How can we make Microsoft Teams better?

Lock the Video Spotlight

In Skype for Business hosted meetings, there is a feature called "Lock the Video Spotlight" that allows you to choose a video feed that's displayed to all participants. This feature does not appear to be in the Teams client today, and it doesn't appear on the Skype for Business to Microsoft Teams Capabilities Roadmap.

In some Teams meetings I want all my participants to just view one presenters video stream and not have the 4 participant split view. We need a way for the Teams meeting host to force their video to be prominent from the participants view.

https://aka.ms/skype2teamsroadmap

300 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Timbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alex - Can you tell us what "officially on the backlog" really means? Its a roadblock for our Skype to Teams migration. Our distance learning facilities require this feature. Please provide an idea of when the feature will be available.

• Jon Vassar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's the Teams team missing the ball again on useful features for their customers. Like others, this is one of the few reasons we still have Skype for Business enabled on our tenant. This and dual screen use to split off video and content presentation are the ONLY things that keep Skype for Business alive for us.

• Craig D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only reason we still use Skype over Teams for larger group or single presenter type meetings. This is a MUST HAVE feature before we can switch over to Teams only mode.

• Steve Yuroff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2019 bump: Yes, please. We are not all equal participants in all events: sometimes there's a speaker, and an audience- some in the room, some remote workers joining via Teams.

In that situation, the remotes workers shouldn't see their fellow remotes as equal screen space as the presenter, there should be an ability to make the speaker a larger visual priority.
    Also- an active speaker highlight. GTM has it, as does Zoom, assuredly more that I haven't met.

• Anders Christensson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

During Spring Planning we are using physical boards, and an pan-tilt-zoom camera, so we can focus on a specific area on the board. If the distant participants should be able to see the text on board they need to be able to see that video stream in full screen.

This functionallity exists in Skype for Business and is called Lock the Video Spotlight
    I would also be usefull to see the other particpants on a separate screen in the conference room, but this should be on an separate screen or via the projector. So the requirement is actually that each particpant should be able to configure how they want to view the camera streams.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AMEN!!! This is a must-have in Teams. I just started using Teams and was confounded as to why I was unable to show a single video view to all participants.

• Jesus Guzman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Feature shall NEVER be left out. I can see it in Skype For Business, but if Microsoft is moving towards TEAMS, it needs to stay. Furthermore, lets improve it...LEts use this feature and show the Speaker in Spotlight!. That way when someones is talking it will show in bigger screen.

After all, Polycom does this and if we are moving under Microsoft's platform, we MUST have reasons to STAY within the platform and not going with other company that offers what we need.

• Alexandros Voskidis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is absolutely CRITICAL to the viability of Microsoft Teams as a primary conferencing solution for any company / enterprise. I'm a Sr. Administrator with OneWeb, and the lack of this feature threatens the very deployment of Microsoft Teams to our company. It baffles me how such a foundation feature was left out..

For the sake of large scale meetings being supported by Teams from an administrative point, implement this feature ASAP. Until then, Teams seems geared towards consumers rather than enterprises.

• Hans Sundling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is important for us to have implemented a.s.a.p. as we use it allot in Skype for Business meetings today and are about to migrate over to Teams very soon.

Just make it like Zoom Meeting.... this option is already working in other apps...

• Alan Lai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential to VC. Grateful if you could Implement the feature on Teams. Thanks a lot.

The other issue Is "telepresence"..... i.e. the ability for each end point to lock the screen on whichever other meeting participant is in the meeting. Example.... Each Monday morning we have an all staff meeting between two conference rooms with live participants. We want Room A to lock on the image from Room B and the Room B people to lock on the image from Room A. This is standard practice with H.323 systems and is also present with Zoom.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't even mind so much if the 4-participant split view were the only option, as long as I could "pin" a participant's feed so that they always appear as one of the four no matter who is talking.

• Sara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this.
    In our recent meeting, since there was no way for my video to be the sole one displayed for all participants, all the other participants had to be dropped from the meeting so that the host could see the data plan on the wall through my video. As someone else mentioned, this 'undermines the use of the tool for large conference calls'.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base