Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:

1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (any duplicates are merged together)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow drag and drop from Outlook directly to Teams

Dragging and dropping attachments directly from the e-mail window without having to first drag them onto the desktop (for instance) and them from there dragging them to the files tab in Teams would make many lives so much easier.

There are a few suggestions to enable drag and dropping, but it seems that it is already working, at least with the desktop client, but making that work directly from an e-mail window would be very nice.

4,977 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

297 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is still on in the backlog. No new updates available at this time.

-Warren

2. Have the download function of files allow you to select the destination

Currently files are downloaded only to the DOWNLOAD folder. Allow a save as function / select download location.

2,232 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

293 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is now actively being worked upon. As we move through the development process, I will post an new updates to this topic.

Please keep the votes and feedback coming in. Your feedback is shared with the feature team every month.

-Warren

3. File column sort order

Make column sort order "sticky" so that if I prefer to sort my files by Name instead of Last Accessed, Team will remember my preference within a Team

1,487 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

249 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is still in the works. I hope to have more updates soon. I’ll keep you posted.
    -Warren

4. Add other Sharepoint document folders under Files

Please allow adding granular SharePoint document library subfolders to the Files tab. Currently, only the document library level can be added, not sub folders.

This allows adding content from related but separate SharePoint sites without having to provide the entire document library (which may contain irrelevant content to the Team)

1,420 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

174 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Open in Word/Excel/PowerPoint as Default

It would be great if Teams would have the ability to always launch the desktop app when opening Office documents as opposed to launching the online version.

Rest of teams is awesome.

1,070 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

104 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is still in the works. No additional updates are available at this time. I’ll keep you posted as I hear more.

-Warren

6. Allow hyperlinking to network drive locations

While you are currently able to hyperlink to any https:// address, hyperlinks to \\-mapped drives does not work. having the ability to do this would be a huge help for a company that has a sophisticated network drive setup for everyone to access

968 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

145 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add the ability to " Quick Print " a file without having to download or open in sharepoint

I want to have the ability to print a file without having to download it or opening Sharepoint. A "Quick Print" option would be 100% great

961 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

The feature team is still digging into the details of this item. I don’t have an update yet, but all your feedback and votes are shared with the feature team every month.
    I’ll keep pushing this item and hope to have more details soon.
    -Warren

8. URL shortener for Teams

When using the "get link" option in teams it would be better to have an embedded link shortener. Pasting the link in email looks terrible.

786 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This item is still being reviewed by the feature team.

-Warren

9. Make it possible to remove and/or rename the default tabs (files & notes)

It would be really great if we would be able to remove / rename the default tabs. A lot of times files / notes are too generic names for the tabs, so renaming would be really helpful then. :-)

637 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

121 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Warren responded

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this feature request has been declined.

-Warren

10. annotation of PDFs

The ability to annotate PDFs, or at least open in a PDF reader that will, without having to download the file, annotate, and upload.

594 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

133 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Upload files into directly into folders in Teams on iOS app

A requested feature in Teams on iOS device is the ability to upload files directly to folders in Teams. At this time, you may upload files in the conversation tab, but it will be uploaded directly in the root of the team. In what I request, you should be able to access the Teams file archive, go to the folder where you want to upload the file and then upload.

The picture shows where I'd love to have an "attach a file"-button.

545 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make saved Outlook attachments visible to Teams

Saving email attachments to a team Sharepoint site (Outlook 2016, Save to Onedrive, Group files) leaves them hidden from Teams. This is because the attachments are saved to the team's Sharepoint main folder, which is not associated with a channel. This is confusing to the user, who wonders why the files do not appear in Teams. The user has to know to open Sharepoint and manually relocate the attachments to the desired channel after saving them.

One solution would be to expose channels in Outlook 2016, so the user can select the channel where the files should be saved.

Another…

482 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow syncing of team files with OneDrive Sync Client

I have an Office 365 Group Created and syncing with OneDrive Sync Client. I added team features to the group. When I create a new channel in my team, a new folder is created in the group files. However, this folder is locked (and shows lock in the sync icon) so I don't have permission to work with any synced files.

308 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This item is still in the queue. I’m still awaiting more feedback and hope to have more details to share soon.

-Warren

14. Links/attachments in chat

If you attach an item to a chat it will be saved in the files section of the channel. But if you are chatting about a document and you want to reference it you do not want to save it to the channel as it is already in another folder of the SP Site. To create a copy in the channel does not make sense as you are creating duplicates. a link would be the solution.

303 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature is still in the works. No additional details are available at this time.
    -Warren

15. Tag Files for Searchability

As we upload files, it would be great to have the option to add Tags for the files. That way, when utilizing search, we could enter tags to be able to find results based on the tags specified.

296 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature is still under review. The feature team is digging into the details but have not made a decision yet.

-Warren

16. File locking bug in SharePoint - frequently get file locks.

File locking has been an issue in SharePoint for as long as I can remember, now carried forward into TEAMs.

This is an obstacle to our adoption of TEAMs - people get frustrated by it (including our TEAMs support team!).

Frequently unable to save my files because TEAMs/SharePoint believes another user (Me!) has it locked. Only answer (as ShaePoint won't let you rename or delete the original whilst locked) is to save a copy, close the file, wait 30 min or so and then hope TEAMs/SharePoint has sorted itself and delete the old file.

Seems to me that it happens…

242 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Drag and Drop Folder

Drag and Drop Folder: currently (2017-04-10) when dragging and dropping a folder from my harddrive to a team Files location the files are copied, but the folder is not. Have to first create the folder on Teams, then copy the files into the folder. Would prefer to drag and drop the fold and Teams will automatically create the folder and copy the files within it to that folder.

240 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is now on the backlog.

I’ll keep you posted as we move through development!
    -Warren

18. moving a document breaks link

When we are sorting out our filing system in files, creating new folders to move and tidy up our document's this changes the location of the document and breaks any links you have previously sent to users also the link in the conversations. This is extremely unworkable for our organisation, we need to be able to upload and move documents. keeping the integrity of any previous links sent. For example if you attach a document to a channel, this does not go into a folder it just sits in files, when links are sent round for this document they are…

234 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  40 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Upload a file to Teams directly from a desktop Office application

When I am creating a new file in an Office document I want there to be an option in the "Save as" location, to save to an Microsoft Team, similar to how there are options to save to your OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, and This PC locations. Right now I either have to remember to create the file from Teams or to create the file on my PC and then upload it manually to Teams.

232 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request has been accepted by the feature team and is now on the backlog. I’ll keep you posted as it moves through the development process.
    -Warren

20. Rich thumbnails for files

Can we get rich thumbnails for files the same way SharePoint document libraries now show? Pictures would show a preview and Office documents can show small thumbnails too

223 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request has been accepted by the feature team and is now on the backlog.
    Thank you for all the feedback.
    -Warren

← Previous 1 3 4 5 57 58
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.