Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplications are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We updated our work items monthly
Follow us on Twitter: Official announcements come from our @MicrosoftTeams Twitter handle and often reference our blog at https://TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://M365Roadmap

How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shorten Default "Files" URL from "Shared Documents" to "Docs"

This suggestion actually affects the underlying SharePoint service in addition to Teams.

The underlying URL for the default "Documents" document library in SharePoint is "Shared Documents", which in a URL is actually "Shared%20Documents" as spaces cannot exist in URLs and must be handled with the %20 character substitution.

This means that instead of being able to send a nice clean human readable URL to a file like:
    https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing/Docs/Collateral/design.docx

We end up with:
    https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing/Shared%20Documents/Collateral/design.docx

This is confusing for users.

I would even go so far as to request that every time a user attempts to create a folder or file name…

49 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Easier way to view photos

Right now I have a folder in my Files tab with a bunch of photos. The only way to view those photos is to open the folder in sharepoint, then view each photo one by one. I can at least easily click from one to the next, however if I'm trying to find a specific photo, I just have to click through one by one until I find it. Ideally I'd like a tab in Teams that is specifically for photo viewing. Similar to a phone, or a folder on my desktop, I'd like to easily jump between viewing thumbnails,…

48 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • File Check in/out

We would like to be able to do file check in/out in Teams. We set our doc libraries to require check in/out.

47 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Posted Moved File Handling

When a file is moved or renamed after it has been uploaded and posted to a channel, the link referenced in the conversation in that channel never gets updated, therefore leaving a broken link with an existing conversation.
          If Teams is intelligent enough to post the file to the channel, and handles the move, it should be able to find and update the posted locations in the channels.

47 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• I would like to be able to add a specific Sharepoint View of a document library instead of just the SP document library

We can add a SP document library, but we cant add a specific view of that document library. With various people or teams working in the same SP library, we create various views for various teams. Thus adding a specific SP library view instead of "just" the full library helps in sorting and collaborating

47 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Please allow ZOOM when viewing Excel Spreadsheets in Teams

Spreadsheets are automatically zoomed in to only display a couple of lines/columns when opening them within Teams. I would love to zoom in/out and be able to see more on my screen within Teams instead of having to open it in a browser.

When I Right click, go to View, or use CTRL ALT - , there is still no zoom function. Please add a Zoom functionality in at least one of these methods. It wastes time to have to open the file in a browser just to be able to see an adequate portion of the spreadsheet.

46 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Move Folder

I would like folders to have the same options as individual files. When highlighting a file in the root directory you get the option to move the file. I would like to be able to consolidate folders. Currently you have to do this process via SharePoint.

43 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Alphabetical ordering of Folders under "Files"

I need to click to sort the folders under "Files" as they are scrambled every time I access the "Files" tab.

Thanks!

43 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create document based on a template

There is no ability to assign a document template to a team/document library.
                    A great functionality would be that a seperate document library could be assigned which contains all the document templates to choose from (Other site).
                    These templates can then be managed with the same functionality of SharePoint, but the published documents can then be used as a template to start your document.

41 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Sharepoint view

Add the option to use SharePoint views from the document library in SharePoint sites.

41 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Sync files from PC or Mac directly to Team folders / channels via Finder or Windows Explorer

Allow users to sync files from Windows PC or Mac directly to Teams folders / channels via Finder or Windows explorer. The current process is quite slow and laborious with the amount of steps one has to take in order to save files or share them.

OneDrive does this presently, but only for individuals. My team is looking for a SHARED drive where we can all save and send files and folders for our campaigns directly to the Teams folder via Sites - but the current process requires users to first save to their desktop and drag into the Teams…

39 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Download Folders

Let me download the whole folder! Instead I have to click on each file and download. Open other folders, download those files, then come out and into another folder and download files and then out and in again... it's very irritating. Why can't I download the root folder as a zip or something?

38 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • drag and drop files into folder in the files section

Id love to be able to drag and drop files into the right folder under files. there is no move functionality today.

38 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Cloud Storage like Box repeatedly prompts for credentials

Cloud Storage like Box within Teams, keeps repeatedly prompting for credentials every 30 mins to 1 hour. Please renew the token silently before it expires. This will ease Users to access their files in Box.

37 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  0 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • File Opening

When someone sends a file in a team thread or an individual chat, the person opening the file has to download it. You should be able to open the file directly from the chat thread.

Currently, you download the file and then it disappears--you have to go find and open it from your desktop's Downloads folder. The files should open the same way they open in Outlook--double click the file and it launches the appropriate application and displays the file.

37 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Show all Content Types in 'New' dropdown from Files tab

When adding additional content types to a SharePoint library surfaced in a Files tab in Teams, the content types do not appear under the 'New' option inside the Files tab in Teams. They do appear in SPO.

In this example a new Content Type based on a Word file template has been added to the Document Library called 'Decision paper'. Here's what that looks like:
                                  From the Files tab: https://i.imgur.com/uEzVHwV.png
                                  From SharePoint: https://i.imgur.com/JRhLovZ.png

36 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • No File Attach Option when a planner is viewed under Teams

I don't understand why the File option has been removed from Planner if the Planner has been created under Teams - the solution given by Microsoft Support is to attach the file in Teams General and then go into the Planner and the task and then create a link to this document - there would be specific documents that would only be relevant to this task and it seems a long way to have to attach. If you use Planner as an online app on its own the File option is available - this is causing confusion for our users

36 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Files shared in "chat" should work like Files shared in "Teams"

- Files shared in individual chats should appear under the files tab, both within the conversation and in the blue tab on the side bar.
                                      - Files shared in individual chats should appear when searched for in the search bar.

Neither of these things happen. It's inconsistent, counterintuitive, and obnoxious. Please implement.

35 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

try this instead  ·  Suphatra responded

I have had this problem too, and trust me I find it not intuitive either.

I’ve sent this to the Files team and I’m going to find out where this is on the backlog so I can report back to you guys.

Meanwhile, the workaround is that you have to delete the chat message of which you sent the message.

Thanks and tweet me @skprufo if you have any questions!

Suphatra

• Shared folders

Allow to enter the shared folders on One drive! Otherwise its useless to use teams if i have no access to folders which are shared with me

34 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Upload files by Copy & Paste from other applications

Transferring files from Outlook (or other applications that are handling files) is quite annoying. I have to Copy & Paste them to a local drive space (for example Desktop) and then upload the file to Teams.
                                          It would be much easier if the Teams app would handle the Clipboard.
                                          Then a simple right-click-"Copy" within Outlook and a right-click-Paste within Teams app would transfer files.

33 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base