Change the behavior of conference calls
- Give us the option to turn off the dumb vertical-video cropping and just present the video letterboxed if needed.
90% of my conference calls I get a clear view of a table and NONE of the participants because I have another remote user cutting my 4k display in half and the "intelligent" cropping is dumb as ****.
- DO NOT SPLIT THE VIDEO PANE FOR NON-VIDEO PARTICIPANTS. WHY IS THIS EVEN A THING?!
Put a bubble with their avatar at the bottom of the screen and animate it somehow so I know when they are talking. It's literally that simple.
- Give us the ability to mark more than one video feed as important and present the optimum amount of screen space for their feeds.
There are three classes of people in video conferences: important presenters, active audience members, and passive audience members. I don't care what passive audience members are doing, so I don't need to see their feed has. I also don't need to focus on what active audience members are doing as much as how the presenter is going to respond to them. Below is how I'd like to be able to see 2 presenters, 4 active audience members, and 3 passive audience members (or AUDIO members).
[|] <-- Important video feeds
[|||] <-- Audience members (if wanted)
[_____ooo] <-- Audio / unwanted video members
I care most about being able to tile the important feeds using roughly 75% of the viewable space.
Active audience members I'd like to use the remaining 25% of the space, where active participants are pulled into view when they talk, cycling quiet members out.
Passive member icons can float above the active audience members, applying the same cycling behavior as active audience members.
Steven Berlan commented
4. If I click on a passive participant that has a video feed, move it to the active audience members so I can see their feed.
5. If I unpin the important video, move them to the active audience member feeds.
6. If I pin an active audience member feed, move it to the important video feeds.
7. If too many active audience members are showing, move least active feed to passive members.