How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Share more information with us, please!

"How can you make Microsoft Teams better?"
> This is no technical feature..

1. More updates on top X ideas. More interaction with the people who are using the App. People who take the effort to post/vote ideas feel left out if you stop providing updates or don't respond at all. This is not just a forum that can exist without a moderator. This is an enterprise corperation's official UserVoice site. Meaning, no voice of the corporation = bad

2. Provide an up to date roadmap. The current roadmap is great, it looks nice (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Teams%2CLaunched). Sadly most uservoice ideas with status "Working on It" can't be found on this roadmap. What's up with that?

3. Be honest. Either you are working on a feature or you are not. We are also real persons. Don't just delete updates, people feel like being lied to.

174 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jonas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Sucks talking to a rock for months only to then get a 1 sentence update that doesn't tell us anything.

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Even if we get something like a fortnightly update on say, the top 10 uservoice items with updates. Even if it's still "working on it". Just to know there's movement helps.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Sucks talking to a rock for months only to then get a 1 sentence update that doesn't tell us anything.

• Mason Schuler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. The pace and value of the updates is sorely lacking, at least on the Top 3/5/10 voted asks

• Sean Ellis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A recent example of why a new contract between MS and UserVoice contributors is sorely required is the Compact Mode update from 15 December 2018:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17408641-compact-mode

Over two years after submission, and 670+ days after being told that the Teams team is "working on it" (with tales of "months of work" being done testing designs, no less), it has now been revealed that it was never being worked on.

It is now in "planned" state, and they are now "seriously considering" adding this feature at some unspecified point in the future.

This is the antithesis of transparent development. It's not even opaque - it appears to be intentionally misleading.

• JerzyBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We get paid to correct or fix things. Not work on things. I'm sure there is lots going on, and can't imagine how difficult development is in this environment. At least I think things are being worked on. Not sure what that is though.... So many moving parts and considerations in such a complex environment. We all want a solid product. Details would be helpful to gain the trust of the community that someone is in fact, REALLY working on it. Working on what? What is the problem, what is the due date? I rather read, "We were trying to fix a communication problem in the product, but got pulled for a high priority failure." Or "We had a deadline of x, but due to an unforeseen circumstances related to x compliance needs, or integration issues into y, necessitate further considerations. Accessing now, which should take about 30 days or x/x/xx to provide next update".

• JerzyBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is after all called Uservoice. Not Microsoft voice. Sorry for the snide remark, but I agree fully. Its unfortunately common among many company's and all that needs to be done is allow those who do monitor to provide what is really going on. Poorly handled but thats is my honest feedback.

• Ward Durossette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this post. Basically Sean is describing the Holy Grail of project management: Transparent and Communicative. Well said.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd just add that my vote for this doesn't mean Microsoft owes me anything. You are offering an impressive array of software to us, and we appreciate it!
        I'm trying to navigate adoption of Teams in our org, and the requests I and others are making on UserVoice have the potential to make that easier. This stands to help Microsoft. We want to be friends and partners.

I'd like to make it abundantly clear that this is not a criticism of Suphatra and the UserVoice moderation team, who can only work with the information given to them by the product management team.

On UserVoice, there are many ideas which are in "Working on it" state which nevertheless have no updates, or updates with no information.

Please allow us to contribute to the development.

1. Give regular updates

Some of the "working on it" items have had no updates from the admin team in 3 months.

2. Make sure the regular updates have real information

Too often the updates are just "we're still working on it, nothing to report". If you are working on it, then there should be something to report. For example, the #1 UI request, compact mode, has had no actual progress reported for 8 months.

3. If requirements are not clear, ask, and ask quickly.

If it's not clear what we are asking for, we'll be very happy to tell you. In excruciating detail. People make mockups and prototypes to show you what we need all the time - leverage that enthusiasm.

For example, it was a year after you said you'd started on compact mode before anyone popped up and asked "Er, what you you mean by compact, exactly?"

4. Share screenshots, design goals, and other substantial information, to allow us to help steer implementation

An example of this process not working is the implementation of slash-commands. Only after going through the whole development process was it discovered that the proposed design did not meet the basic requirements of the users. By sharing earlier, we could have helped the Teams developers deliver something that was more useful, rather than wasting precious development time.

Similarly, the last update on compact mode was back in March, and delivered exactly the opposite of what was required. Rather than displaying more information in a limited space, it simply removed useful information by collapsing threads. This was not at all what people were asking for.

5. Let us trust you

Too often we just see no evidence that you're "working on it". We want to use this product. We want to see it improve.

But too often we see simple, obvious improvements (options! options!) sitting there going nowhere, while you simultaneously tell us that they are progressing. Give us evidence. Rebuild trust with the UserVoice user base.

Feedback and Knowledge Base