I'm challenged with trying to utilize what O365 offers vs the third party our organization currently has.
Our construction company(we run/build restaurants (110 and counting we operate)) is trying to replace Procore which is a more specialized version of Planner I'd suggest. So, maybe for the zero cost we could use Planner.
My first impression is that it feels like Microsoft (clunky and incomplete). My hope is that they progress it as it's Soooo close, but yet so far from anybody getting excitment from it with all the standard clunky 1/2 baked Microsoft-ism's.
So, my contribution as I don't know who ever listens are as follows after 1 day. Also 1 day exposure to Monday.com which on the surface blows this away. Not my surface but a standard user's surface.
You need to improve or make enhancments for the following:
1) It needs to be consistent. You can't add a File attachment in Chrome, but you can in Edge? why? Build for chome where the user base is a magnitude larger.
2) Grid View. Talk to the Excel team and get that done, you own that space.
3) Exporting for one-page reviews from executives that just want the numbers not have to attemp to click around in the poorly designed interface. There's always a feeling of "where do i??" Hire a UI person please at some point. Just know your limitations and understand you ain't ever gonna be as good as EVERYONE else with your current legacy staff/managment.
4) Test you sh*t? I can't imagine you even have a QA team, but that just feels CRAZY!! There aren't many people that get on your systems (Planner/Teams in this case) and are confused. I don't think you let your tech's design because the kinda bite and if it's a UI team. You gotta make changes.
5) Consistancy again. Am I really going to have to do different things in the Desktop vs web? Why add to the confusion and shoot yourself in the foot. Don't release it until!! Who would use this when everything else is just that much better.
6) Why do I need to buy a $3/month add-on to export my data? That's astonishingly poor development that makes this product useless. You need to review Monday.com. The tile view should be an option and I promise you nobody would use it because you can't see hafe your sh*t on the screen!! Back to the UI team issue. Just because you have Tiles in some things doens't mean it's good for everything. Like READING your tasks.
7) Have you forgot that you have a search engine team? You mean if I have 50 tasks I seriously can't search for it? Let me get this straight. You covered Tiles, but thought search was for the future? Good call. I put this against our Base Camp users and despite the mess of **** that is. It's still easier to find things that Planner.
8) Whatever intimidation culture exists in this dev team the leadership needs to embrace better idea's for people that understand how to make something user friendly. I even thing most people just know M$ software products are going to be 2nd rate and we live with them because it's more painful to get out of the bubble. However if things were easy to use and made sense? Gold. That's about 2 hours of work with a red marker to set you right. Hire someone. Hire someone with a critical eye and get it right. something!!