in file management :) Also, recent places would be very helpful.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow sync with password manager within Teams (like Keepass/LastPass)

As the tought of MS Teams is, that you manage all data from a company within Teams we need an Password manager app or connector that could be linked in several TEAMs or Channels which would work with sso. Personally i think we should be able to migrate all our existing Data/Software to Teams. But actually we as company have to get some third party vendors and an external application.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Posted Moved File Handling

When a file is moved or renamed after it has been uploaded and posted to a channel, the link referenced in the conversation in that channel never gets updated, therefore leaving a broken link with an existing conversation.
    If Teams is intelligent enough to post the file to the channel, and handles the move, it should be able to find and update the posted locations in the channels.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Sort files default by name in teams.

Sort files in Teams. Under files, the files are not sorted in "Names" by default. I have to press the sort button Name every time.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Assignments - bulk download

I'd like to be able to bulk download student work so that I don't have to open the files one at a time online. When students write reports for grading, these are saved as .pdf files and I want to be able to download all of them at once and save them in my Assessment folder rather than having to download one at a time.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. And just why when I download a file from Teams, I'm not provided an option to select the location to save the file?

And just why does Teams NOT provide me with an option to select the location to save a downloaded file to or otherwise inform me of the specific location that was downloaded to? Isn't that like asking someone "where's the car is" to which the person responds "in the a parking lot"? Technically correct, but utterly useless.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sort by Name

When sorting folders by Name within a folder, have the numbered folders be sorted in numerical order.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. File Opening

When someone sends a file in a team thread or an individual chat, the person opening the file has to download it. You should be able to open the file directly from the chat thread.

Currently, you download the file and then it disappears--you have to go find and open it from your desktop's Downloads folder. The files should open the same way they open in Outlook--double click the file and it launches the appropriate application and displays the file.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. File download with Drag & Drop

I really miss drag & drop within downloading files. I need to put project files to folder accorded to project. Without drag & drop I have to go to downloaded files folder first, and then move files to the project folder. So annoyin'. Gmail allows D&D attachment files.
    I also miss possibility to download all attached files at once. Again, Gmail can do it.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Removal of the General folder from the document library

I think having a folder in the document library (called General) complicates what should be a simple experience.

You can save email attachments to Office 365 groups and that list includes the Teams you have access to.

However if you save a file to a team, the file is saved to the document library, but not inside the 'General' folder.

This makes sense, however it means that you cannot see the files saved, from the Teams interface - unless you create a new view, to see the parent directory... which would be a bit silly really.

Being able to save…

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base