Public

Hi there, you’ve reached the user feedback site for Microsoft Teams. It’s managed by our Customer Advocacy Team inside Microsoft Teams Engineering led by Karuana Gatimu. Our entire team believes in representing your needs inside our engineering group and we appreciate the time you take to share them with us. Rest assured that a large team of dedicated people read and discuss your feedback!

Here’s how to get your voice heard:
1 — VOTE for existing ideas (this will also subscribe you to the idea’s status updates)
2 — SUBMIT new ideas (Please include only one suggestion per post. Duplicates are merged together.)
3 — RATE the product by clicking the little orange star on this page. This helps us understand our overall standing with users. It will collect your rating every six weeks.
4 — COMMENT in ideas’ threads, which we check regularly

For official product and feature updates we recommend three things:

Stay tuned here: We update our work items monthly
Read our Blog: Official announcements come from our blog at https://aka.ms/TeamsBlog
Review the Roadmap: Our upcoming features can be seen within the Microsoft 365 roadmap site at https://aka.ms/M365Roadmap

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more
The Fine Print:  We have partnered with UserVoice, third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.   

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Move conversations to different channels

If a conversation is started in one channel but gains importance to the point where the conversation deserves its own channel. Or a conversation was started in the wrong channel and needs to be moved

11,067 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

908 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

if you have an existing post that you want to show in a different channel, you can edit the message and cross-post. This will add the top-level post to the different channel, but will not include the full set of replies. We will keep this request in mind as we evolve the cross-posting feature in the future and update if the status changes.

Details on cross posting can be found here: https://support.office.com/article/cross-post-a-channel-conversation-in-teams-9c1252a3-67ef-498e-a7c1-dd7147b3d295.

2. Re-using the same Channel Name

After you create a channel, then choose to delete the channel, you can no longer create a NEW channel with the same name. It seems like you have to delete the team and start over.

398 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

68 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Warren responded

Updating the status to “Try this instead” and have added the clarification that after 30 days the name is once again available.

The reason for this decision was that Channels can be restored 30 days after being deleted. During this time, we intentionally don’t support creating a channel with the same name. After the 30 days, the name is available.

You can workaround this by restoring a deleted channel, renaming it, and then deleting the channel again. The previous name is then available for use.

This workaround has already been mentioned in the comments and if an immediate reuse of a Channel Name is required, this is the recommended solution.
    -Warren

3. disable team creation

From a safeguarding and child protection point of view, in a school environment, it is not appropriate to allow students or staff to create new teams. Can the ability to disable team creation please be added?

Unfortunately the powershell options to disable teams/O365 groups requires you to have Azure AD Premium, which many peopl including ourselves do not have. The UI option in Azure AD to stop users creating security/O365 groups, even when set to No, does not work.

Students are still able to create Teams, and the fear is that this could be used for bullying purposes. Our senior…

241 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Channels visibility

See all channels inside a teams in the left panel under the Team's Name

202 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

81 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Suphatra responded

Currently we have Teams defaulted to show you the first (up to five) channels ever created. If you want to add more channels to your left rail view, just click the ellipses next to the channel name and select “Favorite”. When you favorite the channel, it will then be “pinned” to your left rail under that team name.

Try that and let me know if that meets your needs!

Suphatra

5. Office 365 Homework Tracker!

Hello everyone,

I am a high school English teacher and have been using Office 365 apps for a while now. I am a great believer in the positive impact that ICT tools have on student engagement and effective teaching. Furthermore, I have been promoting the use of ICT in my faculty and with my colleagues, especially with reducing the amount of paper work we accumulate. Consequently, I believe the addition of a new feature will greatly encourage teachers to use Office 365. The new feature that I am proposing is a Homework Tracker for teachers. Homework is a critical part…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Teams and Channels  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    try this instead  ·  Suphatra responded

Hello,
    Thanks for sharing the information. We currently do have a product Microsoft Teams Assignments which has the similar feature that you described above. Please take a look at these articles (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/microsoft-teams-5aa4431a-8a3c-4aa5-87a6-b6401abea114?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US ) which will help you understand the work flow of the product and implementation. Hope you like the product and join us in the journey to make teachers life easy.

Thanks,
    Sai

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base