How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Lock the Video Spotlight

In Skype for Business hosted meetings, there is a feature called "Lock the Video Spotlight" that allows you to choose a video feed that's displayed to all participants. This feature does not appear to be in the Teams client today, and it doesn't appear on the Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams Capabilities Roadmap.

In some Teams meetings I want all my participants to just view one presenters video stream and not have the 4 participant split view. We need a way for the Teams meeting host to force their video to be prominent from the participants view.

https://aka.ms/skype2teamsroadmap

164 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just make it like Zoom Meeting.... this option is already working in other apps...

• Alan Lai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential to VC. Grateful if you could Implement the feature on Teams. Thanks a lot.

The other issue Is "telepresence"..... i.e. the ability for each end point to lock the screen on whichever other meeting participant is in the meeting. Example.... Each Monday morning we have an all staff meeting between two conference rooms with live participants. We want Room A to lock on the image from Room B and the Room B people to lock on the image from Room A. This is standard practice with H.323 systems and is also present with Zoom.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't even mind so much if the 4-participant split view were the only option, as long as I could "pin" a participant's feed so that they always appear as one of the four no matter who is talking.

• Sara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this.
        In our recent meeting, since there was no way for my video to be the sole one displayed for all participants, all the other participants had to be dropped from the meeting so that the host could see the data plan on the wall through my video. As someone else mentioned, this 'undermines the use of the tool for large conference calls'.

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got a response on this topic some time ago when asking during a Microsoft Teams AMA event claiming the Teams developers are working on this but I have no idea when to expect it https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-AMA/How-can-you-lock-video-spotlight-in-Teams-just-as-in-Skype/m-p/299861

Stall can't find any info in the roadmap
        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Rolling%20Out%2CLaunched&searchterms=teams

• Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would also be great when you have dial-in participants, because the phone number is currently displayed as one of the participants and takes up space on the screen, often showing up larger than actual video.

Indeed, I would like to see the TEAMS videoconferencing capability built-out so that we could hold real meetings with similar camera and view control available with H.323 systems like Cisco SX or Polycom. Full screen presentation should be a given. The "hollywood squares" are fine...but what if you want more than 4 people displayed... (maybe I want 12, for example).

Frankly, given the so-called strategic direction of TEAMS as part of Microsoft's offerings, I'm not sure why TEAMS isn't getting more development resources. As it is, it is a lame conglomeration of bits and bobs built on top of SharePoint, and OneDrive....with those things bleeding through at inconvenient times, and with only a subset of the communications capability of Skhpe 4 Business.

It's quite disconcerting in a big meeting when you can't work out who's talking. Not really much point in having the video capability at all in such cases...

• Ryan Whitaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. This feature should be considered baseline functionality for Video conferencing.

• Dylan Rhea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critically missing feature and undermines the use of the tool for large conference calls.

• Erik Olsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great for training/education, in classroom settings etc. Feature request has come up from a few customers. Any word on this feature coming to Teams?

• yu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the above idea,
        Of the participant views divided into four, one is a fixed view and the other three participants wish to be displayed in floating.

Feedback and Knowledge Base