How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Allow ANYBODY to share their screen

Currently we have to use other services such as Google Hangout/Meet or other video conferencing apps to meet with people outside of our company, because MS Teams does not allow screen sharing for anonymous guests. Its a real pain ********** that Teams doesn't have this ability and most other services do. We meet with people outside of our company a lot so we frequently need to abandon MS Teams for these meetings.

330 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    working on it  ·  AdminAlex (Teams Engineering, Microsoft Teams) responded  · 

At this point, screen sharing is enabled in our desktop client, but not web client. (in general, not just anonymous/guests). Adding browser support is in progress.

Please comment if you are using the desktop app and are still unable to do so.

I will keep you posted once available. Thanks.

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the key feature that keeps us from global Teams adoption, is there any update on an ETA for this?

• Robert Kinahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with allow anybody to share their screen. It means the difference between using TEAMS or not using.

• ponry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

have a lot of Web client users, hence this will be nice if it becomes available please.

I can't agree strongly enough with this. We are almost complete with our move from Skype for Business to Teams and seriously need this functionality urgently. About half of all our calls are to our clients, many of whom cannot install desktop apps.

Could someone please post an update on when we can expect this functionality to be ready?

Microsoft: It's all very well pushing for all companies to use Teams and replace Skype for Business but the product needs to be ready BEFORE you encourage all of us to move products, not afterwards!!!!!

Would we be able to know when this feature would be available? As an organization, we are in the process to migrate our Skype for Business users to Microsoft Teams. If you can let us know any updates so we can plan accordingly, it will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, having the same problem in our organisation. When I, as a Dynamics 365 admin user come across issues that need troubleshooting by Microsoft contacts, we are unable to share our screens with each other to facilitate the trouble shooting of the issue.

I click Join meeting, in MS Teams, but am unable to Join - nothing happens.

Thanks.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Video conferencing with the ability to share your screen through a web browser (Firefox, Edge, and i suppose Chrome) is critical. Expecting guests to install an app to screen share is not practical at all. some guests don't have privileges to install apps. And spending time (during the meeting!!) trying to setup the guest with the app is embarrassing and a waste of time. Screen sharing is fundamental in trying to explain something to a group remotely! This one issue seriously cripples the whole point of Teams.

• Henrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF, we just migrated to Office 365 and now find out that screen sharing is not possible in the Teams web client. Guess we have to move back to using Google Meet so that users with Linux can share screen in meetings and customers can join with ease with a link through their web browser with screen sharing support...

• Pyyppönen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WE NEED THIS SOON AS POSSIBLE! We can't communicate with our customers without it.

• Mark Vis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree! This one thing has prevented us from wide-spread adoption of Teams in our company.

• Dusan Tomic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, such important feature and has only 200 votes?!
        I think soon MSFT will not have anything to compete with against Gsuite and Slack, etc. All of them can do more basic stuff than MSFT products.

• Patryk Szalanski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our whole company is switching to Teams as the main means of instant communication and video calling. Since I am using a Linux Workstation, I depend on the Web Client. Seeing that many other web solutions are able to capture a desktop image, please consider raising the priority of this issue in your pipeline.

Hi, i fully support the view of Dwayne —would be really nice to see in this thread feedback from the responsible product manager inside microsoft

• Dwayne Alton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The team behind Microsoft Teams, and Office for that matter, have constantly shown that they are unable to build rich web applications. They favor fat clients with differing user experience across platforms.

They have also obviously intended to cripple the experience for Chrome users by not allowing video calling and screen sharing. When I asked about this in one of their AMAs, their response was that Chrome support is not a priority. This makes no sense, given that Chrome is the most popular browser. And even though they market Teams to education as their online classroom experience, they ignore the fact that almost 60% of device shipments to US K-12 institutions are Chromebooks.

The right path forward is to eliminate fat clients. Build progressive web apps that work on all platforms. Support WebRTC for communication and screen sharing. Stop crippling the product on competing platforms.

We just moved from Webex to Teams and this is becoming such a big issue for us that we may move back - I am still in sock it wasn't part of the original design. ALL OTHERS HAVE IT!

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunate and basically unusable in its current state for external users.

I just had a Teams meeting with a guest, and like all of the other tools on the market, it was expected they can share their screen. But, they were on the web client and the entire group wasted 20 minutes switching to a different product to do this meeting. Meanwhile, WebEx, GoToMeeting, JoinMe all can do this without issue.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base