How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Mac Teams Helper: Takes up too much CPU and makes app almost unusable

I can't use teams with out it lagging severely. When I go and look at the processes running, It always looks like the 'helper' is taking up crazy amounts of CPU and it lags out the application to the point of it almost being unusable.

I've tried closing the application, rebooting, re-installing, checking for updates, etc.. nothing works.

I'm on macOS Mojave 10.14.2

68 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still experiencing this issue. I have to turn off Teams on the notebook and rely on the phone app just for my MacBook Pro to not burn my hands while I type.

Switching to Teams was the biggest mistake my company ever made.

Has there been a resolution to this? The impact this app is having on my battery is astounding.

• LuHurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    The load causes the fan to go nuts (and me as well).
    Come on MS. This is really a pain **********.

• Neil Despres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for me on Sierra 10.12.6. Seems to start when I initiate a screen-sharing meeting, but persists even after the meeting ends.

• Abhijit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem with my mac. If I am in a call for more than 30 min with video / Screen sharing problem starts. had to restart several time to continue working, please fix this.

• Carty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is cooking mac's across our organisation - please can you let me know if you have picked this up?

yep, also having exactly the same problem around CPU Utilisation, currently on macOS High Sierra

• Dan Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same, 120% on the CPU until i close down teams on a mac and then it instantly fixes any issues i'm having with performance. Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65). Teams Version 1.2.00.3961

Same issue here.. spiked the CPU core temps over 100C across all cores while on a screen sharing call. Has Microsoft commented on this issue yet?

same here... teams consumes lot of CPU power! especially during calls with screen sharing

120-150% CPU for Teams Helper when in my meetings on our Macs too (10.14)

I'm seeing this, too. Spikes up to 120% cpu (according to activity monitor) I'm not in a meeting, or doing anything with teams.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, while using Teams Meeting feature. (Mojave 10.14.3, Teams 1.2.00.1761)

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly what I'm experiencing on all my company Macs, ~30 total. CPU spikes on one of the three existing helper processes in Teams when I'm typing. This happens on MacBook Airs and Pros on all different versions High Sierra and Mojave. Basic CPU is around 2-6% which is already too high. Then when we start typing it shoots up to ~60%.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

You are about to visit the UserVoice site for Microsoft Teams

We have partnered with UserVoice, a 3rd party service providing public discussion forums for product-specific feedback.

By clicking "Continue to UserVoice" you agree to UserVoice's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.