Changes to Teams for distance teaching in a public school middle school
Got some requests from the Jason Lee Middle School Electives PLC for changes to Teams that would help teachers.
• A ‘Student’ category with certain rights and privileges
• Teams meetings can be terminated by the teacher(s) at any time
• Students must wait in a waiting room before the teacher allows them to enter the Teams meeting
• A student can be Kicked out of a meeting by the teacher as a punitive measure for inappropriate behavior
• The ability for the teacher to hide inappropriate chat entries from other students
• Restrict which students can chat and when students can chat
• The ability for the teacher to mute and/or un-mute a student when instruction requires this control
• Breakout rooms that can be joined by the teacher at will, but are safe (observed) for student when the teacher is use not in that particular breakout room
I don’t believe that our PLC is expert in MicroSoft Teams so if these suggestions are already available and part of Teams, please let us know.
Márton Bacsó commented
Some of your requests are already available. For example:
>Teams meetings can be terminated by the teacher(s) at any time
>A student can be Kicked out of a meeting by the teacher as a punitive measure for inappropriate behavior
>The ability for the teacher to hide inappropriate chat entries from other students
As far as I know, MS is working on breakout rooms, but I don't know how they are going to work. You can mute students now, but in my opinion unmute, while it seems a good idea can cause other problems. Sometimes you can hear things you do not want to hear or you are not allowed to hear.