Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.  

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow drag and drop from Outlook directly to Teams

Dragging and dropping attachments directly from the e-mail window without having to first drag them onto the desktop (for instance) and them from there dragging them to the files tab in Teams would make many lives so much easier.

There are a few suggestions to enable drag and dropping, but it seems that it is already working, at least with the desktop client, but making that work directly from an e-mail window would be very nice.

9,111 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

453 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have the download function of files allow you to select the destination

Currently files are downloaded only to the DOWNLOAD folder. Allow a save as function / select download location.

5,789 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

774 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create Team from existing SharePoint site, and other requests

1 User Request on SharePoint:

Enable integration of Microsoft Teams to an existing SharePoint site rather than to always create a new site collection

There have been a few ideas raised on integrating lists, OneNote, document libraries, etc. from an existing SharePoint site with Microsoft Teams, but in summary, it will be best if we could create a team upon on existing site, so that the "Files" and "Notes" tabs would directly reference the existing document library and OneNote in SharePoint. It does not make sense to have two separate sites: one for all the usual SharePoint stuff, and another…

4,109 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

318 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    on the backlog  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is working its way through the backlog queue. No new details are available yet.

-Warren

4. File column sort order

Make column sort order "sticky" so that if I prefer to sort my files by Name instead of Last Accessed, Team will remember my preference within a Team

3,274 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

525 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  Warren responded

This feature request is still in the works. I hope to have more updates soon. I’ll keep you posted.
    -Warren

5. URL shortener for Teams

When using the "get link" option in teams it would be better to have an embedded link shortener. Pasting the link in email looks terrible.

2,703 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

260 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

This item is still being reviewed by the feature team.

-Warren

6. Open in Word/Excel/PowerPoint as Default

It would be great if Teams would have the ability to always launch the desktop app when opening Office documents as opposed to launching the online version.

Rest of teams is awesome.

2,599 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

200 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature request is still in the works. No additional updates are available at this time. I’ll keep you posted as I hear more.

-Warren

7. Add other Sharepoint document folders under Files

Please allow adding granular SharePoint document library subfolders to the Files tab. Currently, only the document library level can be added, not sub folders.

This allows adding content from related but separate SharePoint sites without having to provide the entire document library (which may contain irrelevant content to the Team)

2,593 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

334 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. annotation of PDFs

The ability to annotate PDFs, or at least open in a PDF reader that will, without having to download the file, annotate, and upload.

2,064 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

481 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the ability to " Quick Print " a file without having to download or open in sharepoint

I want to have the ability to print a file without having to download it or opening Sharepoint. A "Quick Print" option would be 100% great

1,513 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

335 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Redirect files tab to the sharepoint document folder of the team site or give the possibility to hide the files tab.

Redirect files tab to the sharepoint document folder of the team site or give the possibility to hide the files tab.

1,048 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

170 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Setting to always open documents in native application

I never want to open the document in Teams, or in Office Online. I always want to use the native desktop program. Would be nice if there was a global setting so documents always opened in desktop applications.

833 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow opening of PDF documents directly into Adobe Reader DC for Editing docuemnts stored in SharePoint

Adobe Reader DC can Check-Out and Edit documents directly from SharePoint, but there's no way to initiate this from Teams. Instead you need to go to SharePoint, copy the link, and then open Reader DC, File, Open, and paste the link. This is cumbersome and time consuming for users who frequently edit PDF documents which are stored in Teams (SharePoint).

We would like a one-click to open in Reader DC from within Teams and an option to make this the default single-click behaviour.

Hopefully Microsoft's recent partnership with Adobe will help this one along.

797 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

73 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make saved Outlook attachments visible to Teams

Saving email attachments to a team Sharepoint site (Outlook 2016, Save to Onedrive, Group files) leaves them hidden from Teams. This is because the attachments are saved to the team's Sharepoint main folder, which is not associated with a channel. This is confusing to the user, who wonders why the files do not appear in Teams. The user has to know to open Sharepoint and manually relocate the attachments to the desired channel after saving them.

One solution would be to expose channels in Outlook 2016, so the user can select the channel where the files should be saved.

Another…

794 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

94 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. View photos in a gallery format within teams as you can do the same in sharepoint.

View photos in a gallery format within teams as you can do the same in sharepoint.

610 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

63 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Delete files shared in chat

Files shared in Chat are stored to OneDrive, but there is no way to delete file from within Teams. When file is deleted from OneDrive, it is (of course) no longer available and the individual gets a "Sorry, we couldn't find you file" error.

I would like to remove the shared file entry from the Teams chat.

550 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

96 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Acrobat

Need a better ability to open PDF files directly in adobe acrobat to edit, zoom, and pan effectively, or better PDF markup tools internal to Teams. The current viewing, scrolling, zooming, and editing tools are too limited, particularly when it comes to commenting or editing PDF versions of figures or drawings.

461 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Tag Files for Searchability

As we upload files, it would be great to have the option to add Tags for the files. That way, when utilizing search, we could enter tags to be able to find results based on the tags specified.

405 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Warren responded

This feature is still under review. The feature team is digging into the details but have not made a decision yet.

-Warren

18. Links/attachments in chat

If you attach an item to a chat it will be saved in the files section of the channel. But if you are chatting about a document and you want to reference it you do not want to save it to the channel as it is already in another folder of the SP Site. To create a copy in the channel does not make sense as you are creating duplicates. a link would be the solution.

397 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature is still in the works. No additional details are available at this time.
    -Warren

19. Ability to open multiple documents

Currently If I am editing a File in Teams, and if I have to refer another file present in Teams, I have to forcefully close existing document and go to the next file. It will be a nice to have feature if I can open other documents in Preview mode if I am editing a document.

391 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

71 comments  ·  Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. download file progress indicator

need file download progress indicator

377 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)