How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Converting space to non breaking space

It seems that recently Teams starting converting space characters to non breaking space characters. The text with non breaking spaces doesn't work the same, e.g. a search query that not fails.

44 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Trevor Dearham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Bill Bradbury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem for me, copied working SQL into Teams for a colleague to run.
    He copied it from Teams and ran it, but it gave an error.
    So I copied it back from Teams and it no longer ran for me either.
    It looked the same as the original.
    I did a Hexdump and could see anywhere with two or more spaces, Teams had changed the extra spaces to hex a0 (the "non breaking space" Trevor mentioned)
    So currently Teams cannot be used to share code snippets in Chat.
    Is there a setting that can be changed to stop Teams replacing spaces with non breaking spaces?

• Ewen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has caused a number of issues following our recent enterprise migration from Slack to Teams, and the explanation is not obvious for non-expert users. Another vote for this being very annoying...

• none commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we get this problem in copy/paste CODE with hard space. Trouble trouble trouble
    in code quoted text. (```)

• David Rawlins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google led me here.
    This is quite a problem as we often share code snippets through Teams chat and you have to resort to Notepad++ to convert back to true space. Very annoying and utterly unnecessary :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal breaker for my development team, we're defying management and going back to Slack.
    This is the main reason programmers use Slack, certainly the main reason for me.

Let us be thankful Teams doesn't swap out hyphen for mdash.

• Jeremiah Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

JSON has been the most painful so far, because it converts valid JSON into invalid JSON. See the attached files. valid.json was pasted into Teams using ```. invalid.json is what was copied.

• Philippe Laplanche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this replacement is enabled when using ``` shortcut to start inserting code but disabled when using the "insert code snippet"

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.